The Bob Newhart Thread

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I don't know if there's any other big Bob Newhart fans here, but I thought I'd start a thread for that great comedian and television actor, Bob Newhart.

Of course, I've mostly seen his work in television: The Bob Newhart Show, Newhart, even Bob and George & Leo. It seems he didn't star in many movies, but during a time in the 2000s it seems he had quite a few supporting roles (Legally Blonde 2, Elf). I am a big fan of his television shows, especially Newhart. It amazes me that Newhart was on longer than The Bob Newhart Show, yet The Bob Newhart Show seems to be more appreciated; Bob Newhart talked more about his first sitcom in his autobiography (which also seemed to focus more on his stand-up and funny stories about his personal life), most Bob Newhart documentaries I've seen tend to focus more on the first sitcom, and the first one was released on DVD sooner than the second one (and has more seasons available). But then again, both shows ended when they were still successful, by Bob Newhart's choice. If both shows ended when ratings dropped and people stopped caring, who knows which one would have lasted longer.

I haven't heard much of his stand-up. His autobiography does transcribe a number of his stand-up bits, and I have downloaded his "Bus Drivers School" routine on my iPod.

I remember when Newhart was added to the Nick at Nite line-up, and they did the "Bob's Bob Bob Newhart Newhart" marathon (featuring all of his first three sitcoms). There were a number of funny televison show parodies with Bob Newhart in that marathon (Mr. Bob, a parody of Mr. Ed, Mission: Bob, a parody of Mission: Impossible, The Bob Bunch, a parody of The Brady Bunch, and The Incredible Bob, a parody of The Incredible Hulk).

Interestingly, while The Bob Newhart Show had been on Nick at Nite, I didn't really watch that show much until Newhart was added to the Nick at Nite line-up. I saw a few episodes of Bob after I got TV Land (though TV Land seemed to drop the show a few months after I got it), and I watched George & Leo for pretty much the whole run. I'd like to see the variety show of the same name as The Bob Newhart Show, as well as The Entertainers (the one Bob Newhart series to not include any parts of his name). I wonder if there's a chance of any of those cancled shows getting a DVD release anytime soon.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
You're right about his movie career... seems like the only time he had a starring role, that I can think of, is him voicing Bernard, opposite Eva Gabor's Miss Bianca in The Rescuers movies.

I think I can understand his first sitcom being more appreciated and popular: it seems like whenever someone does things like that, it's always the first of what they do that people tend to remember more... I guess because that's when it was all new and fresh and whatnot.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
You're right about his movie career... seems like the only time he had a starring role, that I can think of, is him voicing Bernard, opposite Eva Gabor's Miss Bianca in The Rescuers movies.
Though I now remember once, back in 1998, I was at a video store, and saw a copy of a movie that I assume starred Bob Newhart. I can't remember it's title (I guess I'll have to search wikipedia or IMDB), but it appeared to invovle Bob Newhart playing a jogger.

I sort of wish Nick at Nite had a "Bob Newhart Show vs. Newhart" marathon. Newhart was added around the time that Nick at Nite was airing "vs." marathons (the Happy Days "Chachinated or DeChachinated" marathon, the Bewitched "Darren vs. Darren" marathon... Now i want to search the forum to see if we have threads for those shows here). Outside of the initial marathons, it seems Nick at Nite treated its other shows a bit better. Neither show was part of Nick at Nite's "Block Party Summer", there weren't many marathons (though now I remember the channel airing a "Roger Nelson Meets Howard Borden" marathon), and those shows seemed to have two airings a night (once in the hours when most people would be awake, the other in the really early morning time slot). Of course those shows seem more adult compared to most of the other shows on Nick at Nite at the time. Of course, back then Nick at Nite aired a lot more shows, in contrast to today when Nick at Nite seems to only show a few programs at a time, giving the shows multiple back-to-back airings in a single night.

I'm starting to wonder if "The Last Newhart" should be called overrated. It seems to be the most popular episode. Pretty much every Bob Newhart documentary I've seen includes coverage of the classic final scene (not sure if I should be concerned about "spoiling" the ending here). It's the only episode of Newhart included in the "TV Land To-Go" list of the top 100 sitcom episodes (while The Bob Newhart Show got two episodes included). Considering that Bob Newhart's wife suggested the idea for the ending during season six, I wonder if that's why the show started becoming more like Green Acres in later years. Still, I'm surprised it hasn't been parodied more (if Family Guy ever ends without being cancled I'd like it to have a Newhart-style ending). Then again it's rare to see parodies of either series anywhere (Mad Magazine did do a Newhart parody).

In Bob Newhart's autobiography, he said that the episode lasted longer than 30 minutes, and that the producers couldn't edit the episode further, so CBS originally aired it past the 30 minute mark (and a number of CBS stations didn't get the memo, cutting off the ending after 30 minutes). I wonder how they were able to edit it down so well in syndication. Has anybody here seen the original broadcast of the final episode?

JaniceFerSure

Reaction score
I've watched The Bob Newhart Show as a kid and Newhart. I have Newhart's autobiography, which I've read through several times and I've recently watched his comedy special on dvd. I am mostly familiar with his role as Maj. Major Major Major in the movie Catch-22: "No, Major is my name, not my rank."

Bob's delivery is very dry like toast, but his sense of humor and comedy routines are most impressive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Newhart

minor muppetz

Reaction score
One thing that I often wish is that Newhart had more noticable changes throughout its run. But then again, maybe the lack of changes is what kept the show on the air for so many years. But it would have been at least great if they changed the opening every year. I remember for a long time wondering what episodes are from what season between seasons 3 and 8. I knew when season 3 would begin and when season 8 would end, but I'd be unsure when exactly season 8 began and season 3 ended.

I really like the first season, which is quite different from later seasons (but then again, I usually do like the first seasons of shows). The first season was shot on video as opposed to film and I actually like the videotaped look (would I like it so much if they didn't switch to film afterwards? Well there are many shows that were shot on video the whole run, sometimes looking good and sometimes being so-so), and I feel it's a cool contrast how many of the first season episodes just begin inside the inn, as opposed to opening with an exterior shot of the inn or having opening music (though the first season often did show exterior shots, and a few later episodes of the season did begin with exterior shots). I really like Kirk Devane, who was only on the show for the first two seasons, though I can't decide who I like better between Leslie (the first season maid) and Stephanie. And while many shows do show clips from the episode within their closings, I really liked how the first season closing was just clips from the episode as opposed to a shot of the inn (the second season closing would begin with clips and then a shot of the inn, and this practice continued until the end of the thrid season).

It's a shame Newhart never had an anniversary special or reunion special (The Bob Newhart Show had a 19th anniversary reunion). For years I wondered if it was because of the ending of the last episode, but then I realised that an anniversary/reunion special doesn't exactly need to have the cast in character.

Of course, while Bob Newhart is great, I really like the supporting characters from his shows. On The Bob Newhart Show I like all of his patients, including Mr. Carlin, Mr. Peterson, and Mr. Herd, as well as Howard Borden. On Newhart my favorite characters are Kirk, Leslie, Stephanie, Larry, Darryl, and Darryl. It's been so long since I last saw either of his other sitcoms and can't really remember if those shows had any supporting characters who stood out for me.

I only saw Bob a few times. The week-long Bob Newhart marathon that launched Newhart on Nick at Nite showed Bob after my bedtime, and on the friday of that week (when I didn't have a bedtime) didn't show an episode of Bob (instead showing the Bob Newhart Show anniversary special). I remember thinking that since they referred to his character as a cartoonist I thought it meant animator (back then I only associated cartoonists with making animated cartoons), as opposed to a comic book artist. I've read a few things that point out that Bob McKaye was mean compared to Bob Hartly and Dick Loudin, but from my memories of seeing that show I don't remember Bob Newhart acting mean or different.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Yay! I love The Bob Newhart Show and Newhart- both are classic sitcoms that I'd rather watch than most anything on today. If only the rest of both series would get released to DVD.:smile:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Some of my favorite episodes of The Bob Newhart Show:
  • Fly the Unfriendly Skies - The first episode is good, with Emily revealing she's araid of flying.
  • P-I-L-O-T - The pilot episode was broadcast as the ninth episode. Interestingly, the Nick at Nite Classic TV Companion book apparently lists The Bob Newhart Show episodes in broadcast order, while listing episodes of other shows in production order. It is interesting to see the differences, such as the only appearance of short-lived neighbor Myrna Hoover's husband in place of Howard (the actor playing the husband sure looked a lot like Howard, and would later play Howard's brother in the episode "Warden Gordon Borden").
  • His Busiest Session - In my opinion the best of the Christmas episodes. Though I must wonder how they could do an episode with so many of Bob's patients and not include Mr. Carlin (though with the exceptions of Mrs. Bakerman and Michelle Nardo all of the other patients were exclusive to this episode; in fact this was Michelle's debut episode).
  • The Longest Goodbye - The first appearance of Cliff "The Peeper" Murdoch, played by Tom Poston (who would go on to play George Utley on Newhart).
  • The Battle of the Groups - The episode where Bob takes both of his main groups on a camping trip. Interestingly, a different old woman is included in place of Mrs. Bakerman, and Mr. Gienelli (and I might have the spelling wrong) is played by a different actor (Daniel Trivanti, who would later guest star as himself on the Newhart episode "A View from the Bench"). If Mrs. Bakerman was included here then this episode would have included all of Bob's patients in one episode.
  • Death be my Destiny - This episode was rightfully include in the 1997 "100 Greatest TV Episodes" list from TV Guide and Nick at Nite. This is the one where Bob accidently goes onto an empty elevador and becomes afraid of using the elevador.
  • Grand Delusions - Bob and Emily imagine having been married to different people.

And some of my favorite Newhart episodes:
  • In the Beginning... - I guess I'm a sucker for first episodes. It's interesting how in the first episode the title/credits are on a different font and the MTM cat makes a regular cat meow (as opposed to being voiced by Newhart).
  • This is Probably Condemned - The first appearance of the Minuteman Cafe, and (spoiler alert!) probably Kirk's most elaborate lie (in other episodes when he lies Dick or somebody questions him and he instantly admits his lie).
  • Ricky Nelson Up Your Nose - Kirk goes to the hospital for nose surgery, and has Larry, Darryl, and Darryl (in their second appearance) take over the cafe. Back when I first saw this episode, when Kirk made the episodes title statement regarding why he needed surgery, I didn't think he meant it literally; I thought his "I've got Ricky Nelson up my nose" statement (referring to his sisters bracelett with a picture of Ricky Nelson) was just an expression for his annoyance of Ricky Nelson (and I've noticed in recent years that many titles refer to one one of dialogue or small scene from the episodes).
  • The Boy Who Cried Goat - This episode seems to have fleshed out Kirk's personality the best. Interestingly, we never know for sure whether he really was telling the truth. I guess it's up to the viewer to decide, but I believe that he really was telling the truth (as I said previously, with the exception of his lie in This Probably is Condemned, he rarely told any elaborate lies and would usually admit his lies right away). He didn't seem to lie much after this episode. My favorite scenes include the lie detector test sequence and Dick telling Kirk the story of the boy who cried wolf. This episode featured a guest appearance by Brandon Maggart, who played Buddy of "Buddy and Jim" 'fame" during Sesame Street's first season.
  • Grandma, What Big Mouth You Have - This was also a great episode, which ended Kirk's love for Leslie. I'm pretty sure this was the last first season episode produced though it's the second-to-last first season episode broadcast, and although it's not officially a "goodbye" episode for Leslie, I wouldn't be surprised if the writers/producers knew this would be her last episode. Kirk settles for just being friends with Leslie, and I couldn't really imagine how their friendship would have turned out if Leslie lasted longer (but at least we didn't get Kirk dealing poorly with her leaving).
  • It Happened One Afternoon - the two-part second season premier was quite good, bringing in Stephanie as a regular character. Both plotlines (Stephanie getting her job and Dick meeting with a famous celebrity for a potential job to write her bography) were good and it's no wonder this was a two-part episode (both plotlines seem like they could have been two seperate episodes).
  • Lady and the Tramps - The episode where Stephanie met Larry, Darryl, and Darryl.
  • Best Friends - A funny episode with Kirk initially being concerned about news of a fast food restaurant opening, which could put his cafe out of buisness, until he learns that the owner is only interested in opening the restaurant where Kirk's cafe is, offering to make Kirk rich, which leads to Dick being mad at Kirk for selling.
  • Tell a Lie, Get a Check - As much as I like Kirk, the episode that explains his absense is pretty good, though those who've seen many later episodes would pretty much know how the episode ends regarding who the cafe gets sold to.
  • The Seven-Year Itch - An interestigng episode with Joanna going to a restaurant to meet with an old boyfriend. And she looked hot in her dress in this episode.
  • Candidate Larry - Larry runs for mayor, but in the end only gets three votes (though one of the Darryl's didn't vote for him). Those who regularly watched after this probably know that Chester becomes the mayor (though I didn't know it until I saw this episode).
    *]Dick the Pirate - It is funny when Dick takes over for an actor who plays a pirate on a children's show, only for the show to get canceled.
  • Desperately Seeking Susan - A very good two-part epsidoe, with Michael breaking up with Stephanie. This two-party seems to be one of the shows most dramatic episodes.
  • Night Moves - Dick and Joanna have a fight, leading to Dick looking for a place to sleep. I think this is the only episode where Larry doesn't say (or try to say) his catch phrase.
  • A Midseasons Night's Dream - Dick, George, Stephanie, Michael, and Larry all have dream sequences (I guess they couldn't fit in a sequence for Joanna). Larry's dream, wher ehe hosts The Tonight Show, is the highlight.
  • Newsweek - I think this episode, with Michael becomming a news producer and valuing important things, is probably the closest the show had to a "very special episode".
  • Good Neighbor Sam - I only saw this episode once, but it's funny. Bill Daily guest stars as a new neighbor. The scene where everybody debates over which one is Dick's best friend and then drawing names to determine their best friend (only for everybody to draw their own name) is funny.
  • The Last Newhart - Yes, I feel this episode is overrated, but I still feel it's a great episode.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
The Last Newhart - Yes, I feel this episode is overrated, but I still feel it's a great episode.
It's definitely a great episode- and I think it was largely unprecedented at the time as well. It definitely broke the 4th. wall (though other shows had and have done that too- "Moonlighting" had sort of a similar ending.)
But it is a classic "Newhart" episode for sure.:smile: