The Muppaphone

Yva Minstrel

Reaction score
I didn't know what to call this thread, but I wanted to ask those of you who have seen the season 3 DVDs what you thought of those poor little orange and pink muppets that the Italian sounding guy is always whacking. Every time I watch them I want to take them in my hand and cuddle them. Sort of like what Leslie Ann Warren did. That would have been my reaction, too.

It may seem weird, but that's just so mean to hit those poor little guys. Every time he would do it, they would say 'ouch', and I would (literally) cringe.

Is it just me who reacts like that. They are so cuddly and cute looking with nothing but fur, mouths, and eyes. :wink:

I think I prefer the flying Zucchini brothers to that guy anyway.

Baby Gonzo

Reaction score
You mean Marvin Suggs. It is mean of him and I feel sorry for the Muppaphone, but then again, puppetry violence isn't anything new. Punch and Judy, anyone?

I love how Marvin gets what's coming to him in the Witch Doctor sketch.

And it's strange how he seems to be alot nicer to vegetables than the Muppaphone.

AnimatedC9000

Reaction score
At least you guys don't have to live with him. Every day, he talks about how great he is. *imitating said man* "Oh, Marvin, you are so talented!"

Marvin: *bowing* T'ank you! T'ank you, and t'ank you!

See what I mean? And one day, he used the rest of us for practice 'cuz the Muppaphones were hiding... Not a good experience. X_X

RedPiggy

Reaction score
I, too, get to the point where I'd like to see Suggs get his for mistreating the Muppaphones.

However, we really don't know what the Muppaphones are like outside the sketches either, do we? Maybe Suggs had bad nightmares about The Trouble with Tribbles and now takes it out on them... :big_grin:

Yva Minstrel

Reaction score
Maybe Suggs had bad nightmares about The Trouble with Tribbles and now takes it out on them...
Now that's scary, someone like Captain Kirk talking with an Italian accent.

Of course I want to bop Suggs on the head a few times myself, and then get my Chemist hubby to help me invent a headache cure for the poor muppaphone. :smile: I still think they are so cute. They remind me of those little pom-poms I used to have on the back of my socks. :big_grin:

Thanks for posting the url to the wikipedia site, Katzi428.

Redsonga

Reaction score
I, too, get to the point where I'd like to see Suggs get his for mistreating the Muppaphones.

However, we really don't know what the Muppaphones are like outside the sketches either, do we? Maybe Suggs had bad nightmares about The Trouble with Tribbles and now takes it out on them... :big_grin:
No matter how they are, I don't think it is right to beat them to death:cry:. Poor little things...I'm ready to call the pet police on him :mad:

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
You know... After watching a Monty Python movie or special on HBO a couple of years back that was basically segwaying through a number of segments... It makes me think that Marvin was based on a Monty Python character who did the same thing, except this guy pounded mice/rats caught in mousetraps, until the crowd rushed the stage trying to free the animals.

And in that Witch Doctor song, Virginia had just finished doing her nails and a Richard-voiced Muppaphone was late cause he was trying to get a parking spot.

*Small laugh.

And there's another one where a large Muppaphone ended the number by banging Marvin with an oversized mallet to the rest of the Muppaphones' joy.

Yva Minstrel

Reaction score
It makes me think that Marvin was based on a Monty Python character who did the same thing, except this guy pounded mice/rats caught in mousetraps, until the crowd rushed the stage trying to free the animals.
Was this a Monty Python movie, or was it from the show? I have all the episodes of 'Flying Circus' somewhere, but don't remember having seen that. Of course, I always thought John Cleese was doing a take off of the Parrot Sketch when he was on TMS, during the 'Pigs in Space' bit. ('How'd you like to be an ex-parrot?') To me that simply screamed Monty Python.

And in that Witch Doctor song, Virginia had just finished doing her nails and a Richard-voiced Muppaphone was late cause he was trying to get a parking spot.
Which season was that one? I have up to season 3.

And there's another one where a large Muppaphone ended the number by banging Marvin with an oversized mallet to the rest of the Muppaphones' joy.
Hahaha, I love it! Yes, that is indeed a wonderful thing to see. I hope that I can see it soon. Anyone know if that bit's on You Tube? It would be a favorite of mine if so. Hehehe.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Yva... It was a movie/special aired on HBO, don't remember the title. The Witch Doctor song is from the Gilda Radner TMS episode, Season 3.