The Muppets Episode 1 - Pig Girls Don't Cry (Pilot)

What did you think of "The Muppets" series premiere "Pig Girls Don't Cry"?

• Absolutely positively! This episode was great!

• Bork bork! This episode was good.

• Mee mee. This episode was so-so.

• You're all weirdos! This episode was disappointing.

Results are only viewable after voting.

jobi71

Reaction score
It's still a show about Kermit and Piggy.

It's just a show about Kermit and Piggy being in a relationship and being unkind to each other and NOT being funny,

instead of

a show about Kermit and Piggy being in a relationship which is both affectionate and snarky and being funny.
I think having them separate gives a lot of space for the writers and performers to come up with good material. (Although in my heart I feel the same way Ruahanna does - that they should be and are in fact a perfect (if a bit dysfunctional couple). I am curious Ruahanna if this separation and Denise and Josh Groban etc brings the two to a better more connected relationship would you think it worth it? I know Muppet cannon is as flexible as dough, so in the next movie they will be playing an old married couple, but for the duration of this series maybe being apart will let us see some of Kermit's feelings (which he hides very well) and Piggy's vulnerability which she also hides but with less success than Kermit.

Ladywarrior

Reaction score
I just gotta wonder though. are they pretending to be broken up for the show and publicity or are they really not a thing anymore?

DARTH MUPPET

Reaction score
Obviously this was the pilot that aired on Youtube months ago but with more scenes but also edited and I knew it would be the case, I even said it when the 10 minute pilot aired on Youtube!

With that out of the way I loved it. I believe this show is mostly for the adult fans who grew up with the Muppets back in the 70's and 80's and that was why the Muppets cursed, that is why the Muppets had adult humor, and I loved it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jobi71

Reaction score
Here's a review I found. Seeing Kermit and the rest of the gang as they are is a little heartbreaking: http://www.theguardian.com/culture/2015/sep/21/the-muppets-new-episodes-tv-review-abc

I know a lot of you love it, but this is just how I feel. I mean no offense or harm.
I take no offense at your thoughts. I do want to point out a minor quibble with the review and with some others and a lot of comments that have surfaced about Zoot. In this episode when Zoot realizes he is in a meeting jumps up and says "My name is Zoot and I'm.." He is cut off by Floyd telling him it's a different meeting. Some folks have been confused - where does Zoot think he is? He think's he is at either an AA (Alcoholics Anonymous) or NA (Narcotics Anonymous) meeting. It is custom at these meetings for attendees to state their name and their addiction. This is splitting hairs here but so many have posted about Zoot being an alcoholic. As a recovering alcoholic I do not think he is. He is a stoner. Always has been. "Zoot skipped a grove again". The fact that he knows the protocol of meetings is actually a very positive sign. He is on the first step toward recovery. How funny and rewarding would it be if one of the long runners of the show is that Zoot gets clean (in the background - no need for a plot about it, but you could chart his progress). It's a way the show could be adult and be funny and do some good.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
I enjoyed the premiere and even had a few laughs too but I got the impression they seemed a bit more.. well meaner than usual? I don't know. I'm sure it'll get better as time goes on. and is it just me or does dr teeth have a new outfit? It looks kind of... simple.

Also.. where in the world did zoot think he was?!
Yeah they did seem much meaner than usual, I didn't like that. But yeah overall i'm pretty happy with the pilot. It wasn't perfect,but what can you do:smirk:. I really don't like where Miss Piggy's character has been going recently.She's way more obnoxious and more full of herself than she used to be.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Actually, that's a good idea, maybe show or imply that Zoot is progressing through the rest of the twelve steps towards cleaning his act. Oh, and I liked the shot of :sing: and :flirt: talking about Imagine Dragons. Still don't know who that band is, but we got a moment of banter between the band's main members.

Ladywarrior

Reaction score
I'd still love to see if they give dr. teeth some plotline though I do NOT want them to give him a love interest. Yeah I know that sounds weird and it's not because I am a huge fan of him, it would just be weird.
The Zoot thing was amusing and kind of cute especially floyd's comment about them not being in "that kind of meeting" he saved the saxaphonist from some real embarrassment.

jobi71

Reaction score
I'd still love to see if they give dr. teeth some plotline though I do NOT want them to give him a love interest. Yeah I know that sounds weird and it's not because I am a huge fan of him, it would just be weird.
The Zoot thing was amusing and kind of cute especially floyd's comment about them not being in "that kind of meeting" he saved the saxaphonist from some real embarrassment.
Looking at real life late night chat the host(ess) does have some banter and rapport with the band, so perhaps if not a full plotline at least more involvement will happen.

Ladywarrior

Reaction score
I hope we get more goofy antics though. The thing with pepe and rizzo doing the dancing thing was the kind of weird random humor they're known for and I'd love to see more of it. It's always been my favorite thing about the muppets. The weird things they do. Or them doing a music number and it ends badly or weird things happen in the background of it.