WANTED: Audrey II

kbug67

Reaction score
Hello Chums!

I am going to be doing a stage preformance of The Little Shop of Horrors in January 2008. In past productions we have rented out Audrey II's from different drama groups and as this preformance has now begun to be a annual preformance we have decided to invest in our very own plant.

Im am looking for a puppet builder who would be able to Build and ship to the U.K an Eight Foot Audrey II and if possible 4 of the Very Small Audrey II's that are seen at the start of the Preformance.

We only have a budget of $400 to spend on the plant itself so if this only covers the cost of the large Audrey II we'll only order that.

I do know that $400 is a very small amount to build a puppet and expesially a puppet that is eight feet tall but unfortunaltly due to us been a very small ameature group we cannot spend anymore over that that is really all the money we have spare at this present time.

From KB!

Teenager's

Reaction score
I agree 400 is a Very small amount for what you are asking, but do you have the time and space to build one yourself. My Puppetry Club and I for our May show built a 8 foor walk around character for around 400 because what we used for the frame was free. We used green plastic strapping that holds lumber together at hardware stores and they were just throwing it away. You can probably find some in the UK but I don't know if it will be green

muppetperson

Reaction score
There is a set of 4 Audrey puppets on ebay but bidding starts at $1,100 and buy it now at $1,200.It includes the walk around Audreys.

Jinx

Reaction score
The 4 puppets on ebay don't look as awful as most I've seen. If you were to get them I'd consider repainting them at least.

To have a set built for $400 is simply not realistic at all. The first set I built we spent nearly $2,000 on parts alone, and the second one we cut some corners and spent $1,500. Both of these were over 10 years ago. I'm sure prices have gone up since then.

If $400 is all you have to spend you would be much better off making your own with whatever you can get for that money, becuase if you pay someone $400 you'll get nothing but a non-functioning headache.

If the show is a long-term "annual event" then they should be willing to invest some money in it.

wickedpuppets

Reaction score
get ahold of Cher of http://Puppetsbycher.net

she has ade a few Audrey puppets, and if you talk to her about her project I'm sure she can work with your Budget. Tell her Loki sent you.

(I'll hunt up a photo or two of her past Audrey's in a few mins)

-Loki-

kbug67

Reaction score
but do you have the time and space to build one yourself.
I have the time and the space but i haven't built a puppet before.

If anybody has any plans, designs and advice on how to make an Audrey II that would be great!

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
To get a decent, professionally built set the cost usually runs in to at least a few thousand dollars.

staceyrebecca

Reaction score
A few years ago we made some absolutely horrid Audrey II puppets for around 300 dollars. I'm very ashamed of them, but they worked...It can be done. They might look absolutely terrible, but it can be done.

If the show is in January, I'd start building now. You never know what you could get donated as far as materials go.

Jinx

Reaction score
If you're looking for plans you can rent a book How to Audrey II from Music Theatre International (www.mtishows), who licenses the performance rights for the show. It contains the original plant plans by Marty Robinson who created them. In my humble opinion, this is by far the best look for the Audrey IIs.