Thoughts on Deep Dish Nine?

Princeton

Reaction score
Deep Dish Nine (a sketch series on Muppets Tonight!) has been eluded to several times at MC over the years, but I felt it was time to update the subject. I was only eight years old when MT! debuted, so I can barely recall any of it (plus, my mom thought it was stupid and didn't like me watching it). But through the miracle that is YouTube, I have managed to see a few of them (in fact I think I posted a link to one in my Crainiac appreciation thread). It was pretty gutsy to do an updated Pigs In Space, so the whole concept is pretty admirable. Granted, the end result wasn't great, but it wasn't exactly terrible either, you know? Anyway, I enjoyed them a good bit and I wanted to hear your thoughts.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I didn't think it was very good. The only character in that sketch that I liked was Craniac, the one non-pig character. Then again, I don't care too much for Muppet pigs. But they should have tried to work Dr. Strangepork into the sketch (he did appear in one Bay of Pigswatch segment). There were only three segments, all from episodes initially produced for the first season, so I guess it was droped by the second season.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Me thoughts are...

...I wouldn't mind a deep dish pizza right now...

Bea:zany:{I've only seen one episode, I can't really comment...}regard

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I liked the possibilities of PIS: DD9 but nothing seemed distinct about it. The joke was all in the title sequence but little fun came after it. The original PIS was about the character performances, but these guys didn't relate to the audience yet. They might as all been wearing the infamous red uniforms.

Link and Strangepork not being represented in any way was a terrible choice. It was also obvious Piggy was being performed by someone else. The whole sketch was jarring and uncomfortable to me. Didn't Star Trek's Deep Space 9 have a cantina helmed by Whoopi Goldberg (strangely enough)? I remember something like that. They should have had Link and Strangepork sipping drinks there while their shipmates and First Mate Piggy wrestled with bigger issues. That would have been a fun sketch! :mad:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Took the words out of my mouth. It falls under the "that was cute... just don't ever do it again, okaY?" category. I liked how we had a Klingon-esque pig thingy... but all the humor fell onto the new pig characters, and those were the least endearing of the new characters, I feel. Not that Leslie's Spamala wasn't well performed, but it was such a flat character Seems like they could have done something with the character, but didn't evolve her beyond "Ditzy parody of Pam Anderson."

That said, same problem I had with the Bay Of Pigswatch skit. As a one time only parody, it would have worked... as a recurring skit? there just isn't enough to work with.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Actually, Whoopie ran Ten Forward (catena) in Next Generation, where her name was Guinan and she wore remarkable hats.

peyjenk

Reaction score
After reading this thread, I searched for DD:9 on Youtube and watched one skit. It made me very sad, because it wasn't funny at all! I gave one feeble laugh at one joke (don't remember which, sorry) but that doesn't cut it for me. I agree with what's already been said here... it was more or less a shell of a joke that could have been a lot more than it iwas.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Maybe it would have been better if Deep Dish 9 took place at other area sbesides the space ship, to give it a contrast to the original Pigs in Space, which rarely took place out of the swinetrek.