Dying Fleece Issues!

ashkent

Reaction score
I've recently had similar issues with the Antron fleece i have been dying. I have been using both RIT and Dylon dyes. For a couple of projects the lack of colour was fine as it gave a nice toned down skin effect for the arms of my Hairy Dude puppet, so it wasn't as dark as the fur fabric...however, trying to get something darker and more vivid was a different story. The last batch i dyed actually dyed my hands more than the fabric - even wearing gloves. After an hour I rinsed it and it looked more or less white again.
I'm going to try the boiling method to see if that works better.

Another fleece fabric which you can see on my Boober replica is Tilda Fleece. It is just slightly cheaper than Antron, but i found it have the same seam hiding capability and seemed to dye without any bother. Just another alternative.

Slackbot

Reaction score
Huh. I got a batch of Antron fleece from Georgia Stage earlier this year, and I've had no problem at all dyeing it. My Skeeter came out a lovely vibrant orange, and I have a few feet of gray for an upcoming project. It makes me wonder, are some sellers claiming to sell Antron fleece when it's actually another brand?

As far as hiding seams goes, yeah, mine don't "disappear." If I pick the seam--which I have to do several times, with the light hitting the seam from several directions--then I get a kind of mohawk that I have to brush and trim down. I've been experimenting with the earlier-mentioned toothbrush method. The one I'm working on is all fur except for the eyelids, but I'll see how toothbrushing works out on the next puppet.

ashkent

Reaction score
Just as a quick update on my earlier post, I've used the stove method this afternoon and the results were perfect. I dyed three different pieces of Antron with RIT Sunshine Yellow and now have a dark orange piece - after just four minutes in the dye - and two lighter shades one of which was dipped in the dye three times for around five seconds each time.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Glad to hear it worked! If you have trouble again (or any one else does) something to keep in mind is that although you can use regular fabrics dyes like RIT and Tintex with Antron Fleece, Acetate-Nylon dye from Aljo generally works better and gives more vibrant colour. I still work with the old fleece and I have tried both and although Aljo is more expensive, it is definitely worth it.

I haven't tried Aljo's dyes with the new Antron, but I strongly suspect that it might solve some of the problems that people have reported in this thread.

Has anyone used Aljo with the new fleece?

NextJim1225

Reaction score
Another fleece fabric which you can see on my Boober replica is Tilda Fleece. It is just slightly cheaper than Antron, but i found it have the same seam hiding capability and seemed to dye without any bother. Just another alternative.

Just wondering, where would I be able to find Tilda Fleece? I'd like to try it out.

Slackbot

Reaction score
Acetate-Nylon dye from Aljo generally works better and gives more vibrant colour. I still work with the old fleece and I have tried both and although Aljo is more expensive, it is definitely worth it.
I saw your post, and the acetate part caught my eye. I've been beating my head against the wall when it comes to dyeing fake fur, which is acetate. have you tried Aljo with fur? And can you give me any advice on how doable this dyeing process is when your workspace is a small kitchen?

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Pepsico purchased the company and stopped all production for a brief period- the original Antron was made from carpet fiber- this new stuff is still made from carpet fiber but (my theory) is that they use a cheaper more stain resistant fiber. I think the original also came in 12 and 14oz.
TheCreatureWork may have more direct knowledge of the situation than I do, but years ago when the fleece was changed I was told that the issue was that the original fibre isn't produced any more. The Mills or Mill that produce the fleece would love to make the old stuff, but because there isn't sufficient market for it, whomever supplies them doesn't make it. I don't think it's so much an issue of cutting costs, as much as it is that the original fibre is no longer available anywhere.

ashkent

Reaction score

Just wondering, where would I be able to find Tilda Fleece? I'd like to try it out.
I found it on eBay. I'm guessing that you can buy it elsewhere but that was where i came across it.