"Sesame Street's 50th Anniversary Celebration" special to air November 9 on HBO and November 17 on PBS

Status
Not open for further replies.

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
I don't mean to start a fight or anything, but I find Stinky to be a LOT more tolerable than Murray...
I am the only one who finds it weird right after Joey left Murray is just collecting dust in the Henson workshop.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
I am the only one who finds it weird right after Joey left Murray is just collecting dust in the Henson workshop.
It happens sometimes. Murray is Joey's baby, and the format didn't require him anymore.
Apparently everybody on this forum hates Stinky, so. . . .
I think Stinky is hilarious!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I guess. It makes sense: Murray was essentially created to give Joey his own, signature character on the street.

DatH

Reaction score
Personally I prefer the dancing elephant, though even that was a stretch

D'Snowth

Reaction score
That would be Horatio. Or, at the very least, that's who the elephant was whenever Joey played him. Otherwise, he was a generic elephant Muppet they used from time to time. Sometimes Marty would play him, making him kind of a posh, pompous character.

cahuenga

Reaction score
I like Stinky, but not Murray...besides, I felt Joey was consuming too much screen time...since he left we,ve seen a lot of the classic characters and a chance to other performers like Peter, Tyler, Stephanie and Jennifer to shine on the show, The last seasons before season 46 were too much about fairy tale characters performed by Joey, and the recent seasons was more the Sesame Street I recall, and the classic characters. So for me, Joey´s departure has enriched the show.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I tend to like characters whose intent is to be funny. Like, sure, Zoe and Rosita can have funny moments, but they weren't created to be "funny" characters. Someone like Stinky was. Stinky I never minded, because he was funny. The Elephant - yeah, maybe the voice was a little much, but again, usually funny.

Murray was funny too. The issue I kind of have with him is that there isn't much of a "character" to him, even for as long as he was on the show. I refer you to the Nerd HQ panel with Joey, Eric and David, and also watch some interview with Jim and Kermit; Joey makes a lot of jokes through Murray, but they come off exactly like that. Jim as Kermit would say remarks specific to Kermit and not necessarily Jim. I do feel kinda bad he got shafted after Joey left (not that they won't recast him; they have tons of material they could re-use, but he's just dropped off the face of the Earth). I'd hope he can make a background cameo in the 50th special.

The last seasons before season 46 were too much about fairy tale characters performed by Joey, and the recent seasons was more the Sesame Street I recall, and the classic characters. So for me, Joey´s departure has enriched the show.
That's not something that's stopped; there were a few of those just last season. Classic characters coming back after Joey left seems like pure coincidence, not a correlation.

DatH

Reaction score
There isn't much point in bringing them back if the sketches aren't that entertaining

Status
Not open for further replies.