What sketches scared you as a kid?

10Cakes

Reaction score
Actually, I did find it kind of spooky in the "Bones Inside of You" song when the skeleton shook and laughed

Nyperold

Reaction score
Wow, it's been a while for me, too.

I just did a Google site search (because the built-in search software, like on other forums I know, likes to omit words for being too "common" despite the fact that they would, y'know, help), and saw this sketch mentioned in other threads, but not here, and if I think about it, it may actually have scared me a bit.

It was the one with the Count and this rocket scientist who was ostensibly there to launch a rocket, but each time, it'd blow smoke, then sputter and stop. And then the Count lets on that it was all just an excuse for him to count backwards. It may have been the scientist's screaming as he ran around. It probably should have sounded frustrated due to him being there for nothing -- he could've counted backwards on his own if he wanted, no pretext needed -- but he sounded terrified as the Count counted backwards... "in Transylwanish!"

Also, another aspect of it: I think I realized that if it were to come anywhere close to lifting off, that thing would really put out a lot of smoke, more than it did, and that it wouldn't be a good idea to stand that close to the base of a rocket that size.

TheWeirdoGirl

Reaction score
Strangely enough, I can't remember any Sesame Street sketches that scared me when I was little. I'm sure there were some that did, knowing the way I was back then, but I don't remember them. I do, however, remember that the Sesame Street movie Follow That Bird frightened me quite a bit. I don't remember exactly why, in fact, the only thing I really remember about that movie is Oscar in front the Amerian flag. But I just went and watched the trailer a few minutes ago, and I can guess that my fear of it came from some of the fairly intense things that happened to Big Bird.

This isn't exactly a sketch, but I figure I might as well mention it since it is Sesame Street related. Now I don't have a clue why, but when I was little I was afraid of toys that talked and moved. When I was a toddler someone gave me a Tickle Me Big Bird. I was afraid of that thing whenever it was saying anything for years. I still played with it though because he didn't scare me as long as he was turned off and couldn't do anything. But after a few years I overcame my fear. I wonder what happened to that toy...

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
This isn't exactly a sketch, but I figure I might as well mention it since it is Sesame Street related. Now I don't have a clue why, but when I was little I was afraid of toys that talked and moved. When I was a toddler someone gave me a Tickle Me Big Bird. I was afraid of that thing whenever it was saying anything for years. I still played with it though because he didn't scare me as long as he was turned off and couldn't do anything. But after a few years I overcame my fear. I wonder what happened to that toy...
Yeah I had the same problem with a talking Snoopy doll, lol. It was one of those Teddy Ruxpin type things where you put the cassette tape in the back and the doll told you a story. And it always freaked me, lol.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I have it worse... I had This with a broken voice box. It not only terrified me as a kid, but I was afraid of talking toys for the LONGEST time since. And I used to love them.

Ironically, considering Herald's example, Teddy Ruxpin was quite the opposite for me. I LOVED that thing. I guess I knew because it was just a tape player or something... but I just absolutely adored that little guy.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Ironically, considering Herald's example, Teddy Ruxpin was quite the opposite for me. I LOVED that thing. I guess I knew because it was just a tape player or something... but I just absolutely adored that little guy.
Yeah I feel really bad about it now because I think if I could have gotten over my initial reaction Snoopy and I could have had a lot of fun, lol. Though in any case it would have been short lived; shortly after getting the toy my friend pushed it down the slide, it never played again. :cry:

I did have a Big Bird talking toy with the wind up cord. But for some reason I can't remember what he said. In fact I remember owning it but I don't remember ever knowing what he said, lol.

Sunrise

Reaction score
I've been away from the forum for about two years and this thread has become too long for me to sit and read through (which in itself speaks to the long lasting impact of what we saw on SS in our formative years - that it's the "freaked me out" thread that's been so enduring), so I don't know if anyone has mentioned this one and if so I apologize:

Trippy animation in which three kids run through a bunch of trees to some frenetic-sounding, heavily percussive music. They finally hide behind a tree, and the view pans over to show a GIANT *bleep*ING RABBIT apparently chasing them. It runs past their tree, and the kids all reappear and run back the other way.

In fact, I don't remember this at all from my childhood; it was a sketch from the Old School volume one set (now rendered obsolete by the itune downloads :super:) and when I saw it as an adult I thought WHAT THE *BLEEP* and practically hid behind the couch again. Just like the old days.

For real. What were they thinking? What on earth was the educational or entertainment value in that? "Learn how to run fast and hide quick, kids, or you might get eaten by a giant mutant rabbit."

Drtooth

Reaction score
Trippy animation in which three kids run through a bunch of trees to some frenetic-sounding, heavily percussive music. They finally hide behind a tree, and the view pans over to show a GIANT *bleep*ING RABBIT apparently chasing them. It runs past their tree, and the kids all reappear and run back the other way.

In fact, I don't remember this at all from my childhood; it was a sketch from the Old School volume one set (now rendered obsolete by the itune downloads :super:) and when I saw it as an adult I thought WHAT THE *BLEEP* and practically hid behind the couch again. Just like the old days.

For real. What were they thinking? What on earth was the educational or entertainment value in that? "Learn how to run fast and hide quick, kids, or you might get eaten by a giant mutant rabbit."
Yeah... this thing...

There was no call for that to be on the show ever, and I can't believe they hid an entire episode because The Wicked Witch of the West was considered too frightening, but this was deemed perfectly fine. There is nothing fun or educational about that sketch. It's just jarring, and disturbing, even as an adult.

crackmaster

Reaction score
The scariest Sesame Street skit/sketch in the whole entire universe (for me) is when Oscar ate some rotten cookies and turned into a Handsome Prince. Oh, it was THAT scary! :concern::eek: When I heard and saw the skit starting up, I'd be like "Oh No!". And then I would run out of the room, with the channel changed to Channel 14 (the sports channel? For me, now, it is.) and hide in the family room (watching Channel 14, too. It was tuned to that by my brother and dad alot.). When it was done, my mom would call "Okay! It's all over now. The prince is over." OMG! IT WAS SCARY! WHOEVER CAME UP WITH THIS SHOULD BE KILLED! (not jim this was done in the '90s either early mid or late also it could be early 2000's).

Update:
I found out that this sketch was made in 2003. I remember seeing this alot from 2003-2007 (or 2008? oh yea it was 2008) I want to see this again to get over my fear. An image and a picture. Post now!