The Christmas Toy One of the Worst Specials Ever?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Stumbled onto this when trying to watch some clips of THE CHRISTMAS TOY online:

Now, I've never heard of this guy before, or seen any of his reviews, but right off that bat, something didn't seem right: for starters, he mentions in the description this is one of the worst Christmas specials (or movie, as he calls it) ever . . . then you see that this video actually has twice as many dislikes as likes, and a vast majority of the comments are people disagree with him.

The review is over half an hour long, so I haven't watched the whole thing, but the little that I did watch, it seems to me that this guy is another one of those Nostalgia Critic wannabes: his mannerisms and reviewing style are very reminiscent of Doug Walker's signature sarcasm and cynicism . . . he just doesn't fly off the handle and go berserk like NC does, so that makes the review itself really dull and uninteresting: NC flying off the handle and screaming his lungs out counterbalances his otherwise sarcastic and cynical review, and therefore, it's funny; this guy, on the other hand, it just plain sarcastic and cynical the whole way through . . . he might be a good fit for a show like WORLD'S DUMBEST, but for a full half hour of of just sitting there with that attitude isn't entertaining.

Nextly, I see a few comments where people complain he's overanalysing the whole special, and as you watch the review, you can see that's exactly what he's doing - so much so, in fact, that he's basically summing up the whole special as this dark tale of toy genocide, with undertones of isolationism and racism observed by a cast of hateful, selfish characters.

Yeah, like I said, I didn't really watch the whole thing, but whatever mathematical, analytical analysis this guy has for this special, like most of the people who have rated and comment, I can't agree with him on anything. The only thing I'm impressed with is he's aware that Rugby was performed (or voiced, as he says) by the same person who does Gonzo (Dave Goelz) . . . though, for some reason, he seems awestruck that people from TMS and FR worked on this . . . I guess he's not familiar enough with the Muppets or JHC to understand that it would make sense.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I got through about the first ten minutes of it and turned it off.
I remember this special and watched it once as a kid, and I liked it.To me it has a feel of Toy Story to it.
Anyways this review or whatever is just plain bad. If you can't find something nice at all to say don't say anything at all. Of course anyone that gives any work of Jim's real negative reviews loses points with me.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
I agree, the review was bad but I think even as Muppet fans it's okay to criticize Henson's work sometimes.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Something else I forgot to point out too, is that notice how this guy, almost right off the bat, talks about how bad the songs are, and bemoans that this is a musical special? That's another giveaway this guy's trying to be like Nostalgia Critic, because he always hates songs in movies - even when they're specifically musical movies: "Just because you're a musical doesn't mean you have to sing everything, you can just shut the **** up!"
I agree, the review was bad but I think even as Muppet fans it's okay to criticize Henson's work sometimes.
Hey, my personal disdain for VMX is no secret, nor is everybody else wanting to pretend that MFS, KSY, and MOZ don't even exist.