Your Thoughts: The Street We Live On

What did you think of "The Street We Live On" special?

• I thought it was good

Votes: 38 42.2%
  • I was very disappointed

Votes: 52 57.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ssetta

Reaction score
Actually, the episode that airs tomorrow should be the one where Gabi is supposed to help Alan.

Dantecat

Reaction score
Ssetta,Why are just going to air that episode instead of The Street We Live On???

ssetta

Reaction score
Well, it was originally intended to be a special, and not a regular episode. I think that's probably why.

MuppetDude

Reaction score
But it's already aired a couple of times during SS's regular time slot. Without it, the series would skip an episode (4057).

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Technically, it's both a special and a regular episode due to the costs/time involved to produce it.

DTF

Reaction score
It was a good episode...

You know, people have said of numerous Star Trek episodes, various TV show series finales, etc., that it was a good episode, but for what it was supposed to be it was lame.

Not having known this was supposed to be the 35th anniversary special, I thought this was pretty cool when I first saw it, lots of neat old clips - I remember the baker so well! And the C is for Cookie, one of my favorite songs when little.

I thought doing it to Elmo's World was pretty odd, but it *could have* been a lot better. Here's how:

If you want Elmo at the center, put him and Grover in a taxi like at the end, and send them back in a "Back to the Future" type spoof (I've noticed they do some good spoofs in what I've watched the last year or so).

In order to leap toward the present, Grover and Elmo must chug forward a bit at a time - first leap to 1978, see Mr. Hooper, see the 'droids, interact & make funny comments.

Do the "Number of the DAy" - with Dorothy if need be in the cab with them - as it was, but have them stuck in the year in which that would be done. SAme with letter of the day - have them stuck in 1980-whatever in Egypt hearing the seeing of "C is for Cookie."

As they went forward, you could have even had JTE w/Big Bird looking for Ernie through time, in his own time travelling machine.

Int his way, they relive more, and yet keep it Elmo's World. "I can just see it now _ "Guess what Elmo's thinking about today? Da-da-da-da - Time Travel. And here's Elmo's friend Grover with Dr. Egret Brown (flash to Egret muppet in brown sportcoat.)

But, sometimes people don't dare to think creatively, and this thing they must have just put together a bunch of best-of segments or something.

DTF

Reaction score
Emerald said:
I agree. When I first read Sesame Street Unpaved, I truly realized just how many high-quality skits I had not seen in a very long time. Forgetful Jones. The blue guy at the restaurant. The king of eight. Pinball. Teeny Little Super Guy. Those were the days.
Wow, they don't show the restaurant thinies anymore? That's a shame. Yes, it is different, and Elmo might wear on me a bit too, but I stil think he's kind of neat. But, maybe what you're calling "wearing on you" is what I referring to as being to young, too juvenile for me, where in another thread I mention how it just seems like I would think Elmo's World was too slow for me.

I speculated there that my intelelct was higher than most kids of that age, but maybe, as I consider it, Elmo's World is also a little slow for those who aren't reading at age 3 like I did.

DTF

Reaction score
Sesame Street: Back to the Future - the 35th Anniversary done right

Opening shows Grover in his professor’s cap at school:
Grover: All right, children. Today, we have a special treat. Dr. Egret Brown (an egret in a brown coat) is going to teach you all about time!

Egret: Children, this is a clock. It is now ten o’clock. If I move the minute hand around like this (hand moves around clock) it will go around one hour. That will be eleven o’clock.

Elmo: Professor, Elmo has a question.

Grover: Yes, Elmo, what is it?

Elmo: Well, Elmo wonders why time can’t go backwards.

Grover: Backwards, you say? Why, that is a very good question. Professor Egret, why can’t time go backwards?

Egret: Why not?

Grover: That is what I just asked you, is it not?

Telly: Uh, well, if I may, not to take anything away from such a smart man as yourself, but if time could go backwards, we would never know if we were early or late, would we?

Egret: Let me answer all of your questions with a siple solution. Time canot go backwards; but we can.

Telly: We can? How?

Elmo: Yeah, Elmo wants to know.

Egret: Well, let me tell you…

(Elmo’s World opening, Elmo is thinking about Sesame Street)

Grover (rushing in) You are just in time, Elmo.

Elmo: Oh, it’s Elmo’s friend Grover. Time for what, Grover?

Grover: Why, Elmo, do you not remember what the professor taught us? Is is time to go BACK (dramatic hand gesture) to the future. (Thinks) Wait a minute - I suppose we would really be going forward to the past.

Elmo: Oh. Well, Elmo was just thinking about Sesame Street.

Grover: What a coincidence. Because that is what the professor was thinking about, too!

Elmo: He was?

Grover: Yes. And, if you will come with me, I can show you his invention.

(Grover, Elmo, and numerous other Muppets on the street, he is in his taxicap)

Grover: The professor and I have worked long and hard on this machine, and now it is ready. ( To Elmo: Now, what may I show you?

Elmo: Well, Elmo would like to see what the street was like before he was born.

Grover: Then that is where I shall take you. All right, everyone, stand back, while I set the dials and press some buttons. Fasten your seatbelts, for we are about to raise our horsepower to the power of ten.

Elmo: Why ten?

Child: I now, I know! I’ll be that’s the number of the day!

Grover: What a bright young lady. Here we go…

(Camera shifts to the classic 10 segment shown on the real special -that was a keeper!)

(Grover and Elmo are in the taxi as Gordon and a young girl are walking as we see in the start of the final montage of clips)

Gordon: You’ll love Sesame Street; everything happens here.

Elmo: Who was that?

Grover: That, my friend, is Gordon. Now…oh oh.

Elmo: Is something wrong, Grover?

Grover: Yes, the capacitor seems to be stuck. Apparently one of the Professor’s assistants did not properly install it.

Elmo: What was that?

Groever: Some fellow named Gilligan.

Elmo: So if this Gilligan messed up the Professor’s stuff, how do we get home?

Groever: That is a good question. Hmmm, I suppose we shall have to go ask Oscar.

Elmo: Oscar was here. Oh, boy. (Camera shifts to show Elmo and Grover in a scene with an orange Oscar) Hey, that’s not Oscar. He’s orange, and Oscar is green.

Grover: Oscar was orange when he first came to Sesame Street. (Insert explanation of why he changed)

Elmo: Wow, Elmo is learning lots of cool stuff!

Grover: Yes, now let us go ask Oscar to borrow several things. A chewing gum wrapper, a piece off an old tire, and a broken nail.

Elmo: That will fix the time machine?

Grover: No, actually, it will only get us forward a few years. We are going to have to keep borrowing things to fuel the engine until we reach the present. But, do not fear, we shall have fun along the way, learning all about Sesame Street’s history…

-------------------------------------

And then, of course, you'd have them in different scenes along the way, viewing classic Sesame Street footage, skits, and moments. And of course, they finally get home.

Just thought I'd expand on what I said earlier; this would have been a real treat, and also would have kept the young ones who do want Elmo happy.

astrotrain

Reaction score
35th Aniv. Show... 50/50

It was great to see the 'limited' Vintage Sesame Street clips. But I was
disapointed in their length.

I was saddened by the short segment of "Mr. Hooper". They did not
show enough of him and how important (IMHO) role was in Sesame Street.

I was tickeled to death to see the "Song of 10" and the Typewritter Guy.

It was good to see the cook fall down the steps with the pies.

I did wish they had the Painter Guy who painted the numbers on
objects.

Well I wish CTW would actaully produce a DVD series of the Vintage
Sesame Street DVD set(s). I would surely purchase them.

Dantecat

Reaction score
Why Was The Count's Cape Purple Instead Of Green Inside Elmo's World :confused: