The Muppets Take Manhattan Finale

AAO

Reaction score
The Muppets Take Manhattan is possibly my favorite Muppet Movie. It seemed more realistic. The Muppet Movie was a movie within a movie. Caper went along with them "filming the movie". In this one, the gang didn't do a lot of takes to the audience and stayed true to the story. But, as I've discussed with a few friends of mine before.. the ending of the film could throw a new spin on it.

During the "Somebody's Getting Married" sequence it's all on stage on Broadway. Suddenly when the Bears enter the church we see the Sesame Street gang in the church as well as other Muppet guests. No humans. Now, everything is completely white and you do not hear nor see the audience... Kermit and Piggy appear and march down the aisle together... Piggy has "switched" the roles of Gonzo as the minister for a real one. Now, could this possibly be a "dream" Piggy's having just as she did in the middle of the film with the Muppet babies... but they didn't specify it? Kinda give you a "wonder" after it was over.

Although we do know it's a Broadway musical they're putting on, does it switch to the finale Piggy's seeing in her mind rather than what the audience is seeing in NYC? Just something to think about and toss around in coversation. .. plus, a side note: Look for Statler and Waldorf in the balcony of the theater as the curtains open at the beginning of the musical... my friend pointed them out to me... :big_grin:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Actually I discussed this a couple months ago, here's an interesting clue in the mystery!

http://forum.muppetcentral.com/showthread.php?t=38037

But your dream theory is really interesting too, how suddenly the theater changes and all.

And I also love Muppets Take Manhattan the best; it just had so much heart. And I didn't notice Statler and Waldorf were in the balcony, cool!

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Personally, I don't see it as a dream sequence (no fuzzy border like the first movie). I like to think that the ending is really a recreation of the Broadway wedding, but IRL. After all, you don't see Jenny or anyone else in the wings after the wedding actually starts (though I find it odd that no humans at all would have been invited). I just don't see Uncle Matt being in Piggy's dream. As far as we know, she's never met Fraggles.

The question then becomes, "Why would Kermit act surprised?" Maybe she made a switch during the play version, and (for laughs), they repeat the gag during the real wedding.

muppet baby

Reaction score
wow i am so glad to see this thread , i have wondered the same thing about if it might have been a dream , but as it was said , that piggy got a real mister instad of having Gonzo play the part as that was the first plan LOL.

i really don't think that it it was a dream i think that it was part of the play as the muppets wanted it done but Piggy wanted to make it into a real wedding because she loved kermit so much that she wanted to marry to marry him so bad .LOL

I am so glad that for all of you on this thread right now that it is your faverite muppet film , i watched , when i was a kid at least 3 times a week .

I still watch it a lot even now , and i ok i might get it a lot , rotten food thougn at me for this but , i loved piggy's hair in the movie LOL i mean because it was so funny and really was with the time perid .

I will be honest and say that the end squace was my faverite part of the fim ,that and the part with the construction site where whe worker there was trying :flirt: flirt with her, LOL , and then she was geting mad watching Kermit sorry can not remember her name but the girl that worked at the cafe where the muppets worked .

AAO

Reaction score
wow i am so glad to see this thread , i have wondered the same thing about if it might have been a dream , but as it was said , that piggy got a real mister instad of having Gonzo play the part as that was the first plan LOL.

i really don't think that it it was a dream i think that it was part of the play as the muppets wanted it done but Piggy wanted to make it into a real wedding because she loved kermit so much that she wanted to marry to marry him so bad .LOL

I am so glad that for all of you on this thread right now that it is your faverite muppet film , i watched , when i was a kid at least 3 times a week .

I still watch it a lot even now , and i ok i might get it a lot , rotten food thougn at me for this but , i loved piggy's hair in the movie LOL i mean because it was so funny and really was with the time perid .

I will be honest and say that the end squace was my faverite part of the fim ,that and the part with the construction site where whe worker there was trying :flirt: flirt with her, LOL , and then she was geting mad watching Kermit sorry can not remember her name but the girl that worked at the cafe where the muppets worked .

It is a great movie! Piggy chasing the guy who stole her purse is THE BEST moment in my opinion Piggy wise... It's every emotion possible through her character! The music plays perfect into the scene as well! :mad:

But the whole DREAM theory was to just give everyone a different perspective of it as well. The Uncle Matt deal, I do agree... he wouldn't be in her dream, BUT why would he be in teh real wedding if they never met? Who knows? This is where the Muppets tieing into other muppet projects seem to throw the belief of "Fraggles" etc... Like Fozzie knowing Mokey... it'd be a "outside of work friendship"...

FOZZIE: "Oh yeah, we use to work at the same company. I don't see her much anymore. But on screen I have no idea who or what a fraggle is!" :stick_out_tongue:

But yeah, this movie really gives heart to the muppets.. the saying goodbye song.. Everytime it tugs at my heartstrings as well as when Kermit gets hit by the taxi... PHEW!

wwfpooh

Reaction score
The Uncle Matt deal, I do agree... he wouldn't be in her dream, BUT why would he be in teh real wedding if they never met? Who knows?
Well, this ties into the "What is a Muppet" question and for many, a Muppet is any puppet creation that has had ties to Jim Henson, which would include the cast of Fraggle Rock.

After all, the 1987 Muppet Family Christmas film has the main Fraggle cast--which would include Doc and Sprocket, as well Uncle Matt & the Fraggle Five--as part of the united family (Heck, even Jim himself makes a cameo at the end of the film).

For all we know, the church could've had a Fraggle Hole in it somewhere & the Fraggles were watching the wedding unseen. ^_^