Making a sack-body monster Puppet, first puppet in a long time...

CrowTeeRobot

Reaction score
So, after a few years without any puppet making, I’m jumping back in head first. I decided to make a sack-body monster puppet with a couple of yards of fur I bought years back, actually after visiting the Jim Henson's Fantastic World Exhibit when it was in Philadelphia.
I got the foam pattern from John Kennedy's “Puppet Planet” and modified the same pattern for the fur covering. I've been using a whip stitch and the seams have all been completely invisible so far.
I made the nose by carving it out of foam and then coming up with a two-piece pattern to cover it with, I originally tried a pattern I found online and stuffed it with poly-fil, but wasn't satisfied with the results. I stitched together the pattern using polar fleece. The tongue is just a piece of cardboard with pink fleece hot-glued over it, and I added depth by coloring it with crayons.
Nothing is glued or attached permanently in these pictures, I just wanted to get some photos before I stitched and glued the covering on permanently.
I'm going to see if I can't make the body tomorrow with nearly invisible seams using my sewing machine. I'm also going do some experimenting to figure out the eyes and nose position.
I’m hoping to finish up by the end of the weekend, and I’ll post more WIP pictures as I go, hopefully it’ll come out as good as it looks in my head!

CrowTeeRobot

Reaction score
This project had to take the back burner for a long time, but this Thanksgiving we went out to visit my Sister, Brother-in-law, and my niece who just turned two, and I decided to finish the puppet up so she could enjoy it.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to take any WIP pictures, but I'm happy with how he came out, and my niece absolutely adored it and got sad whenever I put him away.

I'm not quite satisfied with the eye focus, and am planning on adjusting it to be not quite so high, but otherwise, I am very pleased!

Great pattern! How's it comin' (love your avatar btw!) ?
Thanks! My avatar is actually the first puppet I ever made, it was actually supposed to be a caricature of myself, I still have it in a box somewhere. :smile: