April Fools Feedback

When should a thread be labeled as an April Fools joke?

• Total voters

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I think this deserves a thread of its own, so we can get some other opinions on the issue.

April Fools Day threads have been a tradition here at MC since the beginning just about, some of them are rather clever and sometimes it's almost really easy to fall for them for those who have forgotten or didn't realize what day it is.

However, for the past few years or so, there's been a new tradition at MC to immediately label a thread as an April Fools joke the minute someone actually admits that they fell for it... personally, I think to label a thread like that so soon pretty much defeats the purpose of the thread, especially considering not everybody at MC is logged on at the same time: say they log on later in the afternoon, and already, threads are labeled as being April Fools threads... where's the fun in that? They'll already know it's a joke, and therefore, they won't even be able to enjoy it (and whoever started the thread probably won't be able to enjoy tricking as many people), but if they come upon the thread, start reading the original post, is intrigued by it, then they start reading the responses and THEN realize that it's a joke, doesn't that seem to make a little more sense?

I've stated my own personal opinion before that I think a thread shouldn't be labeled as being an April Fools joke at least till the end of the day, giving as many people as possible the chance to have a little fun over the different little gags some people like to pull year after year... but again, I think we need some other opinions on the matter, which is why I've included a poll on the subject.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Yeah, last year I was really confused about all the April Fools threads.

I actually didn't realize that the titles were being changed as soon as someone figured it out, I was thinking they were being changed as soon as a mod realized they were April Fools jokes to prevent people from taking it seriously.

But either way, it did ruin it. I understand you want to separate the joke threads after the fact, but I thought they were being changed a little too soon.

Slackbot

Reaction score
I agree. When a person posts a joke, it's meant for the whole board, or at least the segment that chooses to read the thread. Unless it's a mean-spirited joke, I think it's simple killjoy-ing to spoiler it for everyone except the first person to call it out.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
The thing about April Fools jokes is that they have to be done well. They have to be believable and yet have a bit of hum to them. I have seen some jokes done on here that where great and then others that I knew from the thread title that it could not be true.

You also have to take into consideration the fact that someone may come on the site for the very first time and see the "joke" and believe it word for word or be turned off by the fact it was a joke and never come on to the forums again. So again you have to be careful.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here are my thoughts...

1. I'm ok with the thread title not being changed to "April Fools" until April 2. But one of the things we've done in the past is move these kinds of threads to the "Fun and Games" forum. This accomplishes several things, these threads still appear in the "new posts" lists which is how most view the forums and because many don't immediately look to see what forum they're in, people still fall for the joke (at least initially).

2. Due to the sensitive nature of some jokes, we have to reserve the right to edit or in rare cases delete a joke all together if it doesn't fit into the nature of our forum. This really goes without saying for 99% of you guys, you know what's expected, but it needs to be said regardless.

Beauregard

Reaction score
I totally agree with Phil (our avid leader!) If someone posts something disturbing, or worrying (especially something about any specific Muppeteer) then it should be deleted or changed immediately, but if its something harmless and fun (Like, "Miss Piggy Will Not Be Appearing in Muppet Wizard of Oz! {Mine from a few year back} then it should be left for the sake of the joke until the end of the day.)

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Before I state any opinions on the subject, I must address a few things first...

However, for the past few years or so, there's been a new tradition at MC to immediately label a thread as an April Fools joke the minute someone actually admits that they fell for it... personally, I think to label a thread like that so soon pretty much defeats the purpose of the thread, especially considering not everybody at MC is logged on at the same time: say they log on later in the afternoon, and already, threads are labeled as being April Fools threads... where's the fun in that?
I thought that the mods had been doing that as soon as they knew it, as opposed to when somebody admitted to being fooled. In the time that they've done it, I hadn't seen any posts from people who said they were fooled (in most cases I can remember the first reply is basically "it doesn't work if the thread says April Fools").

1. I'm ok with the thread title not being changed to "April Fools" until April 2. But one of the things we've done in the past is move these kinds of threads to the "Fun and Games" forum. This accomplishes several things, these threads still appear in the "new posts" lists which is how most view the forums and because many don't immediately look to see what forum they're in, people still fall for the joke (at least initially).
I haven't looked in the fun and games folder in years, but I thought it was locked so that only moderators could start the threads, and that other users had to suggest games first in a certain thread. I don't think it'd be too wise because people would see us pitching an april fools thread. Also, I never see this "new posts" list you speak of. I always start at the main forum page and then search to see the new posts within their folders.

And now with what I have to say....

I am kinda mixed. I'd much rather fool people with the threads, and if the titles must be changed I'd prefer they change on April 2 or later. But at the same time, I see it as somebody can see the thread, see the "April Fools" note in the title, and happily anticipate seeing what the joke is (back when the titles weren't changed right away or on other forums when I see threads that are obviously jokes, I enjoy seeing how the joke goes).

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I haven't looked in the fun and games folder in years, but I thought it was locked so that only moderators could start the threads, and that other users had to suggest games first in a certain thread. Also, I never see this "new posts" list you speak of. I always start at the main forum page and then search to see the new posts within their folders.
I think he means that people start the threads somewhere else and when a mod notices them, the mod moves the thread to the fun and games section
And now with what I have to say....

As for the new threads list, at the top of the forum there's a link that says "What's New?" That's the list.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The problem with April Fool's jokes is thus...

They're not as convincing as they used to be, and some of them are basically forcing some pet project/desire as a "get the hint?" message. Which leads us to the inevitable and predictable improbable cross overs, impossible to believe products and projects, and of course something just incredibly silly that couldn't be taken seriously in any context. Sure, there might be the one button pushing announcement that someone could actually fall for if they completely and absentmindedly forget what day it is. Other than that, the jokes are too over the top to be taken seriously anyway.
What should be done is moving the threads or deleting them the day after. I see too many pulled up saying "I know this was a joke, but I really think the idea has merit." Sure, we fans like to have fantasy projects come to realization, and on rare occasion, they do. Didn't someone make a joke about Sesame Street comics once, and they're actually happening. Though some of them don't even need a label, since they're so obviously a gag.

Hubert

Reaction score
(Thanks for this thread, Snowth)

I'm somewhat torn on my opinion...in one way it is nice to not ruin the joke and to keep it up, yet at the same time some people, especially newbies and/or more sensitive users, might see the joke and never find out that this information is untrue. Also, some could be hurt by the fact that they fell for this joke, and as Dwayne said, never return to the forum or even hold some sort of grudge against the user.

Though in some sense, most of the jokes pulled here really don't hurt anything...and most, such as new productions or news about upcoming productions, will eventually sort themselves out. Using Beau's mentioning of his Piggy in MWoO joke, anyone who saw that and never found out it was a joke eventually figured out the truth once they saw the movie, or even heard about it later in news. They could cause some confusion at the time with some, but the majority of users who fall for it will eventually see that it was a joke in one way or another.

I guess I think it would be nice if we could leave them up without a renaming until the day is over. If any, only a very small percent of users would permanently fall for the joke. As long as the joke isn't causing any problems or touching on a sensitive subject, most people will get that it is a joke at some point and not have false info or hurt feelings.