The Muppets Episode 2 - Hostile Makeover

What did you think of "The Muppets" episode "Hostile Makeover"?

• Absolutely positively! This episode was great!

• Bork bork! This episode was good.

• Mee mee. This episode was so-so.

• You're all weirdos! This episode was disappointing.

Results are only viewable after voting.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Not so! And those aforementioned fans are not "great fans". Heck, they're not even true Muppet fans anymore and you're going down that same dark road, Dwayne and being just as bad as Ruahnna, Heralde, MuppetsRule and Ladywarrior.

Sorry to say it, but you all need to stop being wrong.
Did it ever occur to you that some of us might, you know, suffer from depression and seriously don't need anyone making it worse? You need to get it through your head that you're talking about real people with real feelings.

Muppy

Reaction score
Can someone lock this thread please? Or at least get back on the topic of your thoughts on this episode. There's been so much bullying going on in this thread by putting Muppet fan against Muppet fan. It's okay if someone doesn't think this show portrays the characters properly and it's okay if someone does. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. No one is right or wrong. Can we please stop this fighting and get back on topic? :confused:

WebMistressGina

Reaction score
This cast has no excuse. None.

I think the argument basically hinges around this: Either these are the same ol' guys we've loved, or they are strangers--to us and to themselves.

The fact that they don't seem to know how to react to each other argues strongly for the second.
I will agree you a bit on this, only in that - at least for these performers - they've gotten two movies under their belts, but with that said, movies take longer to film than a TV show and in some respects, have a little more leeway than a show does.

There's also more Executive Meddling done in TV shows than anything else.

Again, I'm not saying that the performers don't know who their characters are or what their backstory is; it's most likely not the performers, but the network. FOX is a great example, in that The Simpsons is still going, despite the fact that many of the voice actors have been trying to get out of their contracts and as someone mentioned earlier, Seth McFarlane has been trying to end some of his shows, but is being prevented because, let's face it, FOX needs all the help it can get.

Kermit going after Fozzie to bring him home was the closest thing we've seen to "normal" interaction. There was a warmth there that felt familiar. On the other hand, the thought of seeing our guys stumbling around drunk-singing doesn't sound very appealing--especially if they dump Kermit to do it.

I know many of the folks in this discussion don't ever venture over into the fanfic board, Webmistress Gina, but I know you do. I know you know that, in my stories, I have allowed these characters to be very adult and very complex and sometimes very flawed, but I've never treated them disrespectfully. I feel as though the scenarios the writers have put them in in this show are designed to make them look foolish and jerky.

And I really hate the idea that the "pinnacle" of entertainment people are comparing "the muppets" to is no highter than The Simpsons or Family Guy, both of whom RELY on offensive humor and smuttiness, even when they are trying to make a point.
You know I loves your stuff - it was the reason I joined - and you know that yes, if I had to choose to see something come alive from the fic board, I would honestly choose it over our current show, BUT, as I've mentioned to my roommate many times, Hollywood isn't catering to our age group.

A couple of people have mentioned it already - the Hollywood machine is going where the money is and that's usually, always with kids. Parents pretty much bend to the will of their kids now and they're gonna be the ones spending money and buying them the tie-in toys and merchandise. And, come on let's be honest, the Muppets right now - with Disney - is a part of the cash cow machine.

It's the reason Disney is redoing just about every single one of their animated hits as live action versions and why they're building a Star Wars land. It's also the reason Frozen managed to bump off Muppets 3D from both Disneyland and Disney World (I was not happy in learning that when I went to DL last month, cause that was on my ride/attraction rotation) and why there's a Frozen 2 in the works.

Again, I blame parents because if it wasn't for you and your kid, we wouldn't be getting a live version of the Jungle Book. There doesn't need to be another live version of the Jungle Book; nor does there need to be a live version of Beauty and the Beast or Cinderella or 101 Dalmatians or the Lion King or any movie that's in the Disney catalogue. Children will watch what you tell them (hence why you're the parent).

Anyway, I like the new show, but I'm not comparing it to TMS cause it's not and I know it's not. Just like the new movies aren't TMM, GMC, or MTM; I'm just happy that the Muppets are back on TV and in the movies. It's only been 3 episodes and it's not as terrible as I was afraid it would be. Again, if the whole group comes together at the end of this week's episode in true Muppet form and true, "Kermit, we totally screwed up and we're gonna make it up to you a thousand percent", then we might be heading somewhere.

Ruahnna

Reaction score
I don't think this is for kids. I don't think the driving force behind these plot lines is children. I think they are aiming for the disaffected young adult crowd, hence the references to substance abuse--both legal and illegal--the mean-spirited edge and the allusion to Kermit "cross-pollinating" or whatever with whoever.
This is how Disney sees the younger crowd of adults--as interested in their own self-pleasure and advancement, eager to speak badly about others behind their backs in order to curry favor and prove themselves as masters of sarcasm and worldliness.
They don't hope to appeal to the power of long-standing relationships because they don't actually think that young adults today HAVE long-standing relationships.
I don't believe that. I believe that people today, young and old, are capable of strong attachments, of selflessness and The desire to leave the world a better place than they found it. I'd like to see more of THOSE adults and their sensibilities reflected in Hollywood's entertainment mill.

Iscah

Reaction score
I've noticed that while Kermit has like three best friends (Fozzie, Gonzo, and Rowlf)(four, if you include Scooter), Piggy doesn't really have any close friends, period. That we know of and who are in the Muppets, that is. But if she did have a close friend or even a best friend, it seems to be Kermit.
Another reason to bring Skeeter back? They got on fairly well in the Family Reunion comic, if I remember correctly?

I may be misremembering or combining different stories, but when I saw Dave Goelz give a talk a few years back he was commenting that there was not a specific Camilla puppet. They would grab any chicken and use it. Jerry Nelson always tried to use one with blue eye lids but it was not always available, so random chickens filled in. So Dave said jokingly all chickens look like Camilla to Gonzo. So I don't think it's a character trait or short coming just a joke about a behind the scenes issue with which of these dozen chickens did we use as Camilla in the last scene?
Not sure about the story with the puppets, but I was under the impression that the blue-eyelidded chicken specifically is Camilla?

Anyway, Camilla is a definite character, not just any chicken Gonzo likes - although he might call the wrong chicken by that name.

(Hmm, that reminds me of - I just watched I Am Big Bird last week, and there was one bit where Caroll talks about how he tried to ask girls out on dates a few times, months apart, then discovered later that it was the same girl each time! Maybe Gonzo and Camilla's relationship is a bit like that. Or something.)

... the allusion to Kermit "cross-pollinating" or whatever with whoever.
Cross-promoting. But anyway, everyone seems to be taking that as a euphemism, but I think it can be taken innocently. (They've just met, so they chat and tell each other about themselves, and discover that they get along well.) I think it makes more sense that way anyhow.

Anyway, I was disappointed with the plot about Fozzie stealing. It was almost redeemed when he was so overcome by guilt afterwards, but then he went and did it again.

Stephanie Evjen

Reaction score
I always thought the Electric Mayhem were stoners, I thought it was common knowledge and how they always were depicted?....
I guess I kind of understood the phrase "legally now" which Scooter replied after Bobo said that the Electric Mayhem are always happy. I was like "oh." Well, that's hippie life for ya. Still, you gotta love the Electric Mayhem. :big_grin::sing::flirt::cool::halo:

Stephanie Evjen

Reaction score
The episode was pretty good. At the beginning when Piggy was at a "code red" mood, I thought that was a MASSIVE tantrum. :eek: I felt pretty bad for the guys for what they have to go through due to Piggy's little "hissy fits". I also felt pretty bad for the Electric Mayhem when they had to go acoustic to please Piggy and Josh Groban, and the I felt the song "Dead Inside" sounded like a really depressing message. Overall, when it comes to love, it can make you do pretty crazy stuff. For me, Kermit and Piggy obviously still have feelings for each other, despite the fact that Kermit now has a new girlfriend named Denise (who's a pig, and more nicer to Kermit than Piggy was to him and is thoughtful) and Piggy is currently dating other male stars. The breakup between Kermit and Piggy really made me sad on the inside, as I supported the relationship, but right now, I'm currently supporting Kermit and Denise. I'll still be in the know for Kermit and Piggy, just to set the record straight.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Bump.

My personal review on this episode:

I actually don’t have much to say about this one, found myself just making a few chuckles than full on laughing, minus the cold opening. Though I will give some personal highlights I found funny or loved.

Fozzie pretty much ruining his friendship with Jay Leno by stealing his stuff. It was also cool getting to see Jay’s appearance on the show. (I can also relate to Fozzie’s situation of trying too hard to please someone, only digging yourself in a hole.

Seeing Statler and Waldorf, the Swedish chef and the newsman appear on the show for the first time

The newsman and Bobo competing against each other with girl scout cookies

Josh Groban’s performance with Miss Piggy.

Lawrence insulting Kermit

And Zoot’s joke on signing the card with the saxophone.

Overall, decent episode, but could have been a little better in my opinion.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Bump.

My personal review on this episode:

I actually don’t have much to say about this one, found myself just making a few chuckles than full on laughing, minus the cold opening. Though I will give some personal highlights I found funny or loved.

Fozzie pretty much ruining his friendship with Jay Leno by stealing his stuff. It was also cool getting to see Jay’s appearance on the show. (I can also relate to Fozzie’s situation of trying too hard to please someone, only digging yourself in a hole.

Seeing Statler and Waldorf, the Swedish chef and the newsman appear on the show for the first time

The newsman and Bobo competing against each other with girl scout cookies

Josh Groban’s performance with Miss Piggy.

Lawrence insulting Kermit

And Zoot’s joke on signing the card with the saxophone.

Overall, decent episode, but could have been a little better in my opinion.
You're almost making me want to watch the series again.