Wabbit: The new Looney Tunes series

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm splitting this up from the Looney Tunes Show thread for obvious reasons.

So apparently, and without any promotion until just today, Cartoon Network flip flopped and decided to premier at least the first 5 episodes of Wabbit starting tomorrow at 5 on their own network, not its sister network Boomerang. While I was a bit skeptical at first, but the promos have me quite excited for it. Seems that this is the first time out of the last few where the show focuses mostly on Bugs (at least according to the previews), rather than an ensemble (LTS, LU, and BL) or rather than starring a broader character (Taz-Mania, S&TM, and Duck Dodgers).

Schfifty

Reaction score
I've read some of the negative reactions to the sudden swap on Toonzone, and I'm a bit flabbergasted about this as well. I think Cartoon Network is really trying to get back to their Looney Tunes roots, starting with bringing Baby Looney Tunes back, and they apparently decided to give a sneak peak of Wabbit on their channel for this whole week. But now I'm confused whether they actually want it to stick on Boomerang exclusively after this or not.

The design for Bugs looks cool, though.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Seems that this is the first time out of the last few where the show focuses mostly on Bugs (at least according to the previews), rather than an ensemble (LTS, LU, and BL) or rather than starring a broader character (Taz-Mania, S&TM, and Duck Dodgers).
This one will also utilize four 5-minute shorts similar to the length of the theatrical shorts. And even though the name makes it seem like Elmer Fudd will be the main protagonist, there are supposed to be plenty of new characters to take that role, as well.

The design for Bugs looks cool, though.
The design looks like a fusion of LTS and the shorts to me.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Also, it seems like WB is starting to warm up to keeping the LT cast consistent with its voice actors, as Jeff Bergman and Maurice LaMarche will be voicing Bugs and Sam again. Hopefully the other VAs will be retained, too.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I guess the TZ folks can complain about the scheduling things, but I'm glad I get to see it earlier than before. I'm really looking forward to this.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
CN's schedule is all over the map with current promos. They announce Wabbit premiering tomorrow and airing weekdays at 5 PM. Then they air a promo for "new episodes" of Total Drama Redonkulous Race for Monday at 7:30 PM when they've supposedly been airing Mondays at 5 PM. Then there's another promo for this week's New Thursday with Steven Universe and the actual premiere of Redonkulous Race at 5 PM also?
:confused: :confused: :confused:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I've read some of the negative reactions to the sudden swap on Toonzone, and I'm a bit flabbergasted about this as well. I think Cartoon Network is really trying to get back to their Looney Tunes roots, starting with bringing Baby Looney Tunes back, and they apparently decided to give a sneak peak of Wabbit on their channel for this whole week. But now I'm confused whether they actually want it to stick on Boomerang exclusively after this or not.
CN's pretty much...yeah...when it comes to scheduling these things. Lots of things come as spur of the moment. They added Shaun the Sheep to the weekday line up with no promotion, and they yanked it off for another TTG marathon mid-week without any notice. The new Mixels special just popped up as being on the 26th of this month like a week ago with little to no promotion. Not a good sign for something that essentially exists to sell toys. I don't see why they're so spontaneous about their line up, and consistency would be nice.

Anyway, I don't see why this should be the subject of negative reaction that it's going to premiere on the main network after all. A little last minute, and that's one of the problems I have with the network. But by all means, this means that those who don't get Boomerang don't have to pirate the series (well, at least they can see the first few episodes before they do), and it's a week earlier than it's run on Boomerang (which is still happening).

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I liked the first episodes. I certainly laughed, though the pacing is a bit too fast. The only dud to me was the Bigfoot episode. I don't really mind the character designs; Sam's is iffy, but the rest are fine.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Is it just me, or could that Bigfoot episode be any more of a pilot? I agree that the Bigfoot episode was the weakest of the episodes, and it really seems that he's going to be a recurring character to boot. Though if there's one thing I actually liked, it was that out of the four other cartoons it was the only time when Bugs wasn't the ace. At least they're switching it up.

Other than that, I really enjoy this series so far. The pacing is a bit fast, but they are trying to get 2 cartoons into a 10 minute frame. I really liked the Tom and Jerry show, but the biggest complaint is that Tom and Jerry's new 10 minutes a short runtime made some of the cartoons run like sketch comedy bits that ended halfway through their actual runtime. So I can't blame them for making it a bit too snappy. If this thing was 22 long instead of 11 minutes, I'm sure it would have been more Animaniacs style 3 shorts at about 7 minutes each.

Looks like we're getting something that LTS didn't deliver on. Darran Noris as Wile E. Coyote. Wasn't he supposed to speak in that show, and didn't even appear much outside his CGI segments?

OH. And apparently, CN also flip flopped and Be Cool, Scooby-Doo's going to get a week of episodes come October 5th.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I enjoy this series, too. It has a better balance of slapstick and dialogue-based humor compared to LTS, and I like how half the time, Bugs was the one being victimized. I always enjoyed characters like the Gremlins and Cecil the Turtle who were able to put one over on him for once. :smile:

And as for Bigfoot, Bugs should be lucky that he wasn't smothering him and calling him George like Hugo the Abominable Snowman. :wink: