What sketches scared you as a kid?

mikebennidict

Reaction score
Ryan said:
Actually, there is one SS skit that scared me that I forgot:
"Mr. Tweak". It was a cartoon where a man was on the second floor of a 3 story apartment, and whenever he tried to sleep, the people either above or below him would sneeze or snore. The music was really eerie, and the sketch was just really out there.

"Mr. Tweak tried to sleep, but the man below him would sneeze"
BANG BANG BANG (Mr. Tweak bangs cane on floor)
Mr. Tweak :"If you please, DON'T SNEEZE!!"
you know i inturpeted it as Mr. Tweak but i wonder if it was really Mr. Tweep? after all that rhymes with sleep.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
mikealan said:
Well, I got that extremely rare Ernie & Bert H television sketch on #2282 from Gbrobeck in early 2004. It starts when Bert wanted to watch his favorite show The Wonderful World Of Pigeons, but the TV showed nothing but the letter H, and the voice says, "H...H...H...H...,etc." Then Ernie came along to fix the television and the problem of their TV is that there are so many stuff that began with H inside the TV like a hat, a horn, a hamburger, a house, and a live hamster! Bert then turned back on the TV and the TV now shows just the letter "I" as the voice says "I...I...I...I....,etc." and Bert feels like enjoying the TV that showed just the letter I! The only sketch that used to scare me in my youth on that episode was the animated sketch Splasho the Diver-Before & After.

On that animated sketch, Splasho was getting ready to jump into the huge cup of water, but the cup didn't have water. He told the man who works for the show to fill up the cup of water before Splasho dives in, but the man says, "I was going to put water in that cup after you dive in!" But Splasho really wants the man to pour the water in the cup before he dives in, so the man decides to pour the water into the huge cup and Splasho finally dives into it.

The sponsors of that episode were H, P, & 12 where Dr. Price had his new wake-up machine with the clock and the feather and The Count bought candles for the Fix-It-Shop to make Maria shocked.
i could never understand why Bert hated the H and liked the I.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
you know with all of this talk about skit scaring some of us, and while not everyone would of been scared at the same thing, there must of been a good deal of kids who were scared of the stuff that have been posted. some more than others because as whoever is was said many of the SS skits are tones down compared to the past. while i can understand making mistakes not thinking certain skits not having a bad effect on kids because there were so much and the fact there have been changes over the years i wonder how they could of made so many that are now considered to aggressive scarly etc. even then i think there were some who might of critisized SS for that.

Nicole

Reaction score
I was scared of these.

These sketches scared me when I was a child:

1. M-Mask. The announcer would say "A mask." and they would show some African and Indian masks. The way those looked creeped me out!

2. Danger's No Stranger. The dark video with construction machines running around in the background. At the end the screen looked like a dark sidewalk and computerized rain drops would fly diagonally across the screen. For some reason, the end segment scared me.

3. Newsflash. Kermit the Frog was interviewing Old MacDonald and this very creepy-looking spaceship would land in the barnyard.

Reaction score
There was a lot that scared me or creeped me out when I was little.

For example:

The Sherlock Hemlock song "X Marks the Spot" really scared me because of the skull & crossbones for the lyrics "Sometimes it means there's pirates, or at worst it means there's poison..."

Similarly, one of the Roosevelt Franklin Elementary School segments, in which Roosevelt whispered out the letters "P-O-I-S-O-N", and they appeared in the air, followed by a skull & crossbones, scared the **** out of me.

I think this could have been due to a run-in I had with a bottle of highly poisonous Russian perfume when I was a toddler. Being rushed to the hospital and dosed with ipecac which makes you hurl violently, then being dosed with vile black charcoal solution to try to make you stop hurling violently (and which didn't work, because I hurled the stuff up three times on the way home in the car)---well, it would tend to make you extremely nervous around anything to do with poison, wouldn't it? The worst of it was that I hadn't drunk any of the perfume, only spilled it on myself. But Mom and Dad knew how deadly Russian perfume was, so they insisted on rushing me to the hospital immediately. I was also extremely frightened of the animated "Mr. Yuk" PSAs that ran on the Buffalo network stations in the 70s, so I think my theory on this is a good one.

S.A.M. the robot creeped me out because of his strange mechanical noises.

And I, too, was uneasy about the sinister nature of the Lefty segments---especially "The Golden AN".

Seeing the "Willy Wimple" anti-polution segment recently, I still felt somewhat unsettled by it. There was a similar segment that aired on "The Electric Company", for "T-I-O-N", which showed, among other things, fish and birds dropping dead in their severely polluted water and air, and promised that "Pollution means their execution." Very disturbing stuff for little kids to see! What makes it worse is that, since those segments first aired in the 70s, very little has changed. Companies would rather keep right on polluting the world and destroying the ozone layer, because it would eat into their profits if they tried to do anything really worthwhile to fix up the damage. And the politicians won't force them to, because those companies contribute lots of money to the politicians' campaigns. Very sad.

I remember finding Mumford's lack of eyes a bit unsettling. He had big, bushy, black eyebrows, but you never got to see his eyes, did you?

And Mr. Mackintosh, the fruit & vegetable vendor, always looked a bit menacing to me. Maybe it was because he was so quiet. I think I usually just saw him silently pushing his cart through the establishing shot of a street scene, and that was it. I suppose it was because Chet O'Brien was busy with his "real" job of being a techie on the show.

I wasn't frightened by the animated typewriter getting stuck in the umbrella, but I was very frightened when he discovered his ribbon was dry, so he poured in a bottle of ink, which leaked out and flooded the entire screen, turning it black.

There was another animated segment along the same lines, in which a bird dipped its long beak into a big bottle of ink and wrote the word "INK" in the air. Then, it fell into the bottle, clambered out and shook the ink off its feathers, spattering droplets all over the screen. Then, it tipped over the bottle, and the ink poured out, flooding the entire screen and turning it black.

This may have been a clever way for the animators to fade to black, but when you're a little kid with a very literal mind and an overactive imagination, watching it will lead to nightmares! Bad enough to drown in clear water, but imagine drowning in a flood of black liquid you can't even see through!

Klonoa

Reaction score
After watching the 35th anniversary special, I just remembered an old skit that was kinda creepy. It was the News Flash where Kermit was interviewing Humpty Dumpty. That Humpty puppet was kind of disturbing. He had those big lips and a weird voice. And he still talked after being broken. It wasn't THAT scary, just a little weird to me.

--Klonoa

Sunrise

Reaction score
I remember this!

Herald7 said:
Then there was this really strange, incomprehensible cartoon with this human with a huge beak type mouth trying to push an elephant through a door. This little girl walked by. The guy said in a wierd voice "can you help me?" and the girl said "no".
Then the elephant got pushed in somehow and the guy sort of got deflated and flew in. I have no idea what that was about and no idea why it bugged me!

The annoying thing is that no one I know has ever rememberd these sketches!!! :smile:

WRONG! I remember the elephant! But I thought the person pushing him was a bear, for some reason. He starts out saying, "Can you help me push?" and the little girl says, "Noooo", so he pushes some more, then says just, "Can you help me?" and at that point she reaches out and somehow does something that makes him deflate and fly through the door.
At least that's somehow what I remember. It was the weird way the guy talked that made it memorable...all slow, like someone who didn't speak English was reading it phonetically.

Xerus

Reaction score
There were some SS cartoons that really scared me when I was little. I always ended up running out of the room whenever these started.

The Lion chasing the Leopard. I used to have nightmares that this lion would jump out of the TV and eat me.

The Yakity, Yakity, Yak where this yak would get mad and charge at the TV breaking it. I had nightmares about him too.

The V cartoon where a bat zooms into the screen and changes into a vampire. And the whispering music was scary too.

Wanda the Witch who made that scary cackle in the end.

An Agua cartoon where a scary fire monster appears and makes threats in Spanish. But is then destroyed by rain.

A cartoon where it shows funky green and white wallpaper where a black cat tries to catch a little bird until he runs into a lion who growls and scares the cat away. Then I soon learned the lion was only trying to help the bird.

Mainly, I was usually scared of any SS skits with lions in it.