Very basic question: Drinking?

Redsonga

Reaction score
How is the effect of a muppet drinking from a straw done?:excited: I just was wondering and couldn't find any info...

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I'm not sure, but I did something once where a puppet drank water from a glass. The glass was a special prop that was clear, with a coloured rim. There wasn't any actual liquid in the glass, but the glass itself had two layers of glass and water in between. To the audience it looked like a normal glass of water, but when you "poured" it the liquid just collected in the top of the glass.

ploobis

Reaction score
I'm not sure, but I did something once where a puppet drank water from a glass. The glass was a special prop that was clear, with a coloured rim. There wasn't any actual liquid in the glass, but the glass itself had two layers of glass and water in between. To the audience it looked like a normal glass of water, but when you "poured" it the liquid just collected in the top of the glass.
I've seen those kind of glasses. They look like they make great puppet props!

I too have wondered about Muppets drinking straws. Like Kermit said on the Juliet Prowes episode of TMS while sipping milk out of a straw "Think about this, Friends" :smile:

Teenager's

Reaction score
I rigged this up for a commercial for my Puppetry Club in high school a few years ago. We used real milk.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qq1OzA6WAYA&feature=channel_page

it's pretty simple. If you've ever cleaned/drained a fish tank with a fish in it, it's similar to that. The cup had a hole drilled in the bottom and a plastic tube (from Lowes) was glued into the bottom inside the hole (Important: make sure the tube is a tight fit into the hole) When liquids are poured into the cup hold one end of the tube up in the air (basically "kinking" the tube but not actually bending it. And to make the the liquid drain point the opposite side of the tube down into another container and it will look like the puppet is drinking.

--Our set/table was also nearly 6 feet off the ground so we had plenty of room......You're working with gravity for this trick.

Also the bigger the hole/tube, the faster it will drain.

Teenager's

Reaction score
Oh. Also, our table had a hole in it for the tube to pass through.