The Doctor Who Thread

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score
I couldn't find another thread like this, so I figured I'd start one.

Are there any other Doctor Who fans here, or is the fact that there isn't one a sign that I'm alone on that front?

If so...um...standard questions, I guess? Favorite Doctor? Companion? Era? Quote? Serial/Episode? Alien/Monster? Old or New? All that jazz.

If not, disregard everything this madman has written! HE'S CRAZY! :eek:

newsmanfan

Reaction score
------------------------------------------------
Doctor: Pertwee. (Although I have to admit a love of Tennant, and hey, Eccleston was kick-butt.
Companions: Sarah Jane (still mourning), the Brigadier (ditto), and Harry...though Rose was actually a well-thought-out character.
Era: hmmm...much as I love the old $2.99 sets and monsters, I have to go with the new eps (though I haven't yet seen Matt!)
Alien: DALEKS. Duh!
Have to think about the rest... but yay! for this thread. : >)

KermieBaby47

Reaction score
I second your "Yay", and raise you a "woo-hoo"! :smile: I absolutely LOVE DW, classic and new, and I don't think I'll ever get enough of the good Doctor. Really excited to start my Big Finish collection soon with the new adventures of Tom, YEAH!!!

So, that answers your 'favorite doc' question (though Jon and David are 2nd & 3rd, love 'em), what's next... the sad question. Sarah Jane of course (oh Lis), followed by Harry, Romana I, the Brig & Benton, Jo, Leela, Rose, Wilf & Donna, Martha, and who could forget K-9? :big_grin:

Classic era, as you can probably tell from above, ha, but I can't pinpoint a single 'top' favorite serial. I guess if I had to, it would be "Genesis", add to that "Robots of Death", "Deadly Assassin", "Brain of Morbius", both "Peladon" stories, "Invasion of the Dinosaurs", "3 Doctors", "Terror of the Zygons", plus the entire "Key to Time" series, I love me some Mary Tamm. :big_grin:

I'm only as far as "The Invisible Enemy" right now (though I've seen several 'Romana' shows a'course), so that's just a 'so far' list, heh. As for the new series, "School Reunion", and "Journey's End" I love, must be the return of Davros mixed with all those companions, awesome!

Aliens and monsters: Daleks, Cybermen, Sontarans, Zygons, Aggedor, Davros, The Master, the Robots (of Death), Omega, can't think of them all! Lol, typing on my wife's Touch, more to come! Cheers, and great thread!
:smile:
Anthony

Favorite baddies: Daleks, Cybermen, Sontarans, Zygons, Autons, and Davros and The Master! Really love Aggedor as a creature too.

My favorite quote is when the Doctor asks Romana what she'd like to be called instead of her way too long name, and she tells him "Fred". Then the Doctor says something like, "let's go Romana". Lol, it gets me every time!

There's lots more to say, but I'm typing this on my wife's iPod Touch, and it's taken me forEVER to get this much, so I'll leave it for another time. Cheers!
Anthony

KermieBaby47

Reaction score
Lol, had some problems editing last night, looks like I repeated myself! :stick_out_tongue:

newsmanfan

Reaction score
To add: favorite quote...anything involving "reversing the polarity of the neutron flow" (I think Pertwee musta said that at LEAST once an ep, and I was delighted when the new guys revived it)!
Runner up is a new one, and it's barely a quote: Donna Noble, upon seeing the Doc across the room in "Partners In Crime": "Oh...my...G-D!" That entire pantomine sequence had me in hysterics repeatedly. I also have to add Donna to the Fave Companions list. OI Spaceman!

----------------------------------------------------

newsmanfan

Reaction score
----------------------------------------------------------
Anyone else think Paul McGann wasn't given a fair shake? The DWTVM was sooooo bad...but he was wonderful. I've heard a couple of his Big Finish adventures now, and he's good, a believable Doctor.

Which reminds me: anyone else know of Mysterious Theatre 337? They're a Mystery Science Theatre knockoff (no relation to anyone in that show), but they ONLY riff on Doctor Who! I've read their blow-by-blow script for McGann's TV movie and it is hysterical. They've riffed a number of classic eps, too.
http://www.shillpages.com/mt337/index2.php?pz=mtnews2

Great stuff, for any of you other Whovians!

---------------------------------------------------------------

beakerboy12

Reaction score
Favorite Doctor... David Tennant. He's whimsical, funny, but still straight-forward!

Companion.... Donna Noble. Mostly because I love the actress, I've seen a few of her stuff from her sketch comedy show and she is hilarious! The actress, Catherine Tate, is very diverse too. She can really be so dramatic in Doctor Who, she's a great actress. Now, I must mention my second favorite, the current, Amy Pond! She is really a nice sidekick to the Doctor! I just love this companion too!

Era... 2005-present. Because it's, truthfully, the only era I've seen of the show...

Quote... Simple. "Allons-y Alonso!"

Serial/Episode... Errr.... that's tough... probably "Love & Monsters" despite my fear of the monster in the episode.

Alien/Monster... The Adipose, by far! They're so cute and cuddly... but so gross... cuz' they're real adipose!

Old or New.... New, cuz', again, that era's all I've seen...

KermieBaby47

Reaction score
BeakerBoy!! You just GOTTA watch the classic series man, it's "fantastic"! :big_grin: My family and I started with Matt's beginning, then went back to Chris and David, then went all the way back to some of 1 & 2 (not a big fan of them, but there are good stories), and I'm almost through all of 3 & 4, my favorite Doctors! Oh man, there's so many great companions and creatures, I just can't get enough. And the Doctors' themselves of course, just plain brilliant!! I was curious as to how the Doctor got to where he is today, and it's so cool to see his earlier adventures, and to be "in the know" with all the classic references in the new series'. Plus, you can watch 'em for free on a website called DailyMotion.com. :big_grin: After everyone's gone to sleep at night, I lay there watching Classic WHO on my wife's iPod Touch, it's great!

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score
----------------------------------------------------------
Anyone else think Paul McGann wasn't given a fair shake? The DWTVM was sooooo bad...but he was wonderful. I've heard a couple of his Big Finish adventures now, and he's good, a believable Doctor.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Didn't think the TV movie is deserving of a five O 'so' before the bad. In fact, I actually like it.

It was a huge mess, but it was fun to watch and Paul McGann was a great Doctor. Though, I guess I'm a little biased, because it was one of the first things I saw related to Doctor Who.

KermieBaby47

Reaction score
That reminds me, how about your favorites Zepp?!? :big_grin:

I still haven't seen the tv movie, but I'm trying to watch 'em in order, so I guess I have an excuse, lol. I've heard (and have seen several cool pics) that the movie Tardis interior is absolutely beautiful, and largely the base that the new series got their ideas from. Definitely looking forward to that.

Also, with my first order of figures from Mike's Toys, he threw in a free Big Finish audio adventure, "Max Warp" featuring the 8th Doctor. Again, I won't be listening to it until I'm at that point in the series! When I'm done, I'll be catching up on the audios as well, probably starting with "Shada".

Cheers!
Anthony