The Muppet Central Forum Awards...Again

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score
I was reading over the thread from the aborted awards last year and thought there were a lot of good ideas that could make the awards more fun and less popularity-contestish.

I was thinking about the suggestions to make it more about the Muppets and Muppeteers (with catagories like 'Favorite Monster', 'Best One-Off Character' and 'Most Underutilized Performer') and combine that with a talent show (i.e. forum members showcasing unique and Muppety talents via embedded YouTube videos).

I'd be more than willing to put it together (with a little help). Anybody game?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I think if it focused more on the Muppets, Muppeteers, other related Henson products and entities, and not so much on the forum and the people, the awards would work better, and there would also be less whining and complaining from people about "popularity contests".

And I guess if you want to put it together, then you might as well go ahead, as the last I heard, both Prawnie and Toga have officially left MC, which kinda sucks, but I guess they were getting a little tired of the occasional high school drama-esque atmosphere that tends to take over the forum from time to time.

Hubert

Reaction score
I think these kind of ideas do have a lot of potential. The only thing that I continue to worry about, as many others have said, is that not many people seem to be up to getting coordinated to do any sort of activity like this. If we can get it to work, I think it would be fantastic.

I know there have been numerous non-forum centric contest ideas rolling around here. I think the idea of doing a more Muppet-centric one would work well. Some members have also suggested doing awards based on Muppety events and merch and stuff that occur throughout the year.

I think that it would be great to see the forum coordinate to do something more Muppety. We are here, after all, to talk about the franchise, and getting back to that core through something like this could be fun.

If this does happen, it would need a lot of careful planning and coordinating to make sure that everything runs smoothly for success. If it is decided to go through with this, I would be happy to help with some aspects of it.

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score
Guess we're going for it Hubert.

I'm going to start putting a ballot together. If anyone has a suggestion for a catagory, feel free to say so.

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score
The Muppet Show and Beyond:
Favorite Lead Muppet
Favorite Secondary Muppet
Favorite Muppet Monster

Best Human in a Muppet Movie
Best Muppet Villain
Best TV Special

Best Original Muppet Song
Best Muppet Song Cover/Parody

Sesame Street:
Favorite Lead Sesame Street Muppet
Favorite Supporting Sesame Street Muppet
Favorite Human Character
Favorite Sesame Street Monster

Best TV Special
Best Sesame Street Original Song
Best Sesame Street Song Cover/Parody

Fraggle Rock:
Favorite Lead Fraggle Rock Character
Favorite Secondary Fraggle Rock Character

Best Fraggle Song

Fantasy Worlds:
Favorite Fantasy World Lead Character
Favorite Fantasy World Supporting Character

Family Worlds:
Favorite Family World Lead Character
Favorite Family World Supporting Character

All media:
Outstanding Achievement in Guest-Starring
Best YouTube Video
Most Underutilized Performer
Most Underutilized Character
Best One-Shot Character
Muppet of the Year

If anyone has any other ideas for categories (especially in the Fantasy and Family Worlds), don't hesitate to speak up.

Slackbot

Reaction score
Awards of this kind would not interest me at all. For me, fandom awards are about the fandom and its participants, not which Muppet/Fraggle/Christmas special/etc is your favorite. We discuss those topics all the time already. I could link to specific threads.

I won't tell you not to go this route, but if you do, I'm out. Just my two cents' worth.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Awards of this kind would not interest me at all. For me, fandom awards are about the fandom and its participants, not which Muppet/Fraggle/Christmas special/etc is your favorite. We discuss those topics all the time already. I could link to specific threads.

I won't tell you not to go this route, but if you do, I'm out. Just my two cents' worth.
You go that route, people complain. You don't, people complain. You can't win.

Just look at how few people have posted since the thread was started. No one cares about the awards anymore. I know people want to bring the forum back to its so called glory days, but that just isn't gonna happen. Once you evolve past a point, there's no regressing back. I really do hate to be that person, but really, I see no chance this is going to work.

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score
Given the lack of support so far, I'm close to declaring it a lost cause anyway.

Only reason I was going this route is because going the fandom route is what killed it last year (or maybe it was just me being involved (not the first time it's happened)). Though, if it'd generate more interest, I'd be more than glad to go back to that.

Edit: Sarge ziffled me.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Nah, what killed it last year was lack of interest. Another big problem is that there just aren't that many people active. You see the same ten people everywhere, despite the forum having so many members. A lot of people just stick to the puppetry section and don't dare journey out to other parts of the forum.

With so few people active to begin with, you aren't going to generate the interest that it had years ago

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score
In that case, I have a tendency to gravitate towards things just as people stop caring. :sigh: