Your Thoughts: Sesame Street Old School DVD

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You can now relive the first five years of Sesame Street with the new Old School Volume 1 DVD box set. Read our review of this exciting release here...

http://www.muppetcentral.com/articles/reviews/dvd/sesame_old_school_1.shtml

If you order the Old School DVD's from the link below, you'll get free shipping and a portion of the order will go back to Muppet Central, helping us keep the site and new projects coming in the future.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000H6SY8C/muppetcentral/

Post here and let us know what you think about Sesame Street Old School.

chpoof

Reaction score
Although I don't have the set yet but hope to get it sometime next week, let me be the first to say thank you to you, Phillip, for posting the links and especially to Greg for his excellent review. Even with the edits, this sounds like an awesome set. I hope it sells like hotcakes and that Sesame Workshop will be able to continue putting out more volumes. :smile:

oldgreypole

Reaction score
I hope, that on a future "Sesame Street" DVD box set, that the cartoon with Tiger writing the word "school" on the blackboard is included. I've been interested in seeing this one again since 1991, the year that my interest in the "Tiger" comic strip was renewed, after reading early episodes on newspaper microfilm. I first recall seeing this animation back in 1973 or 1974, and last seeing it in 1985.

I notice that an animated adaptation of another one of my favorite comic strips, "Beetle Bailey," has been included in the "Old School Volume 1" DVD set. I collected this cartoon back in 1992 when it appeared in episode 2937.

There was also another King Features Syndicate comic strip adaptation that appeared on "Sesame Street." Does anyone remember the cartoon with the Krazy Kat character? The curriculum goal of this one is the word "love." I recall that this animation had strange music, Ignatz throwing a few bricks at Krazy, and a big word "love," probably made out of stone. I also recall some floating hearts.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
A lot of the bonus skits mentioned are ones that I haven't heard about. I was wondering if they would mostly be ones that everybody knows about and have been included on many videos, anniversary specials, and whatnot, but a lot of them I don't really know anything about. It feels like a treat finally seeing the original Oscar singing I Love Trash, plus I've Got Two (I've been wondering if those songs were recorded especially for the first album or if they were on the show in the first season). It's also great that I'll finally be able to see the skit where Big Bird met Little Bird and The Monsters Three Wishes. It is a shame that more Kermit skits weren't included, but most of the ones included are ones that I haven't seen, and we pretty much get a little bit of everything from the first five years on the set. We get an almost equal balance of main characters, at least one skit with most of the non-main characters from the first three years, two Grover the Waiter skits, at least one Baker, Jazz, Alice Braitswaith Goodyshoes, Buddy and Jim, Larry and Phyllis, and Mad Painter sketch each, one Super Grover sketch, one Sesame Street News sketch (and another sketch with Kermit as a reporter), and more. I don't think this set will have any Ralph and Wally or country fiddler skits (like Two Toucans Two-Steps), though.

And the press release seemd to have a few errors. As pointed out in the review, it has 54 bonus skits instead of 45 (that's sweet!), and there were press releases that mentioned that the set hs Pinball Number Count and Sing with Bob, but those don't appear to be included. I don't know why these errors were made in the press release (perhaps when the press release was written the DVD producers thought Pinball Number Count was part of the first five years and corrected the mistake before it was released, and maybe the same thing applies to Sing).

It is a bit great that this set does have some skits with non-Sesame Workshop characters, not just Kermit the Frog, but also Batman, Superman, and Beetle Bailey. I kept wondering what wuld have been cut from Noggin, and it seems like most of what Noggin cut wasn't included in other episodes (though some were), and most of these skits don't seem too interesting. I could be wrong and learn that they are better than they sound. I was hoping that Noggin cut some Kermit and Herbert Birdsfoot skits from the episodes included (so we'd have more of them than what we would have known), as well as some Little Jerry and the Monotoens skits, and some more Lefty skits (did Noggin ever show any Lefty segments?). But it stil sounds satisfying.

By the way, regarding the upcomming The Best of The Electric Company Voluem 2, is this set comming out nearly a year after the first release, or is that gap shorter (or longer)? Maybe this can clue us in to how long we'll have to wait for volume two of Sesame Street: Old School.

CherryPizza

Reaction score
I guess it's inevitable that the fans who watch and the legal teams who guard these releases will never completely see eye-to-eye, but Sesame Workshop seemed to be incredibly considerate this time. Admitting that the show has grown-up fans, promising something Elmo-free and releasing as much as they can is sure a great effort on their part.

I'd like to believe that if they show this much effort, we will in turn be considerate enough to understand and forgive for the inevitable edits.

Grrrrrrr, I had to order mine through Amazon and then will have to wait for it to be shipped to Australia... the wait is killing me.

Cherry "Can you tell me how to get, how to get this box set faster" Pizza

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I have four questions:

1. Does this set include any skits where Richard Hunt performs voices?
2. It is mentioend that the season five premier had an animated skit where a man holds one leg in the air, which was cut on Noggin. I know that a similar skit, with Jasper and Julius, was in the season four premier. Are these the same skit?
3. What characters appear in Prairie Dawn's pageant in this set?
4. Does this set have a feature where viewers can preview other Sesame Street DVDs, like on the other Sesame Street DVDs?

It seems like I predicted quite a bit of stuff. For the longest time I figured that the first episode would be included. hen I learned that this set focused on the first five seasons I figured that it would have one episode from each season, with my main guess being that they would all be season premiers (I think many of us predicted the same thing). It would be harder to guess which episodes will be included in volume two (unless we just predict the season premiers from 1974-1979). When it was confirmed that the set would have "complete" episodes and bonus sketches, I predicted that they'd be grouped by season, though I also incorrectly predicted that there'd be an equal number of bonus skits per season (and while I didn't mention this prediction on the forum, I predicted that the closing sequences from each season would be included with the bonus skits after I leanred that each episode was accompanied by clips from each season). I made a few wish lists, and I think that the only bonus skit that I put in any wish list that is included is Bert's Bust (assuming that's the one where Ernie makes a clay sculpture of Bert and runs out of clay for the nose). However, there are a few skits that I hoped would be included, despite not putting them on wish lists. Those skits are Big Bird Meets Little Bird and The Monsters Three Wishes. I also kind of predicted, though I never predicted it out loud on these forums, that Martians Telephone and "A Quart of Milk, a Loaf of Bread, and a Stick of Butter" would be included. I did have some wrong predictions. I predicted and hoped that more bonus Kermit skits would be included, and I was wrong (I had also hoped and predicted that there would be at least one Kermit skit for each season represented, excepting season two).

I was just counting the bonus sketches listed. it was said that it actually has 54 bonus skits, but then I found that this includes the closing credits sequences. Shoudl this count? If not, then there are actually 49 bonus skits and five closing credit sequences.

gbrobeck

Reaction score
To answer your questions:

1. I'm not sure.
2. Yes that's the one.
3. It's the one where they show how a plant is grown, with Bert as the plant.
4. No.

Greg

zns

Reaction score
This is by far the greatest DVD release that Sesame Workshop has given us since they brought out The Electric Company in February. Hopefully we will see more Old School sets come out in the future. All in all, this is the best review I have ever read on the website and I certainly cannot wait for Tuesday.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
zns said:
This is by far the greatest DVD release that Sesame Workshop has given us since they brought out The Electric Company in February. Hopefully we will see more Old School sets come out in the future. All in all, this is the best review I have ever read on the website and I certainly cannot wait for Tuesday.
Oh, so it was febuary that The Best of the Electric Company Vol. 1 came out, and it appears as if volume 2 will come out in just barely less than a year. Hopefully Old School Vol. 2 will come out in barely less than a year (hopefully next July) or less.