Official Henson Podcast

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
Henson, I love your podcast but I hate your website

I love the podcast Grant, keep up the great work! The episodes just keep getting better and better. The interview with Bobby Vegan was great and I really enjoyed the coverage of the Dark Crystal Manga coverage. The audio from the recent panel discussions (Comic Con and Henson's Fantastic World) was fantastic too. The Q&A segment at the end of each episode is also a great addition (somewhat reminiscent of the old Ask Henson.com feature from long ago). Keep up the great work Grant!

I listen to a lot of podcasts; the quality of the Henson.com podcast is great but have a bone to pick with Henson's website -- despite the quality of the podcasts themselves, the presentation and accessibility of them stinks (thanks to the new Henson.com that was launched in September). I have several issues with the current online presentation of the podcast now (issues I didn’t have with the old site).

1) They really should provide a link so you can download the podcast directly. Most podcasts do this. Henson use to do this. But currently the only way to get the podcast is via iTunes (or if you’re at a computer you can theoretically stream it in an embedded player on that page). A direct link to the MP3 on the site would be nice. I have nothing against iTunes, but I’d rather get the episode without having to go through another other program. Why can’t I just download the file directly?

2) Each episode has its own episode page with some brief introductory text and then the embedded audio player where you can listen to the episode. But because of the site's structure you can't directly link to a specific episode – which is annoying. For example, if I want to share the Tinseltown episode with someone I can’t just send them a link to the episodes, I have to give them a link to http://www.henson.com/podcast.php and then tell them to find the link to show #17 and then open that page. I wish I could just send them a link directly to the specific episode page, but because of the way the site is designed this is impossible and annoying. As a blogger who would like to share and reference specific episodes, I find this is a bit of a roadblock and an nuisance.

3) Lastly, the little embedded audio player, to put it nicely, sucks. Ever since they updated Henson.com the on-site podcast has been presented in a little fancy embedded media player. I have no problem with is concept – I like the concept – many podcasts employ a similar concept for listening. However the player work less than 50% of the time for me - most of the time the player just never shows up. I have a pretty decent internet connection, I have the latest version of flash installed and have tried bringing the podcast up in the latest version of Internet Explorer, FireFox and Netscape - but the player just never loads and I’m left with blank white box where the player should be. I've tried on several different computers (even had friends try too) and get the same results – no streaming podcast. The only way I've gotten real regular success is on a Mac via Safari. I don’t know what’s up. I do however know that other fans have expressed problems with the player as well – it’s an annoying roadblock and has prevented many people from actually hearing the podcast. Plus in the rare instance I get the player to load it usually has to buffer and it lags and freezes and it becomes even more annoying. Again, a direct link to an mp3 would help give an alternative to people who can’t load the player and don’t want to (or simply can’t) go through iTunes.

Basically I wish I could just download the MP3 file direct from Henson.com (and not have to go through iTunes to get a portable file). I wish I could link directly to a specific episode (not just the main podcast page). And I wish the on-site player was more reliable and functional.

That’s all. I’m done ranting now. Once again, keep up the great work on producing a quality audio experience. I can’t wait to hear the next episode (even if accessing it is a little inconvenient).

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
I worked out how to get MP3's of the Henson Podcast without subscribing - just surf directly to - http://www.henson.com/podcast/rss.xml
Oh cool! That's tricky, man. Thanks! I would have never thought of that. It still it would be nice if there was a simple link on the main episode page (along with the player and the episode description) like there was on the old site. But this backdoor way is at least a way to get the file simply. I guess I've just been spoiled by other podcasts that give you everything right there.

ToasterBoy

Reaction score
Hey, I REALLY appreciate the feedback on the podcast. Can you PLEASE (PLEASE) send me that great post to podcast@henson.com ? That way I can slyly forward it on to some folks? I just can't take it from here and bring it to the powers that be. :smile:

I really do appreciate the feedback and I take GREAT pride in the podcasts, and really want to make the podcast into something the fans (me being one as well) love.

Again, THANK YOU!

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
Hey, I REALLY appreciate the feedback on the podcast. Can you PLEASE (PLEASE) send me that great post to podcast@henson.com ? That way I can slyly forward it on to some folks
Consider it done :wink:

Once again, I really think the podcast is great - and only getting better and better. Can't wait to hear the next installment.

Luke

Reaction score
I just really wish they would have done podcasts (video podcasts even) when they had the Muppets, all those long missed background Muppets that could have made appearances. *sigh*

Anyhooo keep up the fantastic work!

Brooklyn

Reaction score
I, too, have began listening to the podcast. Can I make suggestions? oh good --

1.) Can you continue to dig more into the archives with Karen Falk. Maybe some audio from old interviews that have been tucked away...

2.) length...too short, each are about 15 minutes, can they be longer?

3.) Can we be told who you will interview and dedicate part of the interview to questions from the fans? Also, can you interview more of the "old school" group behind the Muppets?

4.) Video podcast?...maybe, sometimes?

ToasterBoy

Reaction score
email your suggestions to podcast @ henson . com I'll pass them on.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
The recent one, which mentions recent Henson releases that could be bought as christmas presents, is great. It even acknowledges the release of The Muppet Show: Season Two. It is sad that Sesame Street: Old School Volume 2 wasn't announced as a potential holiday gift.

ToasterBoy

Reaction score
Hey! I'm about 95% certain I'll be doing a phone interview with Dave Goelz about EMMET OTTER tomorrow for the podcast. If you have any questions, e-mail them into podcast @ henson .com NOW!

ONLY EMMET OTTER QUESTIONS! No Muppet or Fraggle questions! Only email submissions via - podcast @ henson . com - will be looked at, no posts here! Also accepting submissions through Henson.com

Interview's at 9AM Pacific tomorrow so get the questions in!