The Muppets Episode 13 - Got Silk?

What did you think of "The Muppets" episode "Got Silk"?

• Absolutely positively! This episode was great!

• Bork bork! This episode was good.

• Mee mee. This episode was so-so.

• You're all weirdos! This episode was disappointing.

Results are only viewable after voting.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Some where on the internet there is an interview with Kristen Newman. She talks about her vision for the show, and this one felt like it was one that was before the reboot. To much talking, not enough jokes. At any rate I hope next weeks show will do better.

ConstantineFan

Reaction score
I don't think this show will get axed. Agents of Shield, Agent Carter, and Galavant had the same low ratings as The Muppets, but because of fan support ABC still renewed them for another season. The Muppets will probably be the same way, where ABC gives it another season, because of fan support.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Overal, this episode was a bit of a downer for me, and I just don't like this reboot. Couldn't ABC wait 10 episodes for a show to get on the right track, can an audience wait for a show to evolve, no they walk out by episode 3, and the show is getting better, but no one is watching it.
There's potential, and I liked the first episode of the reboot (still didn't see the second, should be available today). I like the idea of the brand manager trying to have the show fail, and I like that they addressed the problems with the show head on. The Piggy storyline seems like something that they had all along and shoved the Piggy show and brand integration episodes in there to conform it to the new flow of the series. I really think as far as story goes, they should have pushed the Pizza seduces the writers plot line further. Seems like there was real potential in having the writers slowly revolt at Kermit, causing the show to be sabotaged. Something sort of like the plot of MMW, only Kermit's there the whole time and feels the betrayal. I do like how Kermit was able to flip everything against Pizza. I just wish they did more of that and split the two plotlines up into separate episodes.

Still, if this is one misfire among the better episodes, it's a misfire. Like the episode with Scooter and Chelsea Handler. It came in the middle of a strong run of episodes. Comparatively better than the start of the series, but not as strong as the episodes it was in the middle of. And we have to admit, sometimes shows are like that. One weak episode every so often.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Two thoughts Gonzo just looked off for most of the show.and the show seemed shorter then normal.
Yeah. I've noticed that too. Heck, they didn't even use the opening. They just updated that a few weeks ago and now they seem to be getting rid of the whole thing.

Plus they didn't even touch on the Gonzo/Camilla plot. She came back last week and now they seem to have forgotten about it. Maybe it's a production error issue.

Oh, well. At least nobody sang about curse words this week. GRRRR!

Over all I really liked it. I am a bit sad that most of the Kermit/Denise break up is happening off screen.
Yeah. That would have been nice if we had seen more of that. I thought it was nice that Denise stepped aside so there would be more of a chance for Kermit and Miss Piggy to get back together, but having Denise still be around would be interesting as well. It would sort of create a love triangle that would spice up the plot.

But there is a sweet payoff to the Piggy/Deadly story line.
Yeah. That was nice too. Though it would have been nicer if it had been Piggy and Kermit, but with Piggy/Deadly it seemed to work. I'm just hoping they don't hook up as a couple though. That would just be wrong. Lol.

But it was nice to see Piggy's soft side. I know we've had issues about her fladerization in recent years, so this episode sort of addresses these issues. Now it seems like she does think of the other Muppets as her friends contrary to what she's said in the past and she's realizing on her own that she can be hard to like at times. Overall, this was a good Miss Piggy episode.

Last edited:

LouisTheOtter

Reaction score
I debated for about a minute over whether to vote "good" or "so-so" for this one, because I definitely didn't find it the funniest or best-written episode of the series (not by a long shot).

I finally went with "good" because I found a lot to like here, particularly the addition of some depth and heart to one of the series' key character dynamics: Miss Piggy and Uncle Deadly. I was not ready for Deadly's willingness to drop the trademark sarcasm and self-preservation and lay it on the line about how much his own relationship with Piggy means to him. That climactic revelation, topped by Piggy encouraging the rest of the Muppets to attend Deadly's Clueless stage show, tied up the main storyline with a nice little bow. (And I'm a sucker for that Ingrid Michaelson song to begin with, so it was nice to see that as the musical number.)

The puppetry in the aerial-silk segment was marvelous. Mrs. Otter and I were ooh-ing and ahh-ing about that one for quite awhile. Not just the flying-and-falling-Piggy parts, but also Piggy's gloved hand shushing the dental hygienist. That entire scene represented some of the best uses of puppetry in the whole show (which is saying a lot because there has been some AMAZING puppetry in this series).

I found Pizza/Pache's scenes to be better-written this time around and I liked Kermit asserting himself against him early in the show and then outwitting him to allow the RuPaul/Muppet fashion show to proceed. If Pizza/Pache winds up being nothing but an infrequent comic foil for the Muppets at this stage of the series, I'm fine with that.

Also, I was curious about Kermit's phone call to Denise and then the rather heartbreaking scene with her box of his stuff on his desk while Kermit's voiceover suggested that at least Rizzo was having better luck in the romance department. Not a bad way for the writers to draw that storyline out without giving it too much prominence.

Still, with all of that, I felt like this episode was missing some energy and commitment from the writers and producers. Not the Muppet performers; they did the best with what they were given (and I credit RuPaul for gamely carrying on with his material; I actually laughed at the "Christmas underwear" joke). I just felt like we could have gotten more out of the concept of Gonzo, Rizzo and Pepe being taken suit-shopping (Pepe's end-credits bit was close), or a Muppet fashion show, or even Fozzie and Lew Zealand testing a sketch on Bobo. (And I just can't get used to the concept of Fozzie being nearly invisible in the February episodes after playing such a prominent role in the fall. Missing Scooter and Rowlf, too.)

And while I only got to see about 10 minutes of "A Tail of Two Piggies" (we live in Atlantic Canada so our ABC affiliate showed the New Hampshire primary and we aren't permitted access to the streaming services because we don't live in the U.S.), I feel like the writers could have tried some continuity from that episode, particularly with the Gonzo-Camilla plotline.

Don't get me wrong, "Got Silk?" was close - agonizingly close - to being a great episode in my books. I just hope the next three episodes kick things up a notch to close out the season on a high note. (And no, I haven't given up hope for a renewal.)

Footnote: After hours and hours of deliberation that kept me up well into the night, I have finally decided that I don't mind the opening theme being reduced to the title card. I missed that jazzy Hammond organ but if that means more fresh Muppet content, no problem.

JimAndFrank

Reaction score
Hey did anyone else notice Kermit nervously clicking his pen with his thumb during his voice message to Denise? Crikey, that was subtle!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Still, with all of that, I felt like this episode was missing some energy and commitment from the writers and producers. Not the Muppet performers; they did the best with what they were given (and I credit RuPaul for gamely carrying on with his material; I actually laughed at the "Christmas underwear" joke). I just felt like we could have gotten more out of the concept of Gonzo, Rizzo and Pepe being taken suit-shopping (Pepe's end-credits bit was close), or a Muppet fashion show, or even Fozzie and Lew Zealand testing a sketch on Bobo.
I really like the idea of Pizza going behind Kermit's back, but it really felt like there was so much more they could do with it, and it really should have had more energy. Seems to me like whatever traction the story could have was cut for time to fit things in. I do like the new skit and song at the end format, but there's clearly a juggling act they need to perfect here. Personally, I'd love to have seen Kermit grimacing at the script for the Pinkberry skit after reading it. Even if it gave Pizza essentially the same role as Dominique Badguy and Constantine, I really wish the script had more room for the staff to be wooed into doing the show the execs wanted them to do.

But yeah, massive credit to the performers on every episode. The writing quality is debatable, but it's not like we're getting passionless, wooden deliveries from the characters. The Gonzo/Pepe/Rizzo chemistry made their segment better than it should have been. And I totally want to see more of Rizzo hitting on Yolanda. I'll also agree about the continuity. Seems only a few things really get the continuity they deserve. This is the show for them to have that as the original show was episodic.

Hey did anyone else notice Kermit nervously clicking his pen with his thumb during his voice message to Denise? Crikey, that was subtle!
While I'm mixed about the Denise break up and mixed about how it's subtext, Steve is really doing a bang up job giving the frog the emotion he was lacking in the earlier years of having the character (though I think most of that was goaded by the producers of those projects). It's these little moments that stick out. Subtlety and subtext. Kermit's expressions during this break up are actually pretty heart wrenching.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Seems like the writers are still trying to get a handle on the retooled format just as they were with the format at the beginning of the show.

Ladywarrior

Reaction score
Ok I am split about this episode.
Uncle deadly and miss piggy's subplot was heartwarming and I loved it. It was really adorable.
the minor plot with kermit though.. that mader me sad
ad the plotline with rizzo and gonzo and pepe... eh... No thanks. I really wish they'd stop putting pepe and rizzo in plotlines because I can't STAND pepe.
By the way I think this episode and the tail episode might have been out of order.