Your Thoughts: HBO Max streaming service officially launches

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I'm something% sure that's reason. I don't recall where I might have heard/read that, though.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Back in the pre-Old School DVDs/pre-online video days, I think there were people who thought they'd stopped airing the segments with Bert's nose being removed in the 1990s (Bert's bust is the only one I ever remember seeing as a child), thinking it was due to imitable behavior. And I recall seeing a comment on the forum when a season 33 or so episode aired Things That I Remember, somebody being surprised that they left in the clip from the Bert's bust segment. Good thing Bert's bust and two noses have both been released on DVD.

I had seen that "I Want to Hold Your Ear" was cut from an episode, I thought maybe somebody thought the man was coming on to the woman a little too much. If the dismemberment thing is correct, I wonder if this means not to expect any more releases of segments where the adults put features on Anything Muppets anytime soon (well, most of those wouldn't be a huge loss). Though in most of those, they put features on them but don't take the features off (and the woman in "I Want to Hold Your Ear" has hers put on before they are taken back off).

I wonder if this would affect Kermit News: Rapunzel, which is actually the most-released Sesame Street News segment on home video. Though that one may be different because nobody pulls Rapunzel's hair off (I always thought she voluntarily dropped down her hair... now I'm wondering if it's that or if her hair fell off by accident) and also because losing hair is more normal than losing a nose.

I hope this doesn't affect any of the segments where Grover gives Kermit a body part. Though in those, he only gives Kermit the parts, they are never shown coming off (and in the earmuffs one, we see a strap for the ears, like a pair of earmuffs).

Hmm, could they have talked about this at last years "lost and found" event? I didn't hear much about what info was revealed in the thread (and I know they said not to make too detailed notes), but every once in a while I hear about something that was shown or revealed at the event on Muppet Wiki or a discussion forum or maybe a podcast.

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
I think people are being a little too analytical, I doubt they’re going to bury the segments. Besides kids cannot pull off their friends’ noses.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
We live in times where once upon a time people were stupid enough to try the fire challenge and eating tide pods, so.....

minor muppetz

Reaction score
While various inserts might have had portions cut due to censorship (if not outright withheld from being included in future episodes of the show), could the HBO Max reruns be among the first time segments were cut from episodes due to censorship and other issues (I know PBS reruns that feature Chris Brown's "See the Signs" cut that segment after it was dropped, not sure whether anything else was, I do wonder if "Alphabet Polka" was cut when the episode with it was later rebroadcast, or if "I Want a Monster to be My Friend" was cut from reruns the season it was taken off).

There have been so many segments cut from video releases or broadcast that we can easily figure out - often, it's for time (in the case of Noggin or pledge drive edits), or because they had trouble clearing with the right people (particularly with celebrity appearances, song covers, animated/film segments, things with kids), and there have been edits that seem hard to determine (like many HBO reruns - as well as YouTube uploads and I think some DVD releases since HBO started airing the show - cutting out a lot of Spanish segments, including many Spanish Word of the Day segments), and there have been PBS reruns that replaced a lot of segments for no known reason (since this seems to have started with season 30, I'm guessing they made more segments than they could fit, with the addition of Elmo's World and shortening of episodes that season). And maybe there have been other things cut due to censorship without us realizing it.

I am thankful that the Old School DVDs don't seem to have cut segments due to censorship (that I know of). Makes me wonder if such censorship will occur if there's ever another DVD or digital release of full classic episodes (I guess I won't be surprised if they cut something with Bill Cosby or John-John).

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Bill Cosby and John John will no longer appear on DVD releases, there’s no doubt about that.