Your Most Relatable Characters

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Outside the world of Muppets, are there any fictional characters out there in pop culture that you particularly relate to?

For me, there are two biguns: Radar O'Reilly and George Costanza.

Radar moreso as I was growing up, as I unfortunately lived a VERY sheltered life, and my folks rather overprotected me from the "real world", so I was always the naive, and the "unintelligent" one in a crowd, especially at school, where my peers would occasionally tease me over my lack of "knowledge" regarding things like "the facts of life" and all... I even had that exact same experienmce Radar once had where he was asked if it's true that he's a virgin, and didn't know how to answer that.

Lately, I've realized that I'm a lot like George in many ways now that I'm grown up: I still live with my parents, I don't have paying job, but the biggest thing is that I've learned to never trust my instincts, because like with George, it seems like no matter what my instinct is, no matter what foresight I have, no matter what premonition I have, no matter what predictions or gut feelings I have, the results are always the exact opposite of what I think will happen... I just haven't actually tried doing the opposite yet like he did, because somehow I think that if everything turns out to be the opposite for me, that actually doing the opposite would have bad results rather than good like they did for George.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I must need sleep. I read that as "Most REGRETTABLE Characters" and assumed it was about your own characters you hate XD

I'd say I can relate to Fern from Arthur in a way. Despite how I seem online I am really a shy, quiet person that is just sorta always there but not payed attention to. When I actually say something, either no one hears me, or everyone is so shocked I said something they all listen. I've never had the same interests as other people in my age. Once you get to know me, you find out how truly crazy I actually am. Although I have gotten better.

You could also pretty much say every intelligent dork. Jimmy Neutron, Dr. Drakken, The Hare (Adventures in Wonderland)...But I didnt get the nickname of Garth for nothing! I'm smart, but good frog I have zero common sense. Sometimes it takes me a while to really understand what people are telling me. I'll say the most random, stupid things. Kinda like the whole underwear speech Garth gives. Totally random similes that make people give me the "lobsters are crawling out of my ears" look. I'm usually totally lost without a friend there with me. Only Garth seems to have a better love life than I do :smirk:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
There was actually a very similar question when I took the SAT II's for English/Writing. I had been reading The Elephant Man at the time so I chose to focus on him. In this fictionalized version of the true story, John Merrick was someone who had been badly psychologically tortured and isolated his own whole life, and made to feel like an outcast for reasons entirely out of his control. As a result he's understandably a very frightened, timid person. Yet despite all of that, he remains a compassionate, loving person who yearns to believe the best of people, and eventually finds the power to stand up for himself and not just assume he deserves the abuse he suffered.

I was bullied a lot as a kid (though obviously nowhere near as badly as Merrick was in the book and in real life) and it definitely affected my self esteem. Though I have good friends now, sometimes it's hard for me to believe I'm worth knowing, since my childhood experience taught me otherwise. But I refuse to let that define the rest of my life and I also refuse to let that make me a bitter person who can't forgive people. So I definitely identified with The Elephant Man.

And though I passed the SAT II, I think what I wrote here was much better than what I wrote then, lol.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
You could also pretty much say every intelligent dork. Jimmy Neutron, Dr. Drakken, The Hare (Adventures in Wonderland)...But I didnt get the nickname of Garth for nothing! I'm smart, but good frog I have zero common sense. Sometimes it takes me a while to really understand what people are telling me. I'll say the most random, stupid things.
I can identify and maybe that's why I like Hare from Adventures in Wonderland too, because that describes him perfectly as well, lol. He sometimes takes things people tell him a little too literally because he's sort of off in his own little world. And I like how he started off as Hatter's sidekick, kind of in the background, but eventually really became his partner in insanity, hehe. :halo:

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
You know I was going to change my avatar to the hare, but I have a rule to not change it to a character from the same series as someone else's XD

But I think that's why I have always liked nerdy, dorky characters because I can relate. Hehe. I joke Jimmy Neutron is proof how someone so smart can be so dumb.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
You know I was going to change my avatar to the hare, but I have a rule to not change it to a character from the same series as someone else's XD
I wouldn't mind, honestly. That would be cool, lol. But if it bothers you, I could always change mine, it's been a couple days, lol.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Nah, don't change it because of my weird OCD XD. Its more so that people don't think I'm copying them.

It would be kinda cool, having the Hatter and Hare together lol :stick_out_tongue: *goes to crop picture*

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
How true that it. :wink:

Lol, yay, great picture!
I don't know if I should be thanking you or shaking my fist angerly for reminding me of how awesome the show is and making me obsessed with it again :zany:

Beakerfan

Reaction score
I've got a whole slew of characters I could name off (especially one or two from M*A*S*H). However, there is one in particular I think I relate to the most....

Liz Lemon. (ala "30 Rock") Seriously. My friend pointed it out to me and ever since then, all I see is myself when I watch the show. I like to think I'm not quite as hopeless as her, but really - we even dress the same! I mean, every situation she seems to find herself in, I can say that I've at least been close to that.