What is your least favorite Muppet Movie?

Drtooth

Reaction score
I don't have an opinion on KSY because I've never seen it. It just sounds to me like it was cobbled out of this unrealized project that was very obviously intended for preschoolers. So that's the problem right there.

The Muppets' Wizard of Oz - It's been awhile since I've seen this one (I don't even think I got through all of it in my last viewing). This is yet another film that I feel could have been much better. Still, I liked the bright, colorful depiction of Oz (even if it's largely green/blue screen), and the various Muppet cameos were fun. 2/5.
A lot of changes could have made the film better, but somehow I doubt it would have been very good no matter what. Say what you will about MCC and MTI, but they had Jerry Juhl's smart scriptwriting behind them. Though, I wish that Jerry was a LOT more playful with MCC, like he was with MTI. I mean, MTI gave us Old Tom, Really Old Tom and Dead Tom, the rat tourists, and a Lobster instead of a parrot.

Oz could have been better if they didn't rush production, first of all. They could have had better stunt casting at least. A stronger actress would have made the whole film mesh. And they could have gone quite a bit lighter with the pop culture references... and there was NO excuse not to have Bobo reprise his role as Jeffery Tambor's assistant. But overall, no matter how good the film could have been, the Muppets didn't play themselves, Oz is a tale told too many times (mostly parroting the 1939 movie), and it really shouldn't have launched the Disney Muppet franchise since Disney didn't really make it.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
MFS is a exercise in carelessness. The director was a hack, no one liked filming it
Look at this message I got from Peter Linz: I think someone really misinformed you. I had a wonderful, amazing time working on Muppets From Space! It was my first Muppet feature and I was so honored to be asked by Martin Baker to come work on that film. I'm good friends with Ricky Boyd, John Kennedy and Tyler Bunch and we've always shared fond memories of working on that movie.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The newbies enjoyed it. The others, not so much. Probably because the newbies weren't being shoved around with behind the scenes politics. It was a headache by all counts for Brian Henson and especially Joey Mazzarino.

Bridget

Reaction score
I did not favor the humor used in The Muppets (2011). I thought it was a bit cheap compared to their usual style; however that was expected. And they pulled the fourth wall WAY too many times.

Kermit's Swamp Years, to be honest, was not all that terrible. There were some funny parts that I could laugh at, but obviously that movie was strictly directed to younger viewers.

Muppets From Space- come on you guys! Was it really that bad? I wouldn't say it was absolutely terrible, however, let's just say I prefer not knowing where Gonzo actually "comes from". That is a major part of his character to be kept confidential in my opinion...

The WORST movie, to me, is definitely The Muppets Wizard Of Oz. I won't say that ALL of it made me upset, but what was the point in producing that film? The songs were more than lame, and altogether is was low quality. The only thing I could say that I "liked" in this film would be Pepe. Other than that, definitely not their best movie.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I think part of the problem with MWoO was people were expecting a tribute to the 1939 MGM movie, instead of an adaptation of the original L. Frank Baum literature.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I think part of the problem with MWoO was people were expecting a tribute to the 1939 MGM movie, instead of an adaptation of the original L. Frank Baum literature.
Eh, I haven't read the Baum book in awhile but I seem to remember the jokes actually being funny. :wink:

Drtooth

Reaction score
MWO had "tributes" (if you want to call it that, rather than kinda swiping from) to the MGM film and The Wiz, and supposedly it was true to the book in some places. Then again, Wizard of Oz lives eternally in the shadow of of the 1939 MGM movie that any adaption other than it...even ones that directly reference it flop. Except of course for Wicked and somehow that Oz Great and Powerful movie, which were both successful.

WOZ has the biggest case of adaption displacement there has ever been. Not saying the movie wasn't great... just... it was hardly even the first movie overall.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
How I think they could have improved some of the (post-Jim Henson) Muppet movies and specials:

MCC has a beautiful spirit to it. The set design was gorgeous and the background Muppet cameos were fun to see. I'm sure Jim would have added his magic touch to make the thing absolutely spectacular. Instead, the film inherits a somber tone after the loss of two powerhouse performers and that seems like the right direction for the time period. I've had ideas of changing things about the film in past threads. In retrospect, I wouldn't change a thing. The film is a solid classic and it's what it needed to be.

MTI also has stunning production design. The most problematic issue I have is that they put too much responsibility on the human character of Jim Hawkins. The actor contributes an admirable performance, but I would have gone with an older name-actor or just cast Robin the Frog in that part. There are a lot of great scenes, but no clear vision. They also should have used the opportunity to begin integrating Scooter, Rowlf, Dr. Teeth and Janice back into the fold. Each of them could have said one or two lines before receding back into the chorus. It would have brought that "something missing" to the Muppets. I do love this film, even more than MCC, but it could have been improved.

MT shoved Kermit out of the top spot and that turned poor old Clifford into an interloper. His character develops over time, but audiences want to regularly see Kermit, Piggy, Fozzie and the gang and it really doesn't deliver much of that until the 11th hour. The recasts of Frank's characters really should have come at this point. And what was the deal with creating an all-new house band that doesn't speak or interact with anybody? I too often felt at arms-length with the program and the characters. That’s not to say there weren’t a lot of great moments and some wonderful new characters like Johnny, Sal, Seymour, Bobo and Pepe. Ultimately, what the show needed was time to develop and find its voice. ABC never really allowed it that. It tossed it in the deep end and expected it to be a champion swimmer.

MFS has a spotty development history. I'm not privy to what happened behind the scenes, so I can only judge it as a fan. I like the Noah opening, the banter between Gonzo, Rizzo and Pepe and seeing all the characters living in the house together. Beyond that, there is little substance for viewers over the age of 8. The Elmo movie suffers from the same problem, but it was targeted at younger viewers. This really signified the Muppets official identity crisis. Who makes a Muppet movie without Muppet music? I left the theater knowing that they'd have a tough road back. There was so much potential for fun in this premise no matter what script they used. They took the blandest option. I can't really say more than that.

KSY represents the full-on Muppet identity crisis. The “Life as a Pet” musical number aside, there's not much meat here. Just rubber faced human performers, stale puns and Muppeteers striving to bring a spark to the lobotomized material. One thing I have to say about all of these projects is that in each and every one of them - the Muppeteers come to play and give it their all. I just wish they hadn't gone this preschool route with the Muppet brand. However, the special features are quite funny. I wish the film had contained more of that!

VMX is mostly wonderful. It was a touch too somber and some of the moments were a little too sharp and cynical for the Muppets, but much of that was in the alternate reality. More original music would have made it better. Seeing the characters all together again made me happy and I like it.

MWoO has so much potential and rich material to draw from. I think they probably should have cast a different lead and revised the entire script before shooting. Ashanti did most of the singing, until the Muppets chimed in and were promptly cut-off after a few notes. The Muppets in an Oz special that’s not carpeted with Muppety music? Someone was spending too much time in those poppy fields. Some of the CG is clunky and doesn’t seem to be finished baking, but the production design as a whole is attractive. I just wished the world had more of a density to it. I was expecting something more like Labyrinth. Something with creatures and strangeness filling up every corner. I love Piggy’s witch and her biker gang. The elements are there. It just plays out like a checklist of events rather than a compelling story.

LTS has a lot of heart that is thrown together in a confusing, abbreviated story. I didn't quite get what they were going for, yet I enjoyed the ride.

TM is mostly a rebranding piece for projects to come so I cut it some slack. For the most part, I loved the heck out of it and Walter too! Unfortunately Gary & Mary didn't really contribute much to the film. The script just neglects to make the most of their time on screen. They’re just kind of in the way. And who's idea was it to give Amy Adams a duet with Miss Piggy, but do it all in separate cutaways? It was a lost opportunity to get the Muppets into the human's dance numbers. Just weird. The Muppet Show and Muppet Theatre sequences at the end set everything right. It’s only fitting the next film will pick up where they left off - on a great Muppety moment!

Just my two cents. I cant wait for the next movie!

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I would say you hit everything almost right on. I do agree with you about Robin making a great Jim Hawkins.

Muppets Tonight I think had the same problem that the Jim Henson Hour had, which was not enough time to develop and grow. Although so many people think that if it is not a Muppet Show format with Kermit as the MC then it is not worth watching. I can understand that, but I also think that the Muppets have to pull away from the Muppet Show and do something new to kind of keep up with the times.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I don't mean to sound the cold hearted executive but struggling TV shows are allowed a small window of time to get their act together. Many of them do. Heck the first season of Muppet Show was pretty rough before they finally found their groove. But if a show can't find a vision then the networks aren't going to waste precious time and money holding their hand. It would be ideal if all potential good ideas were given the time they needed to develop but that's not Television. It's a cutthroat business.

::shivers:: This concludes my temporary foray into TV Executive Land. You can't stay there too long without losing a bit of your humanity. Lol