Sesame Street Special "Sesame Street's 50th Anniversary Celebration"

cjd874

Reaction score
So I finally watched this special on the PBS website. HOLY M-ERF-ING CRAP. I give it a solid A.
Here's what I didn't really go for:
  • That arrangement of "People in Your Neighborhood." I love Nile Rogers, but it sounded too choppy and it just didn't flow that well.
  • Mumford's new performer doesn't have the voice down just yet. Same for Sherlock's performer.
  • I wish Gordon, Leela, and Miles had more screen time.
  • Maybe a re-enacted (or brand-new) Elmo's World scene with Mr. Noodle? I would have gotten a kick out of seeing that.
  • Not much of a plot, but I know that it was supposed to be more of a retrospective special.
Here's what I really liked:
  • The variety of songs that they drew upon: Welcome, People in Your Neighborhood, Put Down the Duckie, I Love Trash, ABC-DEF-GHI, C is for Cookie, Elmo's Song...sure it was all a hit parade but I appreciated it nonetheless.
  • Solange Knowles, Elvis Costello, and Norah Jones had the best musical performances. And that nod to Will Lee in the "Bread, Milk, Butter" song made me very emotional.
  • They brought back Luis, Bob, Maria, Gordon, Susan, Gina, Leela, Miles, and LINDA!!! And then FRAN BRILL and CAROLL SPINNEY popped up at the end!
  • The deluge of "retired" Muppet cameos (Horatio, Grundgetta, Betty Lou, Don Music, Harvey Kneeslapper). And I nearly screamed when I heard how good Captain Vegetable sounded. I got chills because it sounded JUST like Jim Henson...
  • The quote from the cold open: "WHERE TO, MAC?" JUST BRILLIANT!!!
  • I would watch an HOUR of Ryan Dillon performing Lefty the Salesman. Holy crap, he NAILED that performance. His Don Music wasn't too bad, either.
  • The ending animations were pretty cool. Was glad to see King of Eight, Alligator King, Pinball Number Count, Ladybug Picnic, etc.
  • Overall I give this special 48/50 stars.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
What was it about Ryan's Don that you weren't crazy about? Too British sounding or too-much bravado in his voice? Ryan has said Don Music is one of his favorite characters, so when he got the part, I'm sure he looked at any sketch he could get his hands on.
It just didn’t really sound like he was trying at all. Granted, we only heard like one line from him, but I just found the voice to be a bit too deep for me.

Last edited:

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Now, if we were to have a comeback skit with Don where we hear more of his voice (given the fact that nobody bothered to record the SS panel at San Diego Comic Con this year), maybe my mind will change. But I don’t see it happening, sooo..... 🤷🏿‍♂️

D'Snowth

Reaction score
As far as Mumford goes, John Kennedy sounds like he's doing more of an exaggerated impression of W.C. Fields than Jerry Nelson did. It actually works, TBH; matter of fact, it reminds me a lot of Walker Edmiston's W.C. Fields impression for the voice of Ludicrous Lion from H.R. PUFNSTUF.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Frankly, I would be fine if John Kennedy went with the delivery he used in the Halloween video (skip to 7:44):

I agree; he's trying to do a direct W.C. Fields voice now and it doesn't work for me. I honestly didn't mind Matt's Sherlock or Ryan's Don. I mean, we're really not gonna see these guys anymore, so it's not much to worry about.

But do keep your ears open for Matt's Biff this season...

Cookie3001

Reaction score
I was very excited to see Goldilocks even if the character wasn't exactly the same as she was before and seeing Horatio was also a nice surprise, I thought that puppet was probably down for the count

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
I wonder why Goldilocks never has a consistent performer anymore.
Why, just this past season Stephanie D'Abruzzo played her (for I think, the first time?). I quite liked her portrayal.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
So, the DVD release of this is a bit weird: the Solange song is cut (as is the scene in the Laundromat before it). And after the main part of the special, it goes to a bunch of those Sesame Memory videos, but now, after each one, a full clip is shown (either relating to do the memory or what was directly discussed, making it seem a little repetitive).