Why isn't Muppet Family Christmas still on TV?

stick

Reaction score
why isn't muppet family christmas ever on tv at christmas time? it's a good christmas show. i got it on video and i watch it every year but i only found out about it because it was on tv once years ago.

stick

Reaction score
i'm not even sure if this is in the right thread

David French

Reaction score
why isn't muppet family christmas ever on tv at christmas time? it's a good christmas show. i got it on video and i watch it every year but i only found out about it because it was on tv once years ago.
Well I can tell you that the Disney Playhouse channel in Australia and New Zealand did play the special over Christmas.

If you mean why don't networks play it every year, well then you may as well ask why don't they play every single christmas special ever made for television every year? :wink:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I have to say it is frustrating how many classic Christmas specials have been phased out over the years, and barely replaced with good ones.

MrsPepper

Reaction score
If you mean why don't networks play it every year, well then you may as well ask why don't they play every single christmas special ever made for television every year? :wink:
I wish I knew the answer to that question!

But I did happen to notice that Stick is from Canada, and that they did used to air it every year on YTV but stopped about 5 years ago.

It's probably legal reasons, now that all three properties are owned by different companies. I'm not even sure who technically owns the special.

I know Christmas is over, but you can probably get an uncut version from a tape trader in the Buy Sell or Trade forum. :smile:

rexcrk

Reaction score
I wish they'd air it on TV.... that way I could record my own DVD of it uncut :halo:

aimeram

Reaction score
I love this special, and it is my favorite out of all of them. I have it on VHS taped off Nickelodeon in the early 90s (I don't remember exactly when my mother taped it).

It does make me sad that they don't show this anymore. They really don't show any of the old Muppet specials anymore like Emmet Otter's Jug Band or A Christmas Toy.

stick

Reaction score
yes i am from canada and muppet family christmas aired on tv in the late 90's. i went out and got it on tape (1998 is printed on the tape) and i am so glad i did because it's never on tv at christmas now. i watch the tape every year.

wolfpackkick

Reaction score
i was looking for this christmas special i hope this is it its the one where they fo to fozzys grandma or mothers house and then everyone shows up including fraggle rock and sesame street with an apperence by jim henson with everyone saying "be careful of the icy patch" if this is right let me know PLEASE! ive been trying to find how i can get it on dvd its my favorite show of all time if anyone knows how i can get this please let me know
thank you

Drtooth

Reaction score
I have to say it is frustrating how many classic Christmas specials have been phased out over the years, and barely replaced with good ones.
Which is a joke, if you ask me. Christmas specials seem like a corporate cash grab half the time, and none of the ones I've seen in recent years were memorable (Elmo included. And not even because of him, either). If Charlie Brown, rudolf, and Frosty weren't staples (Frosty is actually a generic winter song to begin with, as Christmas is never mentioned in the true, original song), they wouldn't even bother with them.

I don;t think it's just to satiate a ultrasecular fringe either. I feel that a lot of network ex tend to theink their own programming is more valuable ratings wise than airing specials. And half the time, the specials are really just lousy films that have Christmas in them (like Elf). And of course, since the majority of Christmas specials are available on DVD anyway now, networks tend to think that everyone can buy up every single DVD in existance (which is why they wanted to do away with reruns).