What is your least favorite Muppet Movie?

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Well the Web content we had before the 2011 movie was almost like a Muppet Show, but now you can't even find them anymore.

There is a person on YouTube who has posted all of the seasons of the Muppet Show on there channel. They are complete videos, so you don't have to look for part one, two and three of an episode. Some of them even have the Brian Henson intros, so they are out there, not officially but they are out there.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Not official= no way to support the franchise. You can watch virtually anything some guy puts up on Youtube, but being able to support a franchise means that there's a chance that we can see clean official versions in the future.

deex2

Reaction score
God I think I just died and went to Heaven. There are other people who discuss the worst Muppet Movie also? Ok, I think it's the Wizard of Oz one, but that wasn't in theaters. Maybe Muppets in Space?

JonnyBMuppetMan

Reaction score
I would most likely consider Muppets from Space to be the worst of the Muppets’ theatrical films, but that doesn’t mean I think it’s absolutely horrible. I caught an airing of it on the Hub relatively recently, and I didn’t hate it as much as I thought I was going to. I do give it credit for its Muppety moments (the boarding house opening, talking sandwich, etc.), though they seem far and few in-between. My main qualms with the movie is that the majority of the story is this cynical government spying, UFO, plot thread which I swear echoes several other films of that era (Men in Black?). It just screams “wannabe-edgy late 90’s-early 00’s family film” to me. That and I find Jeffery Tambor’s character is extremely unlikable, like he had a disturbed childhood or something. Also, the ending’s kind of a dud; I wasn’t mad about it like some other people are, but I guess what tees people off is that it’s really a nothing ending (Tambor gains alien acceptance, Gonzo’s an alien, whatevs.) If Juhl or Mazzarino had it their way, one can see how the movie could have been better.

Muppet Treasure Island strikes me as the most forgettable of the Muppet movies, and I probably like it even less than MFS. It rehashes a lot of elements from Xmas Carol, and I can only remember certain scenes and maybe only two or three songs.

As for 2011’s The Muppets, while I can understand some criticisms against it, it usually seems to amount to one’s personal taste. I especially enjoyed seeing this in theaters, and while I may have a few nitpicks with it now, I think in principle it’s a very good movie, and I can willingly recommend it over practically any modern-day movie reboot of a classic franchise.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I see what you mean about those two. MFS could have been much better, but then again it could have also had a lot more movie shout outs than it already had. It's a good if you watch it for Gonzo, the new characters, and Jeffery and Bobo's scenes... but Kermit comes off as not wanting to be there, as does Piggy. I still don't see why Animal's in the rescue party as all he does is a mildly amusing sequence with Kathy Griffin.

MTI I quite prefer over MCC for one reason. MCC almost slavishly followed the original story adding some slightly Muppety undertones, some superficial. Like Fozziewig's Rubber Chicken factory. Whereas MTI followed the book but far more playfully and much, much looser. The song Cabin Fever alone is the epitome of Muppetiness. Add a flamboyant actor in the villain role hamming it the heck up. and it's certainly a lot more lively than MCC. Seems that they learned a lesson in overall tone from that film.

Still, I'm glad there aren't any more "classic retellings" in the future.

JonnyBMuppetMan

Reaction score
MTI I quite prefer over MCC for one reason. MCC almost slavishly followed the original story adding some slightly Muppety undertones, some superficial. Like Fozziewig's Rubber Chicken factory. Whereas MTI followed the book but far more playfully and much, much looser. The song Cabin Fever alone is the epitome of Muppetiness. Add a flamboyant actor in the villain role hamming it the heck up. and it's certainly a lot more lively than MCC. Seems that they learned a lesson in overall tone from that film.

Still, I'm glad there aren't any more "classic retellings" in the future.
Yeah, I'm happy that hasn't become a regular theme, especially with their movies.

I'll say you put up a much better defense for MTI than I could. It's been many months since I last sat through it and while it's good overall and has great moments, for some reason, it doesn't stick out to me as much as other Muppet movies.

Undoubtedly "The Muppets".
:shifty: Eh, to each his own.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
The problem with Muppets from Space is that it had potential. Sure, they could have taken a few more risks with certain other Muppet films, but there was such a genuine air of indifference behind the production. Sony and Henson pretty much waved the thing off, not being surprised when it flopped at the box office. Troubled productions rarely produce positive effects, and MFS's production trouble was it's downfall.

But there are some genuinely funny bits and I can't say I didn't enjoy it and still do. I still enjoy it more than MCC, even though MCC is the better put together film.
I agree about how even though they tried harder with MCC, MFS turned out better. MFS even with Kermit and Piggy basically phased out had a true muppety feeling. MCC though a great film didn't feel like a muppet movie, the background muppets felt like they were depressed, basically the whole atmosphere of the film felt like they were suffering a loss, and they were. I think MCC would never have worked, because Kermit needed to be Scrooge, but Kermit and Scrooge are obviously polar opposites. MFS would've been great if Brian Henson or heck even Frank Oz if he'd have been willing to directed the film. The reason why only 5 or 6 muppets appeared in the film was because of the following comparision. This is NOT real, but an assumtion based on facts of Mr. Hill, with all due respect to him and no offense to him. Please no offense.
Muppets From Space Director Tim Hill​
Tim Hill: Ok guys I'm going to be directing "Muffins From Space"​
Dave Goelz: It's muppets​
Tim Hill: Sure​
Dave Goelz: Do you think this guy's qualified.​
Brian Henson: Give the kid a break, it's his directorial debut.​
Dave Goelz: Ok I'll see if he's qualified.​
(Goelz walks up to Hill)​
Dave: Mr. Hill name all the muppets off the top of your head.​
Tim: Kermit, Miss Piggy, Fonzie, Animal, Big Bird, and Elmo and that's it​
Dave: Name the weirdo of the muppets.​
Tim: All of them, right I think Elmo is weird I mean isn't he weird?​
Dave: So how do you plan to be a director.​
Tim: Well I read the script about that guy was it Johnny Depp who wasn't an alien in the end, but I think he should be an alien.​
Dave: WHAT!​
Tim: Hey I'm the director, peace out.​
Not to make Tim Hill seem like an antagonist, but he seriously ddidn't know much about the muppets to really direct a muppet movie, let's go through the muppet movie directors.​
TMM 1979 - James Frawely: A professiona, and it was the golden age of muppets so he probab;y knew a thing or two about them.​
GMC 1981 - Jim Henson: Well, he made the muppets​
MTM 1984 - Frank Oz: Even though it was his debut (prior to co-directing TDC) he obviously knew the muppets.​
MCC 1992 - Brian Henson: Jim Henson's son; need I say more​
MTI 1996 - Brian Henson: Jim Henson's son; need I say more​
MFS 1999 - Tim Hill: Is he a professional director, NO! Is he a muppet colleuge, NO! Is he a muppet fan, NO! Does he have anything to do with the muppets whatsoever, absolutely NOT!​
TM 2011 - James Bobin: Ok he's not a muppet colleuge, BUT read this!​
The Muppets (2011) Director James Bobin​
Steve Whitmire: Hey James is coming today wanna give him the old quiz.​
Dave Goelz: I've only done that once with Hill, and that didn't turn out good.​
Dave Goelz: (sigh) But I'll do it.​
Dave Goelz: Hello James, this may seem akward but name all the muppets off the top of your head.​
James Bobin: Wayne, Wanda, Beaker: meep, Bunsen, Mildred Huxtetter, George, Marvin Suggs, Uncle Deadly, Link Hogthrob...​
Dave Goelz: Ok, thanks.​
Steve Whitmire: SO?​
Dave Goelz: He's qualified.​
James is evidently a muppet fan and he's probably seen the muppet movies a billion times and he let the muppet performers help him do what, he didn't let Kermit leave Bunsen and Beaker at a gas station, he didn't make Fozzie dumb, he asked for help from the wise, and he used the muppet bible. Though I enjoy MFS, and Tim Hill did a decent job, he wasn't quailified to direct a muppet film.​

Muppet Master

Reaction score
I have to tell you. The Muppeteers actually liked working on that film. Peter Linz says he had fun making it. However it seems they didn't like working with Jeffery Tambor judging by this:

The only project the Muppeteers hated working on was the Studio DC specials. Personally, I don't hate any of the Muppet movies.
My computer only shows a blank white photo, can you please tell me what that is.