The Worst Day of 1990

Sprocket77

Reaction score
This is my first shot at writing what people call "fanfics." And, because I'm a novice, don't expect this to be amazingly good. :embarrassed: Okay, so here goes.

On a really early morning, Kermit was sitting down on a couch alone. He had heard about his friend Jim's death...all the while he was weeping, and didn't even care for a sip of coffee. One of the other early risers of all Muppets was Harry the Hipster, a kind friend to Kermit. Hearing the crying from downstairs, he ran over to Kermit.
"What's wrong, Kermit?" said Harry. "Oh, nothing." cried Kermit. Harry knew something was wrong. "Kermit, something's wrong...I can just tell it. Please tell me why you aren't acting like your normal self." Kermit, sobbing, tried to keep a straight face. "It's just...just...my friend Jim..."
Kermit stopped talking.
"Yes, go on."
"My friend...Jim...my friend Jim Henson...he, he DIED." Kermit burst out in tears. Harry replied, "Now, now calm down, Kermit. Maybe some smooth jazz could calm you down."
"No! No it won't! You don't understand!" Kermit ran off. A few hours later, Kermit was gone. Everyone was worried. "Hey, Harry, do you know where Kermit is?" Gonzo asked.
"He's sad about his best friend. The name was Jim Henson, and Kermit says that he died."
"Oh...isn't there any way to cheer him up?" said Gonzo.
"I don't know," said Harry. "He's been in his room for hours."
"Well, let's go check on him, alright?"
Gonzo and Harry the Hipster went over to Kermit's door and lightly knocked on the door. No answer. They knocked again. No answer. After a few minutes, Kermit opened up. "Wh...what is it you guys!?"
"We just came by to try to cheer you up." Harry exclaimed.
"I don't know if you can cheer me up...Jim was the greatest friend I ever had, and now he's dead! I remember first meeting him in Washington, D.C. I was just a young frog." He picked up an old photo of him and a young Jim.
"I remember those days." Harry said, bowing his head down. To be continued.

So, what do you think of this? It isn't that good to me. :stick_out_tongue:

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Very nice, I hope you continue to write more for this story. It almost made me shed a tear. I hate to see Kermit so sad, I just want to hold him and tell him everything will be ok. Wow I sound like a girl!

Sprocket77

Reaction score
Anyways, to continue the story...

After some silence, Kermit went insane and threw the picture at the wall and ran back downstairs.
Gonzo said, "This doesn't seem right."
"Yeah I think I agree." stated Harry. They were both worried about Kermit. It was almost if the frog were in a state of depression.
They went downstairs, spying on Kermit. What they saw was Kermit lying on the couch with a pillow, face up. Kermit then started banging his head against the pillow. Harry ran up to Kermit in a panic.
"Kermit, Kermit, calm down, calm down!"
Kermit was breathing loudly. "I'm sorry Harry," he said. "It's just I can't take this. Jim was an amazing friend. We were almost like roommates or brothers."
Harry then stated, "I know, I know. But...wipe up those tears. Uh, here."
Harry grabbed some tissues and gave them to Kermit. "Now, Kermit. Maybe you should grab a blanket and take a little rest. Maybe the TV can help you get your mind off the death."
"I'll try." Kermit replied.
However, as he flipped through channels, there were many news reports on Jim Henson dying. Kermit couldn't stand this. He turned off the power.
However, it turned out Kermit was not the only one to weep about this tragic moment. Floyd Pepper's voice was heard.
"Rowlf! Teeth! You're both cryin' again."
"We're not crying," Rowlf exclaimed, "It's just, uh, the Swedish Chef's onions are hurting our eyes."
The Chef replied, "Boot I dun't ifee hefe-a ooneeuns!"
"I doubt that, Rowlf, I don't see a bit of onions. Something must be wrong." Just then, Kermit walked in to the kitchen with Gonzo and Harry. Everyone ran over him mainly due to his disappearance.
"Get off me guys!" Kermit had stopped crying, almost like a random miracle. "Now, I heard some crying up here. Who's doing it and why is that?"
Rowlf then showed his face. It had looked like he finished a long sob. "Well, Kermit...one of my best friends named Jim Henson died. AUGH! First my friend Don, now Jim! Why, oh why?"
"I know how you feel, Rowlf." said Kermit, patting Rowlf.
"Y-you do?"
"Yes. Jim was my best friend too. But...even though he is dead...we should move on. We need to keep up on our TV appearances and such. That's how Jim would like it. We should stop crying at this depressing state and...move right along."
A tiny tear rolled down Kermit's face.
"Anyways, if we have a funeral, we should probably go on a small hiatus to get our minds off this."
Kermit started crying a bit, and Harry gave him another tissue. And so, Kermit and the gang then planned a tribute for their best friend Jim. Not only were the Muppets sad, but all the Fraggles, Gorgs, and Doozers from Fraggle Rock were in tears. Big Bird and lots of other people from Sesame Street were sad. (Even Oscar was sad, but he tried not to show his sadness.) Everyone didn't like this news.
After the tribute, they moved on. They still miss Jim, but they're not so weepy anymore. Kermit and the gang continue to do their movies and TV shows. Kermit states, "That's how the boss would love it."

Sprocket77

Reaction score
Anyhow, the next fanfiction I'm planning will be more comedy-driven. The working title is "The Henson Family Christmas"

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I really enjoyed your story, but I will be honest and say that the ending seemed kind of rushed. You put Kermit, Dr.Theeth, and Rowlf in a very dark place, and for the story to have more meaning, and impact they needed to slowly get out of the darkness they where in. Kind of show the healing process, and show how they grow from there pain.

It would have also been interesting to see what kind of memorial they would have thrown. I think it would have been a combination, of Jim's real memorial, and the Muppets celebrate Jim Henson.

Those are just some thought, take them for what they are. Great first story!

Sprocket77

Reaction score
I really enjoyed your story, but I will be honest and say that the ending seemed kind of rushed. You put Kermit, Dr.Theeth, and Rowlf in a very dark place, and for the story to have more meaning, and impact they needed to slowly get out of the darkness they where in. Kind of show the healing process, and show how they grow from there pain.

It would have also been interesting to see what kind of memorial they would have thrown. I think it would have been a combination, of Jim's real memorial, and the Muppets celebrate Jim Henson.

Those are just some thought, take them for what they are. Great first story!
Thank you for the criticism...and yeah that ending was rushed. :\ I guess it's because I know how to write comedy more than sad situations. My next fanfiction I'm writing will probably be better.