Video: Sesame Street Puppeteer Workshop with Matt Vogel, Jennifer Barnhart and Marty Robinson

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
I got to catch the latter half of this and it was absolutely amazing! Not at all what I was expecting, but exactly the thing I needed right now. This was extremely inspiring and I learned a lot. I even did some of the puppeteering exercises along with them in front of a mirror, albeit, with a bare hand and no puppets. But hey, you gotta make the most of what you have.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I honestly was expecting something like BTF, I didn't know we were actually going to be treated to an actual virtual workshop, and I have to say, I was literally copying every exercize as I was watching (and trying to type one-handed at the same time).

I kind of felt for those volunteers though, you could tell a lot of them were really nervous, but I will admit, Marty was really throwing me off during that last exercize as he got faster and faster!

And it's so eerie how similar that last bit with "Sing" is to what I've been trying to put together and coordinate for a bunch of us YouTube puppeteers to celebrate Season 50 - even the choreography was very similar.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
My favorite parts were the behind the scenes footage we've never seen before, the blooper with Big Bird and the improvised scene with Telly, the Count and Mr. Johnson.

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
Originally I thought Ernie or Peter Linz was going to be there. Due to the ad show Ernie.

I enjoyed it plus it’s going to help me with a puppeteering shoot.

Buff Beaker

Reaction score
Can I just say how awesome Marty Robinson and Matt Vogel and Jen Barnhart are ! That was such a great video. Marty and Matt are such great performers and awesome people!

cjd874

Reaction score
Last month I added this to my "Saved" list on Facebook, but didn't watch it until last night. I was blown away by this workshop! I loved seeing Marty, Jen, and Matt fielding questions, talking about Jim Henson's work, and instructing the young puppeteers. I would have liked to have seen more stuff with the live-hand puppets, but Marty's demonstration was brilliant anyhow.

Schfifty

Reaction score
I just got to watching this as well. I had forgotten to see it when it originally happened, sorry to say, but this was so cool! I went ahead and practiced with one of my puppets along with their exercises, and the tips they had were very useful (especially the breathing and walking ones). I was a little disappointed they didn't use the monsters on the back table, but this was an awesome video, and having never been to a puppet workshop, I appreciate them doing this.

Also, I loooved when Jen took Zoe out near the beginning and showed the emotions, and Matt and Marty bringing out their characters!

Jinx

Reaction score
I just returned from the 2019 "Beyond the Sock" workshop with Peter Linz and Noel MacNeal. It's like a four-day (obviously much expanded") version of this, plus puppet building with Project Puppet. If you want to really get the real training, this is the workshop for you!

While practicing along with this particular video is a terrific idea, you actually do yourself a disservice to do so in a mirror. You really need to do it with a camera and a normal/scan monitor.