Your Thoughts: Muppet Central's 22nd Birthday

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Happy birthday! Muppet Central is now 22 years old. The site and our original forum debuted 22 years ago on January 28, 1998. Muppet Central Radio began two years later on January 28, 2000.

Back when the site first started the Jim Henson Company still owned all of their original properties including the Muppets and Sesame Street. Two new feature films were in development simultaneously, "Muppets from Space" and "Elmo in Grouchland". The Children's Television Workshop was gearing up for their upcoming 30th anniversary and the Jim Henson Company was developing an ambitious sci-fi series that would eventually become Farscape. Even though many changes have occurred throughout the EM.TV and Disney years, we’ve been honored to be a small part of it and to provide a place for fan discussion and interaction.

We want to thank all of the staff, past and present who have given so much of their time and giftings to make Muppet Central a great place. Every member here is a vital part of what makes Muppet Central special. Thanks for doing your part in keeping Jim Henson’s vision of the Muppets alive. We believe great days are ahead.

While we’re celebrating 22 years, we are also looking towards the future. Answer the below questions and let us know your predictions for 2020.

(1) What do you think the future holds for the Muppets especially with Matt Vogel's recast as Kermit, the reboot of Muppet Babies and the upcoming Muppets Now short-form series for the Disney+ streaming service? On February 17, it will have been 16 years since Disney bought the Muppet characters and Bear in the Big Blue House. They aren't the new property anymore, especially with money makers like Fox, Star Wars and Marvel now in the family.

(2) What would you like to see Sesame Street produce or release in 2020? What are your hopes for Sesame Street's upcoming big move to the HBO Max streaming service? Sesame Street is trying to expand the brand in big ways in the upcoming year.

(3) What are your hopes for new productions from the Jim Henson Company in 2020? With the Dark Crystal prequel series "Age of Resistance", the company has had a huge breakthrough that we haven't seen since Farscape. Will "Age of Resistance" be renewed for a second season? We'll see. We're also still waiting for the Fraggle Rock movie that's been in development since 2005.

(4) What are some of your favorite Muppet Central memories or traditions from the past 22 years?

Happy birthday everyone!

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
Happy Birthday to Muppet Central, and happy 20th anniversary to Muppet Central Radio!

Cookie3001

Reaction score
This may be my favorite site in the whole world, happy anniversary Muppet Central

MUPPETFAN1976

Reaction score
Man, it is hard to believe that this forum has been around longer than I’ve been alive. That’s insane! (I turn 20 in a month).

1. This is a very interesting question. The future may not be as bright as it was, say, 10 years ago, but it’s still bright. Matt Vogel is a very busy man these days. However, now that the Star Wars Skywalker saga is complete, maybe they could focus on The Muppets more, possibly. I am, however, very hopeful for this Muppets Now series! I can’t wait to see it. Also, I’ve loved the Muppet Babies revival since Day 1. The charm is still there!

2. Me, personally, in terms of producing, more on-location specials. Like they did back in 1983 at the Metropolitan Museum of Art. It would be pretty cool to see where they would take this. They’ve gone to Australia quite a number of times (just for example purposes of course). For HBO Max, we’ll just see where that goes.

3. I’ve never seen the original Dark Crystal, but I do have high hopes for it. As for a Fraggle Rock Movie, I don’t know at this point. But you never know. I know it’s been in development since 2005. However, if they start doing it this year or next year, I expect a release no later than 2024 at the latest. This is up in the air, though. So, we’ll see. But I am very hopeful that we will finally see a Fraggle Rock Movie down the line.

4. I’ve been here on and off the last few years (mostly because of school. I’m a college student now). However, I love writing fanfics and stories. Sure, most of mine are meeting the Muppets (which some people think is clique at this point), but there’s really nothing wrong with it. I just so it solely for entertainment value and just for the fun of telling stories. One of my favorites was a collaboration that some members and I did about 5-6 years ago. If I remember correctly, we had to go out and get celebrities to be featured in a new Muppets Movie. It was me, DominicBoo, FozzieisFunny, MuppetLover2000, and someone else. Sadly, this was never completed. However, I still write occasionally and I might post some here in the coming year (whenever I get the time of course).

Happy 22nd Birthday Muppet Central!! ❤❤

Katzi428

Reaction score
This place has been around 22 years? WOW! Happy Birthday MC!!:excited: