Walt Disney Company - Classic Muppets???

Marky

Reaction score
I love this site, and I love the forums here. There, now that that's out of the way...

When I browse the category of Classic Muppets, I forget often that it's in the 'Walt Disney Company' section. Now I'm asking this publically.

Why?

Classic Muppets, I assume, refer to the golden age of their creativity from Ed Sullivan right up to before Fraggle Rock? So... what does this era have to do with Disney? Is it a current ownership thing? Because as far as I know, before the 2005 Disney death-blow, Disney's involment w/ the Muppets was limited to just some tacky Resort stuff (while Henson was still alive), and the executive-production of the two Literary Muppet Movies. It would be a certainly be a stretch to call that classic material.

Disney may have bought the rights to the Classic stuff, but it did not create it. Any thoughts?

muppetperson

Reaction score
I think "classic" muppets came about because there was Sesame Street Muppets and they had to have a term to distinguish the two groups.So there was Ernie, Bert, Cookie monster, etc and then the classic characters, Kermit, Miss Piggy, Fozzie etc,So classic is more a character term than an era.Now of course, Disney own the word Muppet, so Sesame Street Muppets are now Sesame Street characters as they cant use muppet to describe them.

BEAR

Reaction score
Well, yes and no, Muppetperson. The characters on Sesame Street are still legally referred to as the Sesame Street Muppets.

Gonzo14

Reaction score
One thing I've wondered is about Kermit, he's a "Classic" Muppet Character, and a Sesame Street Character, so who technically owns him since they're owned by different companies, does this mean that Kermit can't be on Sesame Street anymore?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Gonzo14 said:
One thing I've wondered is about Kermit, he's a "Classic" Muppet Character, and a Sesame Street Character, so who technically owns him since they're owned by different companies, does this mean that Kermit can't be on Sesame Street anymore?
Old segments with Kermit can still be shown on Sesame Street (though Sesame Street chooses not to show them very much), it's foreign co-productions (and some of those productions still show Kermit segments frequently), and on DVD.

Marky

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
Old segments with Kermit can still be shown on Sesame Street (though Sesame Street chooses not to show them very much), it's foreign co-productions (and some of those productions still show Kermit segments frequently), and on DVD.
Hmm. Perhaps my point wasn't very clear...

What I'm trying to say is that Classic Muppets (productions with ie, Kermit, Piggy etc made while Jim Henson was alive) should at least deserve their own section? An old school-type of thing away from the Disney section?

BEAR

Reaction score
Sorry, Marky, but does it really matter? It's the same discussions no matter what category they are put under. I think you are missing the point.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
The term "Classic Muppets" in this folder refers to The Muppet Show and related productions, like Muppets Tonight and the movies.

Marky

Reaction score
BEAR said:
Sorry, Marky, but does it really matter? It's the same discussions no matter what category they are put under. I think you are missing the point.
How am I missing the point? I started the thread posing the question!

:concern:

JJandJanice

Reaction score
Why doesn't it matter??:confused:

Besides like it or not, Disney owns the Muppets, both old and new (needless to say, minus Fraggle Rock and Sesame Street.) So that alone would make it in the Disney section of the forum.

Marky, I don't want to sound rude to you or nothing, but I've seen more than a few posts from you, where all you do is just, to be honset, just totally hate on Disney. I mean The Muppets were bought by Disney two years ago, don't you think you should kind of, I don't know, get over it?

But please don't take any real offese to what I'm saying, that's just my two cents, whichs is what forums are for, :wink: .