Three Yurpean Muppet Freaks Take London

Joggy

Reaction score
It's amazing that it's been two weeks since Thijs, Warrick and I had our own little two day "picnic" and I haven't even written the report yet! Oh well, here goes.

When I met my fellow Dutch Muppet fan Thijs for the first time, he mentioned that he really wanted to meet Warrick, with whom he works on the Sesame Street Encyclopedia. I told him I met Warrick in London during EuroMup 2001, and that's when the idea started to take a trip to London together and visit Warrick again.
We decided to go on a Monday since Warrick works in the weekends, and leave on Wednesday night.

After a long busdrive with a driver who sounded like Doc ("You're not supposed to bring food on the bus, Sprocket!") and exploring the hotel and the Italian jazz restaurant, it was time to get some sleep and wake up in time for Warrick.
We woke up way too early, had a ridiculously disgusting breakfast, and went to the Charlie Chaplin statue at Leicester Square - the EuroMup 2001 meeting place.
Warrick arrived in time and lo and behold - HE SPOKE! And HE SPOKE A LOT! He was so quiet during EuroMup but here he was, chatting with us as if we'd known eachother from childhood.

The first thing Warrick did, was showing us some of the good Muppety shops. I bought the Swedish Chef exclusive figure with the lobsters, Thijs settled for the EB Games Piggy and the MFS video. In another store, the Collectors' Nightmare happened: there were three rare Sesame PVC's (Rosita, Mumford and Herry) that both Thijs and Warrick really REALLY wanted to have! Warrick eventually 'allowed' Thijs to buy the Herry figure, and bought the other two himself.
(The next day, we went back to one comic store where I bought the Muppet card game, Thijs bought some photos, and Warrick bought the tin lunchbox with the really ugly poser Kermit).
Some days earlier, Warrick had asked Karen Falk about Muppety locations in London and he had a whole plan for the afternoon. We saw the Happiness Hotel (it doesn't look that crappy anymore, but it's the same building!), the big English house inhabited by John Cleese in the movie (the real street name is not Highbrow Street tho), and Lady Holiday's
office (the outside - we've also been in the street where Gonzo "stops a taxi"). After that, we went to Green Park and brought out our puppets for a few minutes, until it was time to leave. Warrick, who's a very good puppeteer, performed his character Mervil and I had Nergil with me. After a while I let Thijs have a go with Nergil while I performed my sock! (title of the show: Don't Talk So Loud, Or You Might Accidentally Entertain Someone)
We said goodbye for the day. Thijs and I went off to the Italian Jazz restaurant. Warrick went off to find a toilet.

The next day we met Warrick again, and it was time for a little EuroMup deja-vu: the Creature Shop. This time, we tried to get inside the building. You would have cracked up at seeing the three of us standing in front of the door and being too terrified to ring the doorbell! When a man approached the door, Warrick asked if we could take a look inside.
The man said he couldn't do it, but he did give us the phone number which I dialed. Sadly, the lady told me they didn't allow people in. Oh well, it was a fun adventure anyway.
Next, Warrick brought us to Hampstead Heath, a beautiful park, which is where Don Sahlin's bench is. You know the one, where the name "doozer" was invented. It also has Jim's name inscripted in it, so we referred to it as "Jim's Bench". I think this was one of the most special things we did. The walk to that bench was so beautiful, walking through nature with nothing but hills and the cloudy sunny sky... and then sitting on the bench Jim and Don have sat on, enjoying a good view over London. Little white seeds flew around in the sunlight like small furry creatures. It had something extremely magical and lovely. We brought out the puppets again (this time Warrick brought two) and did some puppeteering.
Our next plan was to see Jim Henson's house from the TMS days, which was nearby, but during our walk back Warrick remembered he still had his video camera with him. So we spent the next hour doing crazy things with the puppets in front of the camera. Warrick even climbed way up in a tree to perform his puppets there!! The best scene was "The Rhyming Song" sung by the three of us.
The last part of Warrick's tour was indeed Henson's House. Sadly, we did not know the house number. Well, at least we MUST have seen the house while walking up and down the street...

After the tour it was time for dinner. Warrick joined us in the Italian Jazz Restaurant this time. Then we said goodbye. Thijs and I got on the bus and had an extremely uncomfortable night, trying to sleep in those ridiculously small chairs. Life as a Muppet fan is hard…

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Joggy, sounds like you guys had a wonderful time. It's always special when Muppet fan get together. Thanks for giving us a rundown.

And of course you already HAD all three of the PVC's right. :wink:

Muppetsdownunder

Reaction score
That sounds like an amazing, fun, funny, and crazy couple of days. That is something that I really would love to do one day, arrange a tour with other muppet fans of all the shops, and attractions related to the muppets of course.

It would be nice to have a get together with all the Australian muppet fans, I have said this so many times but there arent any good attractions here, maybe a few shops so we would have to go on an overseas tour! what a dream! :excited: :smile:

just out of curiosity, what is EuroMup 2001.

from,
Paul :excited:

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Jog,

Thanks for typing this story, 'Cause im too lazy :cool:

We had a great time, Especially with the Puppets!

see ya

Joggy

Reaction score
Phillip Chapman said:
And of course you already HAD all three of the PVC's right. :wink:
Actually, I didn't have the Rosita. But, Warrick had been looking for that particular PVC for quite a while... and besides, he gave me his Two-Headed Monster once. :smile:

Joggy

Reaction score
drspy00 said:
just out of curiosity, what is EuroMup 2001.
EuroMup 2001 was our first London gettogether weekend with seven Muppet fans. Julia and I came over to meet Mar and Mike, Jamie Badminton, Emma (Saturday) and Warrick (Sunday). We did some London sightseeing mostly, and a LOT of coffee drinking. And of course our first interaction with the Creature Shop.

I think the photos are still online at:

http://www.michaeljdixon.com/euromup/euromup.html

Thijs

Reaction score
Haha, brings back those fresh and funny memories:big_grin:

Oh man, to convince that Doc-soundalike busdriver that my muffins were NOT warm food, but muffins!

We had a wonderful time. We saw great muppety things, bought some terrific muppety things (I still hope to find a new Herry for Warrick), I will never forget that delicious restaurant (and the waitress!!! if you read this, mail me!!! :flirt:) and I had my first puppetry experience!

The bench was one of the best places I have ever been, maybe the best.

Muppetsdownunder

Reaction score
Tommie said:
Haha, brings back those fresh and funny memories:big_grin:

Oh man, to convince that Doc-soundalike busdriver that my muffins were NOT warm food, but muffins!
That also reminds me when I came to England in 1994 I was only about 9 but I still remember many difficult bus drivers, some very rude and hard to get along with and arogant. Especially when it comes to bringing food items on the bus. :smile:

:excited:

Muppetsdownunder

Reaction score
Are there any photos at all of your get together 2 weeks ago with Warwick? I would love to see some and im sure many other people would too.

I am looking at the EuroMup photos, they are great, Its amazxing how different people look to how you imagine them, I imagined Warwick to be much older for some reason.

The muppetfest photos, I had the same shock when I saw certain people, lol.

:excited: