Center for Puppetry Arts taking down Henson exhibits this summer

Slackbot

Reaction score
In the 2013-2014 program brochure from the Center for Puppetry Arts they listed both the Henson exhibits ("Wonders from his Workshop" and "Jim Henson: Puppeteer") as being available through August and September. Other exhibits are listed as being in those spaces afterward.

I called the CPA and asked if they planned to exhibit any of those puppets elsewhere in the museum, and they said that no, that was not planned at this time. I told her that I'd miss 'em, that those were the reason I had a membership, so I could "visit" with them occasionally. She said, yeah, but puppets have to "rest," with the wear and tear of the light on 'em. (Um...yeah.)

I know that puppetry is not all Muppets, but Henson's work popularized puppets, made them part of the cultural consciousness or whatever you call it. And, on a more practical level, the Muppets are a huge draw. Lots of people go to the museum so they can see Big Bird, Kermit, Red Fraggle, Ernie, Rowlf, and all the other Muppets & Henson puppets over there. They come for the Muppets and stay (hopefully) for the other puppets. I can see the CPA's revenue from individual and family memberships and museum admissions taking a hit because of this.

Sigh. At least the Skeksis, Link Hogthrob, and Julius Strangepork will still be in the permanent exhibit (I assume), but that's hardly the same.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
What? No! They can't be doing this!
I've never been there, but I've seen some pictures and things, and it looks fantastic.
Jim Henson and the Muppets have been such a big part of Puppeteer history. I don't know how they can remove this. :frown:

Any news on where the puppets are going? :concern:

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Actually, anything can deteriorate with age and being kept in the wrong kind of environment. Light COULD do damage, though I doubt indoor lighting would do anything, though if they were kept in the sun then yes, they would be damaged. So could improperly sealed exhibits letting in humidity and stuff. Although if a museum didn't know how to properly display something I'd be very concerned :/

Still...that makes zero sense for a puppetry museum to be removing their Henson exhibits. Hehe...I'd love to see their business take a dive because of it, as mean as that sounds :scary:

Slackbot

Reaction score
The puppets in qustion are kept indoors, no windows, in sealed cases. The Skeksis is kept in a dimly-lit room, which made it very hard to draw; perhaps that's to keep it from deteriorating. I understand that the Dark Crystal puppets are prone to crumble; I've heard they have an UrRu in storage that is in very poor shape.

FrackleFan2012

Reaction score
Oh my gosh! :eek:
I can't believe the Henson exhibits are going to be taken down soon. I thought they would be permanent displays.
When's the next Henson exhibit going to happen after this one goes down? :cry:

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
Right, but it moves every so often. First it was in Florida, then it went to Chicago, and New York. I hope we see it in more places in the future. :concern:

FrackleFan2012

Reaction score
Right, but it moves every so often. First it was in Florida, then it went to Chicago, and New York. I hope we see it in more places in the future. :concern:
I hope to see more Muppet exhibits in the future, too, maybe with a Frackle added.

NextJim1225

Reaction score
You know, there are working on a Jim Henson wing. They'll be dedicating it mostly to not only well known shows and projects, but to some great lesser known things as well. Honestly I think it's worth the wait (but if they do start to lose business, they'd better get into the construction process)!