Since a whole season is too much...

ISNorden

Reaction score
A lot of fans have wished that entire seasons of Sesame Street's "classic" years were available on DVD. Of course, the length of an older season (130 episodes!) makes that impractical with today's costs and technology. The complete-season boxed sets that I've seen for commercial TV shows (like The Simpsons) cover much less material on a larger budget; a similar release for Sesame Street might cost as much as five seasons of a commercial program!

That obstacle made me think of a compromise that goes beyond the "premiere episodes only" approach used on the official DVDs, but might still fit within Sesame Workshop's budget and schedule. What if they had agreed to produce DVD sets featuring the "Top 10 Episodes" for each season, as chosen by a panel of fans who grew up watching Sesame Street during those years? (Seasons which featured a "trip week", like the cast going to Hawaii, could include a special-release set to cover the trip in addition to those ten choices.)

If Sesame Workshop had handled the Old School DVDs that way, what would YOUR "Top 10 Episodes" list look like for Seasons 1-10? (The earliest ones are probably harder, since I'm looking for complete shows instead of clips; but I'd still be interested in which choices you made and why.)

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Thanks a good idea, I mean a lot of shows have had the "Top Best" episodes DVDs. And sometimes I like those better because they do include the best episodes. With pure season sets, you have to deal with the bad episodes too, lol. (Not insulting SS there, just saying every show has its down days!)

Redsonga

Reaction score
I for one wish that street stories of older episodes were given more respect in their own right, it seems like every collection I've ever seen thinks one is just the same as the other to fans :frown:

Colbynfriends

Reaction score
One thing I thought of, What if they took out the inserts (besides the ones that were really inportant to the episodes), and Just showed the street sceans. THEN, the inserts could be bonus features (since I'm sure during the first season, alot of the inserts were showen multipal times). or would that just ruin it, its just an idea though.

ISNorden

Reaction score
One thing I thought of, What if they took out the inserts (besides the ones that were really inportant to the episodes), and Just showed the street sceans. THEN, the inserts could be bonus features (since I'm sure during the first season, alot of the inserts were showen multipal times). or would that just ruin it, its just an idea though.

That might work with the first two or three seasons, since those DID repeat inserts a lot...but during the later years, I'd say that inserts and street scenes were becoming equally important. Whichever organization these "top 10" discs used--straight-through play or turning the inserts into bonus clips--I'd want the series to stay consistent.

ISNorden

Reaction score
If anything; The Worms on the moon story Arc. I Love that.
That deserves to be a DVD set in its own right, like the trip weeks...possibly cut down to street scenes and the "Worms in Space" letter/number bits.

dwmckim

Reaction score
130 episodes (in their entirety) would definately be too much to ask for in a box set...BUT...

given that recent seasons are only 26 episodes, perhaps if SW ever DID decide to release something comparable to season box sets, they could do box sets where they release 26 episodes at a time...regardless of how many episodes a season being released might consist of.

I don't see it happening (and even if it did, i could see them doing this more with recent seasons than the older stuff), but if they did take this approach, the first set of 26 episodes would be "Season 1, Volume 1"

Taco Wiz

Reaction score
I'd rather them just upload all of the episodes to the Sesame Street website.