Performing with a character in front of the puppeter

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
I think most of us the forum have seen this puppetry done somewhere be it Avenue Q or when the Muppet performers do public appearances, what is the opinion around here on puppetry in which the puppeteer is holding out his character in front of him while he is completely visible?

For me, it all depends on the puppeteer's skill. A good puppeteer like the examples I gave above have shown such great puppetry that you forget that the puppeteers are there.

Also, just out of curiosity, what should one wear when doing that sort of puppetry? Do you prefer just doing the puppetry in whatever clothes you come in wearing or go with say, all black like a ninja?

staceyrebecca

Reaction score
Black like ninja is traditionally what puppeteers wear and I'm all for keeping up tradition (especially when tradition makes you look thinner).

Its less distracting & allows you to see the puppet more. Granted, if the puppeteer is going to talk that's something else entirely.

When we do puppet-improv, we wear whatever. our focus is on the puppet, which will draw the audience's eyes to the puppet as well. (hopefully.) Its difficult to do improvised puppetry (for me) while being behind a stage where my view of the other puppeteer & set might be obstructed.

Sometimes it really bugs me though. (even though I do it)

Jinx

Reaction score
For the right style of performance I think a visible puppeteer is fine. But some styles will still be best served by hidden performers.

I think the clothing all depends on the venue. For a more "formal" event I'll do the basic black. But for more casual settings I just want to look appropriate for whatever setting I'm in. If the puppetry skills are proficient enough no one will want to look at the puppeteer. If your puppet is compelling to watch, even when not speaking, then you really have nothing to worry about.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Well, don't forget, most of the performers on Avenue Q were from Sesame Street, so they had to perform using monitors.

CoOKiE

Reaction score
As they mentioned up above. All black seems to be the best way to go.

Colors are eye grabbing. And you definitly want the audience paying attention to your puppet and not yourself.

UNLESS you're part of the act. In that case you'll want to wear color. If you REALLY want to stand out... wear red.

My opinion... i'd rather not see the puppeteer. I think it makes the character come alive if you can cut out any illusion that no one is under them.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I don't normally post here, but that is an interesting question! About wearing black, is it possible that would actually attract attention because it's not typical dress? I could be totally wrong, lol, just curious to hear opinions. :smile:

Skekayuk

Reaction score
Hmm interesting.
I must say I agree if the puppeteer is good at their job, then having them visable is just fine and in some ways enhances the performance, allowing one to appreciate just how good they are at their job, such that one doesn't really notice them. Likewise if they are good at it then one isn't going to notice too much what they wear. (I recall once seeing Louise Gold do a cabaret performance, that included some puppetry, in a purple evening dress, http://www.qsulis.demon.co.uk/Websi..._Gold_By_Appointment_Short_Version_Review.htm ).

I have also seen Nigel Plaskitt, puppeteer live, and I have no recollection of what he was wearing, although I don't think he was all in black, but it's a testomoney to how good his puppetry is that one just wouldn't be bothered (http://www.qsulis.demon.co.uk/Website_Louise_Gold/James_Church_Presents_Cabaret_Night_Review.htm )

But sometimes when watching relatively inexperienced performers, including some of the Avenue Q people (other than the original B'way of course), seeing the puppeteers can be a little distracting (http://www.qsulis.demon.co.uk/Reviews/Avenue_Q_Review_2.htm ), but it is the tradition of that musical that one sees them. I think in that situation it is right that they should be dressed in traditional black.

One highly unusual late night benefit I saw last Autumn, from 'The Company Of Mary Poppins' also involved a puppet giving an introduction, they started off with the puppeteer more or less hidden from view (well we could see the puppeteer's knees pocking out from behind a board), but soon had the puppeteer visable, and I don't think it mattered, mainly because the puppeteer (actually one of the members of their company) was rather good at at. And yes the puppeteer was dressed in black, but one felt that could've been as much about wearing something smart and comfortable as about tradition, who knows. (http://www.qsulis.demon.co.uk/Website_Louise_Gold/The_Company_Of_Mary_Poppins_Review.htm ).

I also think, if you have visable puppeteers, it can help if the puppeteers try and focus their own eyes in an appropriate position where it won't provide distraction. (ie either they should look at their puppet, or down at the floor, but not straight at the audience).
Just a thought.

Kevin the Frog

Reaction score
I think if the character of the puppet is solid, it doesn't matter if the puppeteer is visible or even what he or she is wearing. I like the comment from Kevin Clash saying that when he performs Elmo in front of kids (while he's visible) it's like he's not even there. They don't even look at him, all eyes are on Elmo. There's a magic to that which is very cool.

Twitch92

Reaction score
I occasionally perform with my puppets at children's parties. I walk around mingling with the kids and they rarely look at me while a puppet is in front of them. I can't compete with a colorful, fuzzy puppet at my side

jcnegron

Reaction score
I personally prefer being in black, or grey.

Here is an example that you could consider extreme. Here is the cast of avenue Q Mexico, the way the director chose to do it over there, with all the actors dressed in bold colors.

Pictures of Avenida Q

It is very distracting. Your are not only seeing the actors, but actors wearing colors brighter than their puppets and competing for your attention. In addition, a good share of short skirts, cleavages, and tight shirts, complement the picture.

Not that cleavages and tight shirts remained unappreciated. Actually a good portion of the audience considered that a good component of the show.

It is sad however, as I have read in many forums, that much of the success of a production like Avenue Q, in England for example, at least to attract certain age ranges in the audience, relies on the physical appeal of the puppeteers rather than their skills.