Sesame Street Special - "A Swingin’ Sesame Street Celebration" with Wynton Marsalis on PBS Friday October 30, 2020

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Special - A Swingin’ Sesame Street Celebration
PBS Premiere: Friday October 30, 2020

This Friday. don't miss a national broadcast of one of the best events of Sesame Street's 50th anniversary, "A Swingin’ Sesame Street Celebration" will premiere on Friday October 30 exclusively on PBS at 9|8 central. After tonight the special will also be available on the PBS Passport app on demand. Check local listings for times when the special will reair in your area.

Digital Soundtrack

An official 13-song digital soundtrack also released today. Hear previews and download this incredible soundtrack album.

If you saw "A Swingin’ Sesame Street Celebration", please like this post and share your thoughts below.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
They cut out exactly what I thought they would. Still a great show overall.

Does anyone have that 2000 Boston Pops show? I can't believe that hasn't tuned up online anywhere yet.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
It was cool to see how they incorporated different performances of the concert into this special. I'm still impressed with Ryan's high notes while singing.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I missed the television broadcast, though I did download the album. It was awesome.

I was surprised by Herry on the album. When listening to One of These Things, I was wondering who he was, thinking the voice sounded familiar, my first guess was that it was Rudy (as I hadn’t heard much of him), but felt that wasn’t right. This might be the first time I tried to determine who a recast voice was on an album (and I had heard Peter Linz’s Herry).

As much as I like the classics, I wonder if they should have done some of the newer songs as well. Such as What I Am, Elmo’s Ducks, I Love My Hair, Because We’re Friends, and This is My Street.

So what was cut from the special broadcast? Last I checked, Muppet Wiki didn’t mention what songs were cut (probably the same that were left off the album, but anything else?).

Oscarfan

Reaction score
So what was cut from the special broadcast? Last I checked, Muppet Wiki didn’t mention what songs were cut (probably the same that were left off the album, but anything else?).
The song left off the album were cut. The first round of "Three of These Things" was cut too. There was a music-less interlude with Grover and Ernie somewhere that was also cut.

You can watch the unedited concert on YT right now:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I saw the special last night. It was awesome,

for some reason, I was expecting the performers to all be hiding behind something on stage, as opposed to being in audience view (even if in all black for the most part).

There have been times when Bert was embarrassed to be seen naked in the tub (Ernie and Bert’s Sing-Along) or in a towel (Elmo in Grouchland), it seems odd for Ernie to be embarrassed to have a towel wrapped around him, I’d think he’d be more comfortable (or not know to be ashamed). It could be refreshing, except Bert is also ashamed of Ernie’s mistake.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
I saw the special last night. It was awesome,

for some reason, I was expecting the performers to all be hiding behind something on stage, as opposed to being in audience view (even if in all black for the most part).

There have been times when Bert was embarrassed to be seen naked in the tub (Ernie and Bert’s Sing-Along) or in a towel (Elmo in Grouchland), it seems odd for Ernie to be embarrassed to have a towel wrapped around him, I’d think he’d be more comfortable (or not know to be ashamed). It could be refreshing, except Bert is also ashamed of Ernie’s mistake.
Seems really neat. Why weren't we told sooner about this? Just curious.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I just saw that various clips from this are available as music videos on iTunes. Haven’t downloaded any yet, I wonder if they make up the whole special if all get ordered. Seems the special itself is not available.