Weinstein rolls with Fraggle Rock movie

wwfpooh

Reaction score
and putting out something to appeal to screaming 6 year olds who don;'t care about this stuff
The problem? Said screaming 6 year olds happen to be the market demographic for a lot of shows, even those produced by Henson, sadly. :cry: For in fact, a lot of us were kids when FR initially aired and so, it may be a sad twist of fate if the film were geared towards the new generation who seemingly doesn't give two flips about the old stuff, because thanks to society, the new generation agrees with the "old = bad" stigma. :frown:

Redsonga

Reaction score
The problem? Said screaming 6 year olds happen to be the market demographic for a lot of shows, even those produced by Henson, sadly. :cry: For in fact, a lot of us were kids when FR initially aired and so, it may be a sad twist of fate if the film were geared towards the new generation who seemingly doesn't give two flips about the old stuff, because thanks to society, the new generation agrees with the "old = bad" stigma. :frown:
Or they not all agree with it, but the media does not think little ones have minds of their own :coy:

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Or they not all agree with it, but the media does not think little ones have minds of their own :coy:
And so, the magic is lost, which goes back to what Majory said in that we Silly Creature humans may be too silly (and greedy) to think about our own ties to the universal bond each organism in this world shares. :cry:

Drtooth

Reaction score

By screaming 5 and 6 year olds, I of course referred to the Underdog and Gadget movies. they don't care, as they've never seen them before. Why make a movie based on a nostalgic product if the 2 target groups won't be interrested? The Nostalgia angle can't be played for fans of the show if you change the concept, and the younger audience who the film was writen for won't know or even care about what an Underdog or Inspector Gadget are.

For this film, we've seen the press release say that they want a movie for fans, while implying they want to get child audiences. Now, a lot of the fans of the show, with kids that is, bought the box sets (or at least the singles) for both of them to watch as parent and child. Clearly they want a family film where the parent can share something, not just see something they're either too young or too old to care about get ruined for the kids who won't be interrested.

But then again, other than a bare thread of plot and a writer, we know nothing of the film so far. We could think negative, but there really isn't much to think negative about. Much like the 2 guys writing the Muppet project script. We have a bare plot where anything could happen.

And unless they reinact a classic book, or play second or third to a celebrity star, there's nothing to worry about just yet.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
And unless they reinact a classic book, or play second or third to a celebrity star, there's nothing to worry about just yet.
I sure hope you're right. I would just want this film done right.

Redsonga

Reaction score
Clearly they want a family film where the parent can share something, not just see something they're either too young or too old to care about get ruined for the kids who won't be interrested.
But the thing is many people do care and aren't too young or too old for it, even if they were to just redo a plot from the tv series and give it more depth. The messages of FR have no age group IMHO. It might have started with only the idea of being 'just for kids' but to me, it never stayed that way.

It is not the fact that we, it's target generation got older I think, or that we are just hungary for anything from the 80's right now , but rather that the messages of it ring true for every part of life, not just childhood IMHO...

Many newer movies have seemed to forgotten any deeper ageless meaning just to put in more flash and whatever song is cool that summer..True, those movies make money, sometimes millions of dollars, but how quickly they are forgotten the next year speaks volumes I think...
Even if FR is a blockbuster, I hope it will not be the empty kind :\...

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
There's way too much concern over modernizing films and not enough concern about the film itself. Just write a decent script, make a decent film, and people will go to see it. It's amazing how that's not being understood these day.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
There's way too much concern over modernizing films and not enough concern about the film itself. Just write a decent script, make a decent film, and people will go to see it. It's amazing how that's not being understood these day.
Sadly, such an idea is practically dead nowadays. Having said that, I'd gladly be sitting up with the dead (and incidentally, I did have an Uncle Fred, too) until quality returns to entertainment.

unclematt

Reaction score
I dont have an Uncle Fred. Just thought I would let you know