Shrek the Musical

BEAR

Reaction score
I just found out that a musical adaptation of Shrek is going to be on Broadway this year. It will be starring Sutton Foster (Thoroughly Modern Millie, The Drowsy Chaperone, Young Frankenstein) as Princess Fiona. Not sure yet who is set to play the title role.

It's funny because I almost auditioned for the initial staged reading of this project about a year ago, but was unable to do it. I guess I shouldn't be too surprised to already see it up on the big stage!

What do you think of this? How do you feel about these big blockbuster films being adapted for the stage? Catch Me if You Can is another one in the works with Nathan Lane in the Tom Hanks role from the movie.

IgorPonweed

Reaction score
Chris Sligh was originally contacted to play Shrek, but had an American Idol Tour contract. :stick_out_tongue:

Drtooth

Reaction score
What do you think of this? How do you feel about these big blockbuster films being adapted for the stage? Catch Me if You Can is another one in the works with Nathan Lane in the Tom Hanks role from the movie.

I'm not a fan of musicals. I like some of them (certain, weird ones), but not a big show tune fan. I don't know what to think of the movie musicals on the whole. Disney had some success early on, and then made critically reviled things like Tarzan. Mel Brooks did great with The Producers, though I want to see Young Frankenstine as well. Guess I'm gonna have to wait and see if he makes that a movie too. And I loved Spamalot. I really did.

Shrek, being a franchise now, doesn't seem too off, but Catch me if you Can? I really hate that idea, Nathan Lane or not. Legally Blonde? I didn't even like the movie. Big? That wasn't memorable, was it? Seems like it disappeared. They're running the heck out of ideas. It's almost as bad as Hollywood films, with the constant remakes and sequals to remakes.

IgorPonweed

Reaction score
I loved Avenue Q, so I hope the show is in the right hands. :embarrassed:

Maestro

Reaction score
Mel Brooks did great with The Producers, though I want to see Young Frankenstine as well. Guess I'm gonna have to wait and see if he makes that a movie too.
The musical Young Frankenstein is based on Mel Brooks' 1974 *not-musical* movie of the same name. Did you mean you are waiting on a movie version of the musical?

And personally, I love both musicals and the Shrek franchise, so seeing them put together is awesome!

Drtooth

Reaction score
The musical Young Frankenstein is based on Mel Brooks' 1974 *not-musical* movie of the same name. Did you mean you are waiting on a movie version of the musical?
Oh yeah. I'd love to see him make a movie version of the musical based on the old movie. Young Frankenstine is one of my favorite. Too bad I can't afford to get tickets to see it.

Avenue Q is playing in town, sad thing is I only have enough money to do something else that's happening at the same time. I was able to go to it another year, right after seeing Spamalot.. but that was almost a month after. I really hope they tour Boston again next year.

SSLFan

Reaction score
A Shrek musical? Well, this shall be interesting. Will it be based on all three Shrek films, or just the first? Either way, I hope it works out well.