What is the average salary of a Muppeteer?

jeffkjoe

Reaction score
I was reading Carroll Spinney's autobio the other day, and he mentioned that when he joined the Muppets in 1969, he really wasn't making enough to make ends meet, especially living in New York City. It was more for the love of the craft - the trade - rather than the money.

And I agree. Who wouldn't have loved to have a chance to work with Jim Henson, the greatest of all time?

Which gets me thinking - I wonder what the salary is for your average Muppeteer nowadays....

Like your average SESAME Muppeteer - I mean, they only tape like 20 shows per season nowadays. And then you have your first string guys, your second and third string.

What would your guess be?

Rugby

Reaction score
I've wondered the same thing, wondering if it would be worth giving up my job and pursuing any 'foot in the door' job with the company. Kinda tough having a family of 5 though. I don't suspect we will know the answer to this though unless an industry insider gives us the scoop.

Muppetsdownunder

Reaction score
I've heard that most muppeteers have other jobs also and just do the muppet thing as an on the side job, who would do it for the money! if its money you're after why not get a high paying job. I'd do it for free and im sure many people would also do it!

Reaction score
I bet that Steve makes more than the others because he does alot of extra things with kermit. but at the same time Kevin probubly gets a lot because he does alot of stuff with Elmo. but i would think you would have to have a second job because even sesame street only films like 4 months of the year or something rediculuse.

Muppetsdownunder

Reaction score
Those puppeteers are regulars who work full time I think. Kevin Clash also works at auditioning and training new puppeteers so maybe thats classed as a seperate job. I guess he aswell as Steve are classed as having a few jobs as sesame street and the muppets are 2 different companies.

MelissaY1

Reaction score
RE: Muppeteer salaries..

I think what everyone's forgetting is that the Muppeteers are freelance performers. They are not regular employees of Henson. They are paid by the job like any freelancer is. So yes, I would guess some of those who are doing more work than others are getting paid more, but from what I understand, none of the puppeteers have set salaries. They have contracts they negotiate, etc. I used to work for Henson as an intern, so I know many people who have worked there or still do and from my understanding, this how it's done. Plus if you keep in mind many of the Muppeteers have worked on other non-Henson related projects, particularly the folks who have worked on Sesame Street. Best example, is those currently in Avenue Q, Noel MacNeal used to be on Eureka's Castle, Marty Robinson used to be on Allegra's Window, other Muppet folks used to be on Between the Lions, Kevin Clash was involved with the Puzzle Place, etc.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
So this means my dream job doesn't pay?! Crap...now I'll HAVE to become an animator just to make a living.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Oh, don't give up on a dream, Snowth. Never give up on a dream.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I was sure muppeteers would get payed HUGE bucks, since Muppets are so popular, like I said, if Jim Henson hadn't invented the muppets, puppets probably wouldn't even be popular. Than again...Sesame Workshop IS non-profit, but still I was sure they got paid huge salaries.

Vic Romano

Reaction score
D'Snowth said:
Than again...Sesame Workshop IS non-profit, but still I was sure they got paid huge salaries.
Not speaking for the salaries of those on Sesame Street, but I'm a graphic designer/illustrator for a huge non-profit organization, and I do pretty well, enough to support my wife and I as the sole bread winner, so there's always hope.