1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Forum Upgrade May 25
    We will be upgrading our forum software on Saturday May 25. This is a major upgrade that will add many new features and enhance security.

3. Radionomy ends May 31
    Radionomy has announced that all US stations, including Muppet Central Radio, will be removed on May 31.

4. You Can Be a Muppeteer
    Watch the Sesame Street Puppeteer Workshop with the amazing Sesame Street performers: Jennifer Barnhart, Matt Vogel and Marty Robinson.

Dismiss Notice
  5. Sesame Street Season 49
    Sesame Street's 49th season officially began Saturday November 17 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Sesame Workshop and Sony join forces with Classic Media to acquire Henson

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by Phillip, May 6, 2003.

1. Phillip

Phillip Administrator Staff Member

2. Muppets1985

Muppets1985 Well-Known Member

Ahhhhhh OHhhhhhhh Noooooooooooo!!!!:grouchy: :mad: Booooo!!!:boo: As much as i LOVE SS & SWS (sesame workp shop) I DON"T want them to get Piggy & Palz. Come on Mickey get them Puppets oops lo i mean Muppets!!!!:eek: :smirk:

3. radionate

radionate Well-Known Member

Wow Phil, thanks for posting that. This seems like it will never end. How ironic that Sesame Workshop is now partnered to make a deal to buy the company it broke off from, even if only in minority form.

I don't see it happening though (and I may eat my words here).

4. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

This is kinda what I always hoped to see... sort of... just nix Classic Media.

With this, we can probably see Kermit the Frog back on Sesame, and Big Bird and Oscar as cameos in future Muppet Movies...

But this ain't gonna happen... I wish it could!

5. BoyRaisin2

BoyRaisin2 Well-Known Member

It's Mickey vs. Casper. The race (if you can call it that) is on. Don't give a care about Sesame owning Henson, but man, there's always drama.

Hope you lose, Casper and Big Bird!

6. muppet_dk

muppet_dk Well-Known Member

Hmmm this is an interesting turn of events here.

I don't have a clue who would be the best owner of JHC but I'am a bit positive of this news. I got a bad feeling about Disney, I don't really know why.

7. Jrobert

Jrobert Active Member

Sound like this is just pressure for Disney to pay more and hurry up.

8. Aaron

Aaron Well-Known Member

why are you all so negetive

9. smcguire

smcguire Well-Known Member

Since Columbia Tristar has treated the Muppets far better on DVD than Disney has (can you say "widescreen"), at least that aspect of this sounds positive.

--Scott McGuire

10. danielromens

danielromens Well-Known Member

Please God, let this happen. We've got an already proven Muppet Distributer, Classic who needs some hefty tv bulk, and Sesame who understands the real vision of Henson and the integrity of his characters. Also they have a wonderful relationship with the staff already.

Cross your fingers gang.

11. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I just hope this isn't one of those times Dizzy Sikes the companies out, then backs down...

12. Muppets1985

Muppets1985 Well-Known Member

:D ... ha ha ha I love it, Mickey vs Caspe, but as much as i love SS (and Big Bird for the most part) I hope they loose. Since Eisner is sooo "ubsest" I bet he'll (Disney) WILL offer the MOST money since this looks liek the last time ever that Disney may get there hands on the Muppets!!!!:) :)

13. sarah_yzma

sarah_yzma Well-Known Member

I think this is the best type of people to own the Muppets...yes it is improbable, but would be excellent if it happened...you have the movies without the possible tyrancy of Disney....

Sarah

14. trekkie1701E

trekkie1701E Well-Known Member

I agree. I mean, look at the basics: good movies; good television shows; great DVD releases; no cheap garbage (Which Eisner is most likely to do)

15. sarah_yzma

sarah_yzma Well-Known Member

now I agree with you! Eisner's past few moves have not been good ones. I think Sony/SWS knows more about that type of entertainment SWS knows the muppets (obviously) and Sony is not totally geared towards 3 year olds, and can help the muppets more than disney.

Sarah

16. trekkie1701E

trekkie1701E Well-Known Member

Since Disney had literally screwed the muppets before, I have to wonder if Sony/SSW feel that they would have a much better chance to further the muppets along (Rather than moving them backward).

I really hope that they beat out Eisner. Henson has a much better chance w/Sony/SW

17. Hat Sharpener

Hat Sharpener Well-Known Member

Not to re-hash the endless Disney pro/con debate, but here is an interesting (I hope) perspective on the same old argument:

Funny thing is, I never used to see Disney as evil up until a couple years ago when this drama started...

Suddenly, I was faced with comparing Disney and Henson one on one, and in terms of
    1. product
    2. vision
    3. corporate philosophy
    there really is no comparisson...

Everytime Disney takes another step towards aquiring Henson, I like them less... which is too bad, because Disney has redeeming qualities in their own right. Just keep them away from my Muppets, and I'll be fine...

Up until this point I haven't seen any alternatives to Disney that look better, but I'd have to say that something about Sony/Sesame/Classic just feels better to me on a intuitive level.

- Derek