The non-shiny fleece

Puppetplanet

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:
We will not have non-marital relations going on around here, children! Don't make me turn this thread around and go back home--because I'll DO IT--and you WON'T like it... :attitude:

Oh gosh! I just became my father?!!! :concern: So THAT'S why I've been going bald and getting fatter...

PPpppffffbbttttt <------ my version of a messy raspberry.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Tztz said:
Buck-Beaver , what u have just said remind me a phone conversation which i had with a very talented puppet builder. she told me that antron tend to loose, after a while, its orginal texture.
There is actually a name for this process (most high-pile fabrics go through it). Darned if I can't remember it though.

Oh, and Puppetplanet, do you kiss your hubby with that mouth? :wink:

Puppetplanet

Reaction score
Buck-Beaver said:
...and speaking of things we DIDN'T need to know

Hey, you asked! :stick_out_tongue:

ANYWAY...... what were we talking about? Oh Yeah, shiny antron.

Tztz

Reaction score
i think that the shiny antron issue is closed!

:excited:

Torarin

Reaction score
no it's not. saying it's because of lightning is just... er can I say stupid? :wink: You clearly see on those pictures and on alot of pictures in the works that this is two types of fleece and the texture is totally different. The new and old theory can't be right either. I've seen muppets that are over 10 years old and the antron is still shiny. I've also spoke with a builder saying it's another type of fleece. The question is which

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Torarin said:
no it's not. saying it's because of lightning is just... er can I say stupid
Actually Torarin, it's not "stupid" :mad: - it's actually true (though not necessarily the explanation for the two photos).

The appearance of fleece does change over time depending on how the puppet is cared for, how frequently it is used and how it is stored. Lighting and how the puppet is photograph also can very much affect how it appears. I have done photos of antron fleece puppets under different lighting conditions and the texture of the fleece appears very different.

That said, no one said with 100% certainty that this was the explanation for the two photos. Foz emailed GA Stage so maybe they can offer a different opinion.

Torarin

Reaction score
actually, I think what you say might be right with the avenueq puppets. They look a bit like antron lighted with the light sources reflected and diffused. but still, you often see puppets on sesame street that for example has non shiny fleece as their skin but their noses and lids are shiny. Or the other way around. I think you missed my point, i'm not saying lightning couldn't make a difference, but seriously, do you really think they would make all their puppets with "shiny" antron and then have to make sure that every single time that puppet was used, it looked non shiny? I'm either for the theory that some kind of diffusing dye is used on it, or simply, there are other good fleeces in the world than antron.