PETA at Westminster

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
To be a true supporter of PETA you have to ..Snippy snippy
Well said sir you beat me to it

as much as i admire PETA'S cause they go way to far, things ive read. im not saying everyone who is a member of PETA goes to far but the main core group sure does.

ive even read about them boycotting Pokemon cause it promotes animal fighting and cruelty

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
True, and remember that we can always support our local animal rescue organizations. :super:
Exactly and the majority of animal rescue organizations have some dignity for their cause (and I actually have contributed to them!). :wink:

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
i really wish peta would get their priorities straight. i would have so much more respect for them. instead of protesting dog shows where those animals are probably treated better than most people, go after people who are actually abusing animals. go after puppy mills and the pet shops that get their animals from them.

i remember when they made a stink over euthanising that horse who broke both its front ankles. they wanted that horse alive, but that wouod have even more abuse to the horse. a horse has little hope of recovery if both ankles break and there would be no way of telling if the horse would ever be able to walk again. that seems a lot more abusive to me. and really? going after video games? its not like they are digitizing animals and putting their molecules into athe game.

ps. please excuse capitals, im typing on a cell phone

Drtooth

Reaction score
I agree completely. There are so many terrible things people do to animals, punching and kicking them... setting them on fire... and going after works of fiction... I hate that. I truly do. Like most "organized" groups, it's easiest to pick tiny, winnable or effortless battles. Why try to create legislation for gun safety when you can whine about how one was used on a Batman cartoon? Why go after how our food is sold to us when you can pressure cartoons to NEVER reference that people do in fact eat stuff besides vegetables... It's all about bending everything to their will without any effort or going against anyone who MATTERS.

I do not like the tactics of saying that eating a hamburger is exactly the same as the willful genocide under Adolph Hitler (they did that once, remember?) Sure, I don't like how we have a factory food culture either, but that's something that's gonna take years to deal with if we even get any change coming.

It reminds me of a Mad magazine article, and there was some caption about how an impoverished village gave up meat, which was the only food available during the rainy months, under pressure from the group with a picture of a well fed woman hugging a large cow while a pile of rail thin villagers were keeling over.

beatnikchick300

Reaction score
As some of you might know, I'm a vegan, and a supporter of the animal liberation movement. I also believe humans were not meant to eat meat (if we were, why don't we eat it raw, like all other meat-eating animals do) and that animals have been enslaved by humans, essentially (you can read more about my views in my blog; there's a link to it on my profile). But with that said, I hate PETA. I think that they are a hindrance to the movement, and that their actions aren't getting anyone to really think about why we do what we do to nonhuman animals; they're just making people see the movement as ridiculous.

Muppet Newsgirl

Reaction score
True - you don't change the world by having one person do one big thing. Instead it's a million people doing little things - and those little things add up.

We only hear about the people who do bad things - but for every person doing bad, there's a million more doing good things.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
We only hear about the people who do bad things - but for every person doing bad, there's a million more doing good things.
I remember hearing that when the news channels tried doing a "Happy News" segment....ratings went down, lol.

I'm not a Psychology major, but I imagine watching bad or stupid people makes us feel better about ourselves. Whereas watching altruistic people makes us feel insecure that we aren't up to the task. I think a lot of ills in our society can be traced back to insecurities.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Drtooth said:
I'm surprised a group that goes around slaughtering animals for no good reason didn't come up as an antithesis of PETA.
From some of the talk on the 'net, I get the impression you call that group "Texans", LOL. :big_grin:

And milk? Don't cows get huge cramps if they aren't milked routinely?
Humans have the same issues.

From breastmilk.com: Feeding on demand will not only increase your milk production, but also help to keep your breasts from becoming engorged and ducts from getting plugged.

In other words, it causes more than just discomfort. It's a painful obstruction of the ducts.

On the other hand, PETA would just gripe that we shouldn't be breeding cows for dairy anyway, as many are bred to produce more than they would have normally.

Frogpuppeteer said:
ive even read about them boycotting Pokemon cause it promotes animal fighting and cruelty
LOL, I remember reading that on Pokemon forums. Morons.

Drtooth said:
I do not like the tactics of saying that eating a hamburger is exactly the same as the willful genocide under Adolph Hitler (they did that once, remember?)
I think it was chicken (KFC in particular), but same difference.

beatnikchick300 said:
I also believe humans were not meant to eat meat (if we were, why don't we eat it raw, like all other meat-eating animals do)
We did. And then we co-opted fire to (coincidentally) make it healthier to do so. We have pointy teeth (some of them, anyway) and no gizzards or multiple stomachs. We are not herbivores. Diet is strictly a choice (aside from medical necessity).

I think that they are a hindrance to the movement, and that their actions aren't getting anyone to really think about why we do what we do to nonhuman animals; they're just making people see the movement as ridiculous.
The movement isn't ridiculous. From the time man first thrust a stick into the hide of an animal, prayers were said to the spirits for appreciation and supplication. Meat-eating is a violent part of our history, but so is caring for the life that was taken so we could live. Ancients who didn't respect the animal life were punished by their society and/or their gods. Just as it isn't fair to judge animal rights groups by PETA's standards, it's also unfair to judge the meat crowd, making them all blood-thirsty supervillains. Not that you've done so, but I've seen it happen.

heralde said:
I'm not a Psychology major, but I imagine watching bad or stupid people makes us feel better about ourselves.
I have a degree in it. It's sometimes schadenfreude (I can't help singing the song after watching Ave Q, LOL), but from what I've read, the biggest part of it is that humans are attracted to disaster because it alerts us that something dangerous is in the area. It doesn't matter if it's real or not. It's why people slow at wrecks, watch horror, etc. People who ignored the BIG PAW PRINTS tended to get eaten by the lion. :smile:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Just as it isn't fair to judge animal rights groups by PETA's standards, it's also unfair to judge the meat crowd, making them all blood-thirsty supervillains.
Very true. To paraphrase Mokey, "It can be hard to understand the ways of others. But it's very easy to think that you do." Even hunters today make it their business to make sure the population of the species they hunt remains stable. They don't deal in extinction. Even an animal rights person I've known admitted that.

We did. And then we co-opted fire to (coincidentally) make it healthier to do so. We have pointy teeth (some of them, anyway) and no gizzards or multiple stomachs. We are not herbivores. Diet is strictly a choice (aside from medical necessity).
Right, that's what I was trying to get at before. Human beings are animals too. We just have evolved mental ability compared to other animals. If other animals eventually go down the same path (i.e. Planet of the Apes ; ) ), they'd probably be the same as humans are now.

but from what I've read, the biggest part of it is that humans are attracted to disaster because it alerts us that something dangerous is in the area. It doesn't matter if it's real or not.
As someone wtih OCD, I can very much identify with your theory, hehe. You get an exaggerated sense of dread and overcompensate for a possible threat.

lotusoftheleaf

Reaction score
I have a few PETA related questions for any who would know.

What are PETA's thoughts on human cannibalism? I've read that they find no problem with it, and some say they support it.

Does PETA have any gripes about non-humans eating other non-humans, like that group of hippies in Futurama that made a lion eat tofu?

And I guess this is more of a thought than a question, but if PETA is against anything that uses any thing at all from animals, wouldn't that mean they find Muppets evil since some were made using ostrich feathers?