Who are your 3 favorite Sesame Street characters?

GBaxter007

Reaction score
Who are currently your 3 (or even 4) personal favorite Sesame Street show characters and please say why (in a couple sentences each, for each fave character named).

SSLFan

Reaction score
1. Big Bird- He's awsome. Lovable 8-foot yellow bird. The backbone of Sesame Street.

2. Elmo- Don't like what he's become, but I still have a soft spot for the little red guy.

3 Ernie- Lol. He's amazing. One of SS's funniest muppets. Ernie makes the show, definately.

StreetScenes

Reaction score
so hard to pick just 3, but i would probably say oscar, big bird & bob. (makes sense...clearly i like the street scenes...)

oscar's character is complex enough to put a grouchy perspective in any scene that needs to demonstrate disrespect or callousness or sarcasm, or any scene that needs to show that it's okay not to like something, or to walk to the beat of your own drum--i think his character has allowed ss to do a lot both with comedy and with education.

big bird is also complex--curious and compassionate, and he's expressed just about every emotion there is. sometimes in interviews various ss people note that muppets need some exaggerated character trait to work--big bird doesn't have one, yet he's still got a recognizable personality. he's the most human of any of the muppets ever. i think that's why he works so well as the main character in episode plots.

bob is a sweetheart--gentle, enthusiastic, sincere, innocently gullible when dealing with oscar or sarcastic people in your neighborhood, and deeply empathetic when comforting muppets. his manner is so warm and welcoming, and he's often the one who holds the cast together in group scenes & musical numbers. plus, he's an amazing singer!

so, GBaxter007, why three? is that how many you have in mind as your favorites?​

Kiki

Reaction score
I have too many faves! Big Bird, Bob, Grover... hmmm, but THREE...

Cookie Monster: Destructive, eats everything in sight. But he has this innoncence about him. Plus, he's such a funny character!
Ernie: I do poke fun at him a bit, because he's so indecisive, and emotional wreck and times and even somewhat troubled. But that's why we love him! In my opinion, he's the funniest character, competing with Bert (who is also hilerious, but in a more subtle way).
Rosita: Sweet, compassionate, and hey- she plays the guitar! And she also offers a bit of different culture, coming from Mexico.

Redsonga

Reaction score
1) Grover, I've always loved him for how 'smart' he is and his heart :big_grin:
2) Barkley, there is just something so timeless about him :smile:
3)Telly, I've always been a worry wart and he made me feel like someone understood that. Like him, when it was the new year, 1990, I was worried where the 80's were going and if they were ever coming back *lol*
4) Mr. Snuffleupagus, he is such a faithful friend, and so big that I just always wanted to hug him...

5) The Honkers, Gladys the Cow, Forgetful Jones, and Alice share this spot for being what I loved most as background characters for 'my' SS :3

Big Bird goes without saying, nearly everyone loves him :big_grin:

The Shoe Fairy

Reaction score
1. Zoe! I grew up in the 90s, and Zoe was a regular street attraction. To this day she is still my fave Muppet. She looks cute, Acts hiliarious, Just all round awesomeness. Plus I like the Ballet thing, and how she can rub that in the face of pop culture.
2. Cookie Monster: If it's not nailed down, It's down the hatch!
3.Rosita. I love her jokes, I learnt some Spanish, and she brings a bit of flare to the street.
4. Abby Cadabby. The Newest Muppet to SS, she has climbed the ropes for me. Her demeanour is funny, and she works Well with Elmo. The Idea of a fairy full of screw ups is great, and she looks adorable. However I hate how the merch can't match the texture of her fur, because that is a defining feature. Her laugh is like heroin. One shot and you're hooked.
My special mention here is Elmo. Some of Elmo's on stage talk show stand up stuff that Kevin does is amazing Improv. And Elmo can work in certain situations, like One on One character Skits. Not to mention angry, confused or Frazzled Elmo look hiliarious with the way Kevin can suck Elmo's Eyes in.

SSLFan

Reaction score
Top 20!

:wisdom: :stick_out_tongue: :insatiable:
Lol. Since we're going beyond our limits here, this would be my top 20 favorite muppets:

1. Big Bird
2. Elmo (of the early 90's)
3. Ernie & Bert
4. Zoe
5. Telly Monster
6. Cookie Monster
7. Grover
8. Oscar the Grouch
9. Rosita
10. Abby Cadabby
11. Roxy Marie
12. Snuffy
13. Prairie Dawn
14. The Count
15. Hoots the Owl
16. Herry Monster
17. Kingston Livingston
18. (That guy who always bangs his head on the piano)
19. Curly Bear
20. (TIE) Grungetta-Betty Lou- Baby Natasha

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
:stick_out_tongue: Ernie- because he's Jim Henson's biggest contribution to the show and I'm a little bit like the orange fellow. I eat cookies in my bed too!

:grouchy: Oscar- the world of his trashcan always amazed me. He also keeps all the other characters in check. I love this guy.

:insatiable: Cookie Monster- he could have been one-note, but Frank Oz would take him to a different level with Monsterpiece Theater that just cracked me up!

Runner Up: Big Bird, of course!

Drtooth

Reaction score
I honestly can't even name just three. There are too many too chose from, and it is a buffet of greatness, after all... but condensing it to three...

Grover- There are just so many levels to the kind of skits he does... on the one hand, he is always eager to please everyone, to the point he displeases them greatly... sometimes you get him serving the wrong dish to Mr. Johnson, causing Johnson to faint... and sometimes, Mr. Johnson wants too much, causing him to exasperate. And as Super Grover, he clearly performs the Hong Kong Phooey/ Inspector Gadget method of being blissfully unaware and completely oblivious to the fact that he doesn't really do anything. And then. we get those sweet little Grover moments where he talks to the audience, or even a kid in the studio calmly and cutely.

Oscar- Another character with so many amazing levels. And it seems that he changes from decade to decade, all while staying true to himself. When he first appeared, he would just tell people to go away... but later on, he realized that to get a grouchy situation, he has to start one himself... all the times that Big Bird annoyed him, he clearly took back on Telly. I really think that the Telly/Oscar moments are some of my favorites. Now he seems to be the grouchy old grandpa figure to characters like Elmo...not that there's anything wrong with that, mind you.

and finally, Count Von Count- Obsessive? Maybe... but he really has found one thing in life that makes him blissfully happy. Even Cookie doesn't match his turning something bad into a good situation. There will always be something to count. One of my favorite Count segments was the ants carrying away his picnic... and did he get upset? no! He counted the ants taking his food away. He might have been hungry, but no doubt he had the same amount of fun he would have had eating, or more likely counting, his lunch.

And the Runner Up would be Cookie Monster... followed by Bert and Telly.

Taco Wiz

Reaction score
OH NOOOOOOOO

I hate it when you people make me choose.

:insatiable:: He's a hedonist who believes in enjoying himself. The path to enlightenment is filled with roadblocks, though. To get Santa Claus to give you cookies, you must avoid eating your pencil, telephone, and typewriter.

:grouchy:: He's a sadistic bum who lives in a trash can. He hates everyone and everything. He even hates trash, which he also loves. He is one big paradox with mood swings, but gets over this by yelling at people.

:super:: His heart is in the right place. He wants to help people. He is a waiter, a superhero, and a public television educator. He goes to extreme lengths to succeed. Even when he fails, he believes that he has succeeded, because he is think-headed and a little bit selfish. In the end, he wants to help. That's why we love him.

RUNNER-UP! He's so close, and I REALLY wanted to put him up there!

Bert: He's a boring guy. He's obsessed with the blandest species of animals [Pigeons], and collects....paper clips. He also collects bottle caps. He's the most boring guy on Sesame Street. However, his heart is in the right place, and that's why we love him.