Your Thoughts: HBO Max streaming service officially launches

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
The issue is when certain segments just seem to get cut for absolutely no reason whatsoever..... for instance, the Dialing for Prizes edit in 666 on Old School Volume 2 actually felt very random and kind of forced. Like what exactly caused it to be removed there? The only thing I could think of is the black and white footage possibly being unlicensed copyrighted footage, but that would seem ridiculous since it was only about 8–10 seconds at that, and if I’m being honest, it looks like just some random public domain footage pulled out of a hat.
From what I the footage was public domain, however I don’t know who said this but the celebrity pictures on the wall could’ve been a possibility a reason why it got cut.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
“It’s okay, honey! The segment with Ernie taking off Bert’s nose won’t hurt you!”

:rolleyes:

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
From what I the footage was public domain, however I don’t know who said this but the celebrity pictures on the wall could’ve been a possibility a reason why it got cut.
It was @PumpkinJ on his upload of the segment on YouTube. I don’t think that would be possible if they’re just pictures, ones that are so far away you could hardly make them out.

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
It was @PumpkinJ on his upload of the segment on YouTube. I don’t think that would be possible if they’re just pictures, ones that are so far away you could hardly make them out.
No, it was right when old school volume two came out. I doubt PumpkinJ was even on the Internet by then.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Fair enough then, it was the only place I’ve seen someone bring it up so 🤷🏿‍♂️ But I’ll take your word for it.

Still, if they’re just pictures, again ones that are far away and not easy to make out, that seems kind of ridiculous if that were the case but hey 🤷🏿‍♂️ Show biz and celeb life I guess.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Even if use of copyrighted footage or music is just a few segments, the copyright holders can still charge a lot for it (I’ve heard that they usually charge the same amount no matter how much is used, but I’ve also heard otherwise).

Some have speculated that segments get cut to make way for the closing credits being added (but why does that matter for a streaming service?), though there are plenty of episodes that are otherwise uncut. The one that edits not only Bill Cosby and John John but also other stuff for unknown reasons (some have been in video multiple times) could be that, though they already cut two segments for obvious reasons. But maybe those were too short to make room for the credits crawl.

YellowYahooey

Reaction score
I agree on the issue with detaching body parts. I hated the sketch. It would be a bad influence for today's youth, and could cause kids to attempt it in real life and eventually get in trouble with the law. Kudos to HBO Max for editing out such segments. Ironically, the "Bert's Bust" sketch was uploaded by the official "Sesame Street" channel on YouTube seven years ago, and it is still there.

Same reason applies with the "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" song sketch. I hated it.

Ironically, I had no problem with "The Mysterious Nose Snatcher" sketch, which was quite short for a Bert and Ernie sketch, and it's not like we saw anybody remove a nose in action. Plus it was the only segment in which Ernie's nose was detached.

Off-topic, but on the topic of editing out, I did realize that segments involving Scanimate were likely edited out of Noggin broadcasts of older "Sesame Street" - with the exception of the Scanimate kids intro leading into a live-action insert, street scene or film segment. It's quite interesting that among the latest round of adding new episodes, I did discover two episodes with Scanimate segments: the one involving adding houses, and the Scanimate/live-action hybrid H segment - the latter of which was kept intact on the Old School DVD release of a season premiere (Season 9, perhaps?). Maybe this is an indicator that the Scanimate Films segments for the numbers four and ten will appear on future episode additions.

Aside from the remaining snow arc episodes from the 1970s, there is also an episode from Season 18 added as well - one that had only a very small number of segments on YouTube for a while, including "Water, Wind and Sun".

Last edited: