The "You know what?" thread

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Here's a commercial I saw when I was a kid, for Ace Treasure Trolls, which had jewels in their bellies and I think were supposed to be toys to wish on. The commercial made me think so (for a long time I thought they were called Wishing Trolls).

1992 Ace Treasure Trolls Commercial - YouTube

I had some when I was a kid, and was confused when I did not get my wishes granted (I expected my wishes to magically come true immediately).

But it's not until now that I realize something about the commercial: None of the kids are actually shown getting their wishes. The girl who wishes her violin was an electric guitar just plays with it as if it was one, the boy who wishes his jungle gym was really a jungle is just imagining he's in a jungle, and the girl who wishes training wheels were better trainers is still shown in grief. I wonder if this was done on purpose (implying they grant wishes without actually showing kids getting the wishes).

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I've heard that the reason The Simpson's arcade game was never released on a home console (well, it was released on some computers, does that count as consoles?) was because a different company held the home console rights to Simpson's games.

The Simpson's arcade is well-regarded and considered a classic, while the majority of Simpson's games are considered bad (well, there are a few I like well enough).

Could it be that the company behind the arcade game was better at making Simpson's games and perhaps should have held the license to all Simpson's games?

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
actually, it was released on home consoles a while back, though it was pulled for whatever reason very soon afterwards. They also recently released a small scale replica home cabinet that combines the arcade game with simpsons bowling, though i havent heard good things about it. I think in this case it's not really so much two companies holding different rights but rather Konami, the company that made the game, being Konami and not wanting to release it for whatever reason. Konami just sucks.

at the time, konami was very well known for their arcade games, so it's probably more that konami knew how to make a good arcade game. you could really replace the simpsons theme with anything and still have a good game. I think in reality they just need to keep EA away from the simpsons lol.

I tell you what tho I would die for a re-release of Hit and Run.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
This is the first I heard of the small arcade replica. I’d seen there was one for Ninja Turtles and thought there should be one for the Simpson’s (though the Turtles one is just three of the levels).

minor muppetz

Reaction score
In the second Simpson's Halloween episode, the segments are the nightmares of Lisa, Bart, and Homer, but all three could have just as well have been Homer's nightmares.

Lisa's nightmare seems more like Homer is the star. He's the one to buy the monkey paw, he's featured the most, he ends the segment, and the effects of Lisa's wish are given just as much focus as Bart's.

Bart's nightmare involves him having magical abilities, which always works for him. He turns Homer into a Jack in the box for most of the story, which would make it Homer's nightmare. The only thing to make it a nightmare for Bart is the end, where Homer and Bart get along following Bart turning Homer back to normal.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
When it comes to adult cartoons on the networks (not cable channels), Fox seems to do the most successful, while ABC, CBS, and NBC all seem to avoid adult cartoons.

Of course, once The Simpson’s began, ABC and CBS tried their hands at prime time cartoons and those failed. CBS tried Fish Police and Family Dog (which I saw when it was on the air), while ABC did Capitol Critters and the first season of The Critic (which was slightly successful, considering it got a second season… on Fox).

Yet Fox did not hop on the band wagon and do a new prime time cartoon (they already had The Simpson’s, but they could have tried a second adult cartoon sooner) for about six years with the second season of The Critic, and then it was seven or eight years before they did another successful long running prime time cartoon with King of the Hill.

After the success of South Park, many adult cartoons started to premier, especially around 1999, I guess this was the start of when Fox was really getting into more adult animation. But then with this era, most of the shows were on Fox, The WB, or UPN. The only adult cartoon since to come to any of the original “big three” networks is Clerks, which ABC mistreated.

Flaky Pudding

Reaction score
The animation style of Tuca and Bertie reminds me a bit of the Sally Cruikshank cartoons from SS. A more modern take on her style, I guess.