New Puppet - Baby puppet (doesn't have a name yet)

downunderbatman

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Been busy working on a new puppet for a friend who is writing a skit. I'm making three puppets to begin with, the baby, a nanny (elderly babysitter) and a bear. I had made the bear but wasn't happy with it, it was too large and not cute enough, going to start again with that one.

Anyway, here is baby. He's basically the punto pattern from project puppet, with a lower jaw foam skull piece added to give the bottom more body. Eyes came from an online shop that sells blank character eyes, the nose was a black comic nose from the same place attached to the face then flesh colored antron glued over the top. The character is antron fleece, the hair is some antique bear hair I had floating around.

Hope you guys like him, still working out how to do his clothing, something I've not really tackled too much as most of my characters have been characters that didn't require clothing (elmo, kermit etc) or existing baby clothes worked fine for. I want to give it a nappy to wear but need to leave a nice hole for the hand access. If anyone has any patterns for something similar that I could modify to fit I'd be grateful.

Greg

Twisted Tails

Reaction score
Oh boy! This Baby Muppet looks like trouble, but very cute. Awwwwwwww!

downunderbatman

Reaction score
Thanks for the lovely comments. I was really happy with how he turned out. Given he was just a basic project puppet pattern and not anything too customized.

I'd love any advice for how to do a nappy for him, given the entrance is the bottom like a normal puppet, I'm still unsure how to do the nappy for him, but I think he definitely needs a well padded nappy to keep the baby look clear.

Greg

Rymoore21

Reaction score
you can use 1/2" foam to make a diaper. Cover it with white fleece and leave the bottom open. You can carve detailed wrinkles into the foam then use spray adhesive to make the fleece "stick" to the carved areas.

downunderbatman

Reaction score
Hi Rymoore21, that's such a simple idea, I'm almost embarrassed I didn't think of it myself. Thank you so much that's a real help and I appreciate it.

In terms of the eyes, I found a site online that sells character eyes of all shapes and sizes. They were expensive once I added in shipping but they are fantastically easy to use. I'll try to find the link to post it. I have a whole heaps of different sized eyes, these seemed to work best for baby. They are hard plastic with a stork on the back, so you just pierce the skin and foam underskull stick it through and add the attaching ring on the back. You can glue them down but I like to leave them unglued so I can alter the angles occasionally to get different expressions. Also, my son loves to spin the eyes around.

Greg

downunderbatman

Reaction score
found it http://teddybearsupplies.flyingcart.com/index.php?p=products&req=dept&id=156

They have heaps of different types of eyes and other interesting bits and pieces. A real treasure of a website. They originally sold on Ebay, but seem to only offer from their online store now. Really lovely to deal with a quick with delivery once they have the items in stock (they also don't seem to charge you until they have the item in stock).

Greg

FrackleFan2012

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Been busy working on a new puppet for a friend who is writing a skit. I'm making three puppets to begin with, the baby, a nanny (elderly babysitter) and a bear. I had made the bear but wasn't happy with it, it was too large and not cute enough, going to start again with that one.

Anyway, here is baby. He's basically the punto pattern from project puppet, with a lower jaw foam skull piece added to give the bottom more body. Eyes came from an online shop that sells blank character eyes, the nose was a black comic nose from the same place attached to the face then flesh colored antron glued over the top. The character is antron fleece, the hair is some antique bear hair I had floating around.

Hope you guys like him, still working out how to do his clothing, something I've not really tackled too much as most of my characters have been characters that didn't require clothing (elmo, kermit etc) or existing baby clothes worked fine for. I want to give it a nappy to wear but need to leave a nice hole for the hand access. If anyone has any patterns for something similar that I could modify to fit I'd be grateful.

Greg

Cute job! :smile: