Why people dislike modern Sesame Street

Drtooth

Reaction score
I agree with you that I think it seems too busy, but not in the same way. I think it seems busy in that there's no underlying connection anymore so things just seem to come and go. The older Sesame street always seemed to have a main story point with the smaller clips showing up in the middle. This way, everything stayed connected but things changed enough to hold your attention. Now, it seems that even if there is an over all theme, they'll do something and then immediately move on to something else and never go back. It seems to give it kind of a disjointed feel in my opinion.
They tried going back to that a few seasons back, and something must not have tested well, and kids were upset Elmo wasn't on at the end... I forget the inane logic and weird studies... but suffice to say, they WANT to change things back, but they dug themselves into a corner. Now the block format actually increased the ratings, and they're going to stick with that until they start losing viewers again.

Something tells me Elmo's World is only at the end of the show because they HAVE to have it at the end of the show, and they're too scared to try another episode without one, EVEN though they should have tried that with Elmo heavy episodes, not ones focusing on Baby bear or Prairie Dawn, like they used.

beaker

Reaction score
Modern Sesame=less Elmo, more Murray, INSANELY cool guest stars, SMART writing that pokes fun at topical stuff(the disasterous spiderman broadway play, fox news, big bird trying to be bought out, etc)

Modern Sesame ROCKS.

LamangoNumber2

Reaction score
My little cousin thinks they need to add fart jokes to Sesame Street...
I sobbed abit inside.

My main problem is, well, they have SOOOO many underused characters that could be around more often nowadays. Herry? He can at least say HI to someone else for once, jeez. Sure, Jerry's getting old, but hey, he has Matt Vogel now, who took over for most his other muppet characters.

Heck, maybe if they didn't have so many goofy plots, and just well, had a show like they did back in the day. Or at least big crowd scenes with puppets. I know the Muppeteers are all scattered, Steve, Matt, David, and Eric being shipped back and fourth now with the Muppets coming back, leaving Kevin, Carol, Fran, and a few others, but it'd be nice to see, like, heck, Pino, Dave's blue monster come back.

a_Mickey_Muppet

Reaction score
I dislike modern Sesame Street cause its turned into an Elmo (aka the Red menace!!! i call him that IF i see him on TV or a toy or book in a store!) mania show! I LOVE Kevin as a muppet performer, i JUST CAN'T stand Elmo! if i do happen to catch it every so often and Elmo (or Abby too somewhat) pop up, I change the channel! :grouchy:

a_Mickey_Muppet

Reaction score
They tried going back to that a few seasons back, and something must not have tested well, and kids were upset Elmo wasn't on at the end... I forget the inane logic and weird studies... but suffice to say, they WANT to change things back, but they dug themselves into a corner. Now the block format actually increased the ratings, and they're going to stick with that until they start losing viewers again.

Something tells me Elmo's World is only at the end of the show because they HAVE to have it at the end of the show, and they're too scared to try another episode without one, EVEN though they should have tried that with Elmo heavy episodes, not ones focusing on Baby bear or Prairie Dawn, like they used.
EW (Elmo's World) NEEDS to be put out of its misery!!!

a_Mickey_Muppet

Reaction score
I MUST add tho, I'm GLAD there "pushing" more Cookie Monster stuff! (toys ect.)

:insatiable:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Modern Sesame=less Elmo, more Murray, INSANELY cool guest stars, SMART writing that pokes fun at topical stuff(the disasterous spiderman broadway play, fox news, big bird trying to be bought out, etc)

Modern Sesame ROCKS.

The writers are trying to do the best with what they have. They're still stuck with a format that kids really like, but adults not so much. The writing of certain bits has really gotten stronger, but guessing game type episodes just don't work for me. Once a season if they have to... we had several last year. There was no greater disappointment than the Bert Bird watching episode... only to find Elmo taking over the episode, and Bert scramming so they can find a certain bird only to hear "birds make different calls" three times.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
I'm bumping this thread as I think it's become relevant once again with the recent changes.

Well, season 46 was really the first season where I actually preferred the inserts more than I did the street scenes. To me, the street stories have gotten too short and seem to end abruptly, a problem that started with season 45. Plus, the street scenes seem to have lost plot, they're all almost completely curriculum based instead of having an actual story. Another thing is, probably because the episodes no longer have plots, the humor in them i basically gone, with Grover really being one of the only funny parts of the show. Essentially, they've dumbed down the writing of the entire show, which is more or less one reason that Joey Mazzarino left. Clearly with the reduced parodies and less freedom with the plots of the street story, he must not have felt as free as a writer.

And speaking of Grover, the new main six thing. I mean sure i'm happy Oscar, Big Bird, Grover and Cookie Monster are finally appearing in more street stories, but now they've reduced the appearances of characters like Telly, The Count, Zoe, Ernie and Bert. I mean seriously, what was the point of recasting those characters if your not even gonna use them!

Also, Elmo and Abby, who have already taken up most of the show for the past nine years, are now on it even more than they were before! Sometimes it gets super annoying.

Also, some issues I have with the new 30 minute format:

Because they've reduced the run time, some episodes don't even have letter of the day or number segments, so they don't do the sponsors at the end of the episodes anymore. This is sad because it was such an iconic staple of the show.

Another thing is, like it's been said before, they still feel the need to air an Elmo segment at the end of each episode. Now, I have nothing against the little red guy, but he's already in every single street story, does he still need his own segment? Why not use that time to air some other Muppet segments, like, I dunno, maybe a new Ernie and Bert segment once in a while. And speaking of Elmo, it's good that they have all new six minute "Elmo the Musical" segments to fit the shorter run time. But as you may know, the segment was originally eleven minutes long, meaning that whenever they show a segment that was originally 11 minutes, they have to edit out five minutes of them, making them a trippy, confusing, poorly edited mess.

Those are just my thoughts. What do you guys think?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Really, my only main problem with this season has been the songs - I'm not sure if a song in every single episode is necessarily a good thing, because most of the songs feel like sausage factory songwork anyway: most of the tunes aren't even catchy, and a lot of the lyrics feel like they were written in one sitting and crammed into melodies.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Yeah, the songs this season do seem like they were rushed. Although their are a few songs that I do really like, I like Big Bird's "Walking With a Dinosaur Song", that one was pretty catchy. I also really loved the "Boo boo Busters" song, Mucko Polo's song and "Everyday Heroes", which have all become some of my favorite songs from the entire show.