Wider Foam Body Puppet Help?

Squigiman

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,
Not too long ago, I finally got around to putting together a body for my first puppet. I used for panels, and I deliberately made them a little wider than what I'd seen on the Foam Book video I've used in aiding this venture. I was excited, but then I put my arm in it. It immediately slid right down it. I hadn't anticipated this.
Now, I'm stuck, wondering what to do, next. I don't think I can effectively perform like this, so I am not yet planning on attaching the neck and head I've already got. If I did, I'd pretty much have to have the neck stretched out all the way, all the time. This severely limits any range of motion and thus makes it more difficult to effectively create a good character for the puppet.
I figured I'm not the first to encounter this problem, and thus I'm looking for some help and advice on how to go forward. There have obbviously been several Muppet characters which have had wider bodies, but they don't look stretch up all the time. There must be a reasonable solution. Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, in advance.

-Squigiman

Reaction score
have you thought about creating a foam ring that would glue to the inside of the bottom of the body to fill in a little more space?

i haven't encountered this problem, but i figure this is what i would do!
:excited:

wes

Reaction score
I use spiral pins that you can get a a fabric or Upholstery store they twist into the foam through the neck fabric and keep the neck from sliding down or you can use safety pins.