Sesame Street Special "Sesame Street's 50th Anniversary Celebration"

DePingPong

Reaction score
Loved the special, just not a huge fan of Joseph GL. Other than that, still a fantastic special

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
I really wish that I could've seen it, but I'll have to wait until the 17th due to not having HBO.

wiley207

Reaction score
Ha! The taxi driver saying in an Oscar the Grouch-esque voice "Where to, Mac?"
Ooooh, I spotted Captain Vegetable in Hooper's Store!
It was especially great to see Linda again amongst the classic cast members! Even Leela returned as well.
I also enjoyed seeing Herry Monster and Hoots the Owl as part of the band. A nice blast from my past.
LOL at Joe mistaking Don Music for Guy Smiley, and vice versa! Ryan Dillon sounded pretty close to Richard Hunt there. And was that Dillon, Matt Vogel or Eric Jacobson as Harvey Kneeslapper?
John Kennedy's Amazing Mumford sounds even more like W.C. Fields than the late Jerry Nelson did!
I spotted Forgetful Jones and Roosevelt Franklin in Hooper's, too! I also liked the use of Jim Henson's "Ten chocolate-layer cakes!" voice track.
Joe being chromakeyed into those three classic moments was amusing, too, and surprisingly well-done. The bit with Cookie Monster teaching Sterling his cookie-eating technique was funny as well, especially when Sterling figured he didn't get any cookies in his mouth.
I'm not surprised Matt Vogel performed Sherlock Hemlock; he does have that knack with Jerry's old Muppets, and he handled Sherlock pretty well. But who performed Captain Vegetable? He sounded fairly close to Jim.
"Another sunny day!" Yeah, until Count von Count starts laughing...
I also enjoyed Joe's reaction to seeing Kermit the Frog as well. And Kermit's duet with Elvis Costello was really nice. I also thought it was cool hearing those classic songs sung by the Muppets' current performers during that medley. Though of course, Bob and Susan's voices haven't changed very much when they sang "One of These Things."
The new animation of the "I Can Remember" girl strolling down Sesame Street was fun as well.
I also thought it was sweet that Gina got to meet and interact with Julia.
Ryan Dillon does a spot-on Lefty! And WOW, Christopher Hayes is so spot-on with Hoots the Owl! I also enjoyed how for their rendition of "Put Down the Duckie," they included Itzhak Perlman as one of the celebrities in the song, like the version from the 80s!
Oooh, Horatio Elephant! Whoever performed his single line, his voice wasn't as screechy and cracking like when Joey Mazzarino played him, giving him that teenager-boy-going-through-puberty sound.
Heh, Snuffy's voice sounded a little muffled, probably because of how Marty was inside the suit. I also loved seeing Fran Brill and Caroll Spinney's cameos. And I also loved when they showed the group of classic/minor/obscure Muppets singing, including Little Bird!
I also loved the ending credits referencing many of their classic animated segments, even the Bridgekeeper and Suzie Kabloozie! Magnetic Dreams did a good job there.

I gotta hand it to SesameWorkshop/CTW, they really outdid themselves for this milestone celebration! It's the best anniversary they ever had!

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
My main complaint with this special was Ryan Dillon as Don Music.

pretty terrible if you ask me:smirk:

Schfifty

Reaction score
And was that Dillon, Matt Vogel or Eric Jacobson as Harvey Kneeslapper?
Probably Eric, cause Harvey was an Oz character.

Ha! The taxi driver saying in an Oscar the Grouch-esque voice "Where to, Mac?"
Yup, very clever and nice indeed! :grouchy:

And yeah, the credits were phenomenal. It was great to see some of Bud Luckey's toons in there, along with the more obscure ones like the Bridgekeeper and Suzie like you mentioned, and it was also cool to see the Muppets animated. 'Tis a winner!

Froggy Fool

Reaction score
Wow, that was absolutely phenomenal! The cameos were so fun, the guest stars were great, there was a ton of stunning music arrangements, and the old cast is back!!!! Also... KERMIT!!!! This was his first speaking appearance on the show since... when exactly? Early 2000s? But yeah. I think the only criticism I have is JGL was in it perhaps a bit too much. There wasn't enough of a focus on the actual human characters on the show.

Overall, I would give this a 9.5/10. Pretty frickin good!

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
As soon as I heard the taxi-driver speak in Caroll's Oscar voice saying "Where to, Mac?" I knew I was in for a real treat. There were lots of great appearances by fan-favorite characters, Don Music and Lefty played by Ryan Dillon, Harvey Kneeslapper played by Eric Jacobson, Sherlock Hemlock played by Matt Vogel, Captain Vegetable played by Peter Linz. I wanna know who played Horatio, can't figure it out. Kermit's duet with Elvis Costalo was nice. I really liked Gina meeting Julia. I kinda wish Fran interacted with Zoe and Prairie and Caroll interacted with Big Bird and Oscar. I also liked Gonger meeting Kermit even if it was brief. Pardon me for rambling, but I really liked Megan's Count Me In. I could go on.

Last edited:

wiley207

Reaction score
Harvey Kneeslapper played by Eric Jacobson, Sherlock Hemlock played by Matt Vogel, Captain Vegetable played by Peter Linz.
I'm not surprised Eric Jacobson performed Harvey, given how he can nail the Frank Oz voices. He even had the laugh down! And as for Peter Linz as Captain Vegetable, that's not too surprising, given how much he sounded like Jim Henson.